Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: On the fringes of the MCU [Endgame spoilers pg. 19]

Corvinus85

So, they really are doing that one SciFi theme that they haven't done (nor has MCU in general) before this season, and that wasn't even the biggest twist in these two episodes (also, I thought it was kind of obvious early after that guy's speech - I didn't get it in the trailer since they cut the lines that were more revelatory).

1.) Surely it'll be resolved before IW is released, and definitely before part 2.

2.) Even if it isn't resolved before IW is released, I doubt the writers would truly change their entire show to kowtow to the whims of the films. This'll almost certainly be sorted out in house.

I liked it. I think Deke proved not to be much of a Starlord rip off. I like the setting, the premise, and the Roman Kree governor. My main worry is that the setting will be a little small, but given we've only seen bits of it, it's a little hard to guess the scale of it.

12 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Yeah, it's S.P.E.A.R. :P

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at that I almost chocked. But I've had intense argument son another site about how Marvel doesn't have the rights to S.W.O.R.D. and dispite that being confirmed by several show runners and people who work on the show multiple times, every one yelled at me and told me I'd be eating my words come the premiere, so, you take what victories you can, I guess.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

1.) Surely it'll be resolved before IW is released, and definitely before part 2.

2.) Even if it isn't resolved before IW is released, I doubt the writers would truly change their entire show to kowtow to the whims of the films. This'll almost certainly be sorted out in house.

I liked it. I think Deke proved not to be much of a Starlord rip off. I like the setting, the premise, and the Roman Kree governor. My main worry is that the setting will be a little small, but given we've only seen bits of it, it's a little hard to guess the scale of it.

Deke really isn't much like Starlord. But the kreepy governor (I know, I know, it's a low hanging fruit and everyone is making that pun, but it's hard not to use it) is like a blue Commodus from Gladiator.

Any theories on who/what the guy from the opening scene was? That scene reminded me of the opening scenes of Lost season 2 and season 3 (of course, AoS already had an episode start with a similar scene - only with Jemma rather than an unknown character - it was episode 2.3). 

I'm not sure how I feel about time travel being introduced. I love many TT stories, but they can also turn out really badly. AoS had previously established in 3.15 (Spacetime) that the future - and logically that should refer to the past as well - cannot be changed. I guess now we'll learn that Fitz was wrong after all? If not, the story would be way too bleak and hopeless. But the whole changing the past thing can result in some messy plots and questionable logic.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I don't think so.  Infinity War premieres April 25.  The show usually starts in September, and goes until May.  This premiering in December suggests it could end in July or August.  Could be this season in space, next season back on Earth in an alternate timeline before Avengers 4 fixes everything.

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't think so.  Infinity War premieres April 25.  The show usually starts in September, and goes until May.  This premiering in December suggests it could end in July or August.  Could be this season in space, next season back on Earth in an alternate timeline before Avengers 4 fixes everything.

It premiered in December because of Inhumans, not because of Infinity War. There is no reason whatsoever for the show to run till July or August - if the show doesn't go on long hiatuses again, it can air the season finale in May, especially if the season finale is a double episode. This season is the first time they did a double episode season opener. 

I also don't see an entire season being about this plotline. This show usually goes through a plot much faster (excepz for season 1, when they had to stall for Winter Soldier. I don't see the show ever being that tied to the movies again - it hasn't been since TWS) and last year's 3 pod structure was very well received. I think they have said they have just two rather than 3 this year. That can also mean less or less long hiatuses.   

I think they are continuing with the formula they had last season, meaning 7-8 episodes per story arc. I honestly don't see this being good for an entire season, but if they keep to the formula, it can be. I was nervous about the LMD and Framework arcs last season, and those turned out to be brilliant, so hopefully this one will, too. Also, Fitz needs to be in this in some capacity.

I got chills at the end of the first part of the premiere, when we all learn what happened to the Earth through different POVs. 

As to the connection to Infinity War, right now my prediction is that Thanos is responsible for what happened, the Avengers get their ass kicked in the first movie, but with all important piece of info that AoS provides, the Avengers return in the second film to turn things around, and save the Earth.

12 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm not sure how I feel about time travel being introduced. I love many TT stories, but they can also turn out really badly. AoS had previously established in 3.15 (Spacetime) that the future - and logically that should refer to the past as well - cannot be changed. I guess now we'll learn that Fitz was wrong after all? If not, the story would be way too bleak and hopeless. But the whole changing the past thing can result in some messy plots and questionable logic.

Good point on the time travelling issue. I guess we'll see, though if the infinity stones are involved, you can pretty much throw all laws of physics out of the proverbial window.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

As to the connection to Infinity War, right now my prediction is that Thanos is responsible for what happened, the Avengers get their ass kicked in the first movie, but with all important piece of info that AoS provides, the Avengers return in the second film to turn things around, and save the Earth.

I just can't see that. Marvel studios is not gonna let the SHIELD team be the key to defeating Thanos. Anyway it'd basically mean the show treads water while waiting for the movies to fix everything. Plus as discussed above I don't think the timeline works out. While I suspect Ant-Man and the Wasp is set before Infinity War, I don't think that's been confirmed. Obviously the planet needs to exist for that movie to happen on. 

I read somewhere a while back that they were planning an Inhumans crossover later in the season. That plan might have changed when Inhumans turned out to suck. But I've seen speculation elsewhere that Black Bolt may have opened his big mouth and destroyed the Earth. 

Edit: Yeah it does seem that Ant-Man takes place before Infinity War, so forget that.

Set after the events of Captain America: Civil War, Scott Lang tries to balance his home life as a father with his responsibilities as Ant-Man, when Hope van Dyne and Hank Pym present him with a new mission, requiring him to team up with van Dyne as the new Wasp.[1]

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I just can't see that. Marvel studios is not gonna let the SHIELD team be the key to defeating Thanos. Anyway it'd basically mean the show treads water while waiting for the movies to fix everything.

Prior to Avengers 2, the AoS team discovered the location of Von Strucker's base and passed on the info, and the movie opened with the Avengers attacking that base. So maybe the AoS team won't do something vital for the Infinity War plot, but at least a similar tie in may happen.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

IMDb spoilers.

Hide contents

Fitz is credited to appear next episode.

And in episode 5 a certain Lance Hunter will be back.

IMDB is not a terribly reliable source. But there are some spoilers for episode 5 in the episode info/synopsis that's been released recently (I mostly try to avoid them now, but I saw this one on SpoilerTV... it's not terribly spoilery, IMO, and it's just something fans have speculated about, but still, be careful:

Episode 5.5. Rewind seems to be an episode focused on Fitz and his attempts to solve the problem/get his friends back. It's written by Craig Titley, who wrote 4,772 Hours (aka the flashback episode with Simmons on Maveth), so I think it may be Fitz' version of that, and entirely focused on him, with minor or no appearances by other characters.

• 2 weeks later...

So as mentioned the IMDb thing was credit only.

I saw you 616 reference!

(later) Oh, it's no fun if you do it twice.

Glad we got to see the more human coloured Kree again, if I am correct this is the first we've seen since Korath in Guardians.

I'm getting a really graphic testicle metaphor from Sinara constantly rubbing her big steely balls in peoples faces. They could really dial that down a bit.

That lift scene music was giving me mild Matrix Reloaded vibes. Whilst that film was terrible it's soundtrack was great.

Glad that the whole hanging out on the ceiling thing didn't work flawlessly.

The guy they sent to get killed by the Zerg Vrellnexians (real comic race from the 70's) really made me think of Goldberg. And Tess really makes me think of Rachel Weisz.

There really shouldn't be an atmosphere, or decent gravity, on what remains of Earth.

I really like Mack, he's great. But I didn't massively need the killing/no killing thing.

And good thing May reminded us that they really haven't had a break from all the Framework shit, that type of thing often gets forgotten too much in shows. of course they're not really going to develop on this much, so it's more pointlessly lamp shading it.

Deke's betrayal will of course not be a betrayal, but I like how they're playing up Daisy's ill thought out plan being her trying to deflect from thinking she's destroyed Earth.

And hell I am falling for the showriters trap, I like the pairing so much. Goddamnit, all aboard the ship I guess.

44 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

So as mentioned the IMDb thing was credit only.

I saw you 616 reference!

(later) Oh, it's no fun if you do it twice.

Glad we got to see the more human coloured Kree again, if I am correct this is the first we've seen since Korath in Guardians.

I'm getting a really graphic testicle metaphor from Sinara constantly rubbing her big steely balls in peoples faces. They could really dial that down a bit.

That lift scene music was giving me mild Matrix Reloaded vibes. Whilst that film was terrible it's soundtrack was great.

Glad that the whole hanging out on the ceiling thing didn't work flawlessly.

The guy they sent to get killed by the Zerg Vrellnexians (real comic race from the 70's) really made me think of Goldberg. And Tess really makes me think of Rachel Weisz.

There really shouldn't be an atmosphere, or decent gravity, on what remains of Earth.

I really like Mack, he's great. But I didn't massively need the killing/no killing thing.

And good thing May reminded us that they really haven't had a break from all the Framework shit, that type of thing often gets forgotten too much in shows. of course they're not really going to develop on this much, so it's more pointlessly lamp shading it.

Deke's betrayal will of course not be a betrayal, but I like how they're playing up Daisy's ill thought out plan being her trying to deflect from thinking she's destroyed Earth.

And hell I am falling for the showriters trap, I like the pairing so much. Goddamnit, all aboard the ship I guess.

I'm surprised at how many people (going by Youtube reactors and comments) bought the "betrayal" thing and didn't see the obvious setup. They've all but made it obvious with his comment about the "long game".

The storyline is interesting, but I've been frustrated with how the main characters have been written in these 3 episodes. Surely, with all their experience, they should be acting smarter and trying to get a scoop on things and come up with some sort of a plan, instead of running around all guns ablaze? Could they at least listen to the people who have lived their entire lives in that world and try to see their perspective? Simmons being unable to control herself and not yell at Kasius and the blue balls lady was bad enough (that would have made sense for season 1 Simmons - for season 5 Simmons, not so much), but now Daisy is acting like a bull in a china shop, and I'm already groaning at how she's only going to realize later that Deke has a plan. I wish she was on it, but she obviously isn't.

I'm starting to get the impression that the writers tend to forget that she is supposed to be an intelligent, clever and resourceful character - those were her main strengths, apart from hacking, when she was introduced in season 1 - because she has superpowers now, so hey, who needs to use brains when you can just quake everyone? <_< 

Archived