Favorite POV in each book?

coolsaladgirl93

Who is your favorite POV in each book?

For AGoT Sansa's POV is easily my favorite, the way everything falls apart at the end, it's frustrating but I feel for her

ACoK is Tyrion. Tyrion can be kind of dumb in these chapters and plays right into Varys' plans a lot, but he's an entertaining character nonetheless and the chapters are a ton of fun

ASoS is tough so I'm going to cop out and say both Jaime and Davos, their chapters are just stellar

AFfC is also tough because I love the Ironborn and Dornish plots, but the end of Cersei's chapters is so satisfying, watch it all come tumbling down for her actually made me laugh out loud reading it. I also think the politics in King's Landing is at it's most interesting here. The Sparrow movement is one of the best thing about the book and I'm eager to learn more in upcoming books

And last but not least ADwD. This one is easy, Theon. Theon's chapters in this book are excellent, and Theon I, ADwD is my favorite in the whole series. I feel so bad for poor Theon and Jeyne Poole, and Bran wind whispering to Theon in the Godswood always gets me choked up

I'll also say my favorite sample chapter from TWoW is The Forsaken

Anyway, what are your favorites?

AGoT 1. Eddard 2.Tyrion 3.Jon
ACoK 1.Tyrion 2.Arya 3. Jon  
ASoS 1.Cat (because Red Wedding) 2.Tyrion 3. Jon
AFfC 1. Arya 2. Sam 3. Jaime ...and 999. DORNE. I hated Dorne. If Martin introduced one Dorne-based POV that would have been cool but THREE?! WHY???
ADwD 1. Theon 2. Jon 3. Davos (Even though he only got four chapters they stuck out because I was fearing for his life^^)

Too lazy to give reasons. I favor Tyrion, Jon and Arya which probably makes me the most mainstream reader possible :D

I would have included Dany but her chapters are always either really good or really annoying (MEEREEN) so idk.

AGoT:

1. Eddard

2. Arya

3. Cat

ACoK:

1. Theon

2. Davos

3. Tyrion

ASoS:

1. Tyrion (mostly because of his interactions with Tywin)

2. Arya

3. Jaime

3. Merret Frey

AFfC:

1. Jaime

2. Victarion

3. Sansa

ADwD:

1. Theon

2. Jon Connington

3. Kevan

3. Jaime

3. Asha

3. Victarion

3. Areo (I like his chalter because a lot of interesting things are happening around him)

3. Tyrion (until he met Jorah)

3. Davos

Way too many characters with one or two great chapters that I have to mention here.

3 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

ADwD:

1. Theon

2. Jon Connington

3. Kevan

3. Jaime

3. Asha

3. Victarion

3. Areo (I like his chalter because a lot of interesting things are happening around him)

3. Tyrion (until he met Jorah)

3. Davos

Way too many characters with one or two great chapters that I have to mention here.

Dance has so many amazing chapters and events happening, I'm genuinely baffled that a lot of fans disliked it, same goes for Feast

I like Jon's POV in every book he's in.

AGOT- I love Eddard's even more so now that I just started my first re-read

ACOK- Davos, a very cool perspective

ASoS- I agree with Cat for the Red Wedding and Arya because the Journey with the Hound was awesome

AFFC- Jaime, because he was a boss in this book.

ADWD- Jon is still my favorite and definitely the best in this book

2 minutes ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

Dance has so many amazing chapters and events happening, I'm genuinely baffled that a lot of fans disliked it, same goes for Feast

I agree. I really enjoy both of them, my only problem is Cersei in Feast (interesting things around her but it is so so hard to read because I get angry at least twice on every page) and Arys. Others (except Arya) were really really good, oh and I agree that IB and Dornish are very interesting, I do not know why people hate them so much, especially Victarion. In Dance I still didnt enjoy so much reading Arya, Tyrion with Jorah and some chapters of Daenerys, but others were very good. I really like how we got many characters with couple of chapters and introduction of JonC, Barristan, Kevan (too bad we had only one chapter) and Quentyn (yes I am one of those that like him and his chapters) was welcomed. I would also like to say that Jon has best story by far in Dance, a story that isnt borin, quite oposite actually.

9 minutes ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

Dance was awesome, but Feast felt like the pacing was off... Some of the chapters just seemed to drag on.  Supposedly there is a way to read Feast and Dance concurrently and I bet it's amazing

7 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

I agree. I really enjoy both of them, my only problem is Cersei in Feast (interesting things around her but it is so so hard to read because I get angry at least twice on every page) 

On my first reading of Feast I hated Cersei's POV with a passion, on my rereads I think it's really funny the way she puts all the pieces into place for her own downfall at the end. She thinks she's her father's daughter but she is so, so dumb

9 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

JonC, Barristan, Kevan (too bad we had only one chapter) and Quentyn (yes I am one of those that like him and his chapters) was welcomed. I would also like to say that Jon has best story by far in Dance, a story that isnt borin, quite oposite actually.

Jon Connington and Barristan were great. The Epilogue with Kevan is amazing, easily in the Top 5 best moments of the series. I also enjoyed Quentyn's chapters and agree 100% that Jon's POV in Dance is his best. Also, I'd like to say Asha's chapters were good too, if only because we got to see more Stannis lol

12 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

Dance was awesome, but Feast felt like the pacing was off... Some of the chapters just seemed to drag on.  Supposedly there is a way to read Feast and Dance concurrently and I bet it's amazing

I actually like the slow pacing of Feast, it would be way too much for a crazy fast paced book right after ASoS imo, but I understand not liking it

I actually plan on using the chapter guide for Feast and Dance concurrently on the reread I just started

1 minute ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

I think it's due to the change of pace after Storm which closed off the first three books, coupled with (especially for Feast) the disappearance of some favourite characters and a dislike for some of the new characters, from whom we still need to see a pay-off. Plus, due to the Battles of Fire and Ice being moved from Dance to Winds, Dance kinda lacked an ending. Also, the extended travellogues give the books a feel of being bloated. This is also the major criticism for the Brienne-chapters despite having some of the best of GRRM's writing in them (the broken men speech). 

I did like the books and the new characters though, and for Feast I would name Arianne as my favourite POV. In Dance, I think Theon's chapters are the best. Even though we had Theon's POV in Clash, due to him being transformed into Reek he also feels like a new character to me.

For the first three books I'm going with The Ned, Tyrion and Jaime. Jon is my favourite POV overall, he just never makes the top spot in a single book.

6 minutes ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

I actually like the slow pacing of Feast, it would be way too much for a crazy fast paced book right after ASoS imo, but I understand not liking it

I actually plan on using the chapter guide for Feast and Dance concurrently on the reread I just started

You should let me know how it goes!

8 minutes ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

The lack of an ending I do understand actually, but despite that, combined Dance/Feast is my favorite in the series

I think that, once the series is over and the new storylines from Feast and Dance have shown their impact in the coming books, Feast and Dance will get the appreciation they deserve. Unless they turn out to be meaningless of course, but I don't believe that will be the case.

46 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

I agree that IB and Dornish are very interesting, I do not know why people hate them so much, especially Victarion.

It might be because there are so many new POV characters. It’s hard to get into their story while they’re competing with other characters who the reader already knows since three to four books. For example I found it hard to get into Davos POV in ACoC but over time he grew on me and now he’s one of my favorite characters. But in the case of Dorne and the IB there’s not only one but several new characters who all have a different backstory that needs to be told. It’s kind of overwhelming. Too many new places, names and past events for the average reader. On the other hand the details are probably great for people who are familiar with the world and the story.

Might be I learn to appreciate the new POVs in TWoW or on my second read-through. I definitely hope so.

53 minutes ago, coolsaladgirl93 said:

On my first reading of Feast I hated Cersei's POV with a passion, on my rereads I think it's really funny the way she puts all the pieces into place for her own downfall at the end. She thinks she's her father's daughter but she is so, so dumb

Jon Connington and Barristan were great. The Epilogue with Kevan is amazing, easily in the Top 5 best moments of the series. I also enjoyed Quentyn's chapters and agree 100% that Jon's POV in Dance is his best. Also, I'd like to say Asha's chapters were good too, if only because we got to see more Stannis lol

Yeah, I know I am supposed to find that funny after a while,  but she still annoys me. 

I agree, oh and Stannis is main reason why I like Asha's chapters so much, but even without him I could still enjoy it (Kraken's daughter was great).

And Asha I WoW will witness battle with Freys so I guess it will be really good, too.

17 minutes ago, Land's End said:

It might be because there are so many new POV characters. It’s hard to get into their story while they’re competing with other characters who the reader already knows since three to four books. For example I found it hard to get into Davos POV in ACoC but over time he grew on me and now he’s one of my favorite characters. But in the case of Dorne and the IB there’s not only one but several new characters who all have a different backstory that needs to be told. It’s kind of overwhelming. Too many new places, names and past events for the average reader. On the other hand the details are probably great for people who are familiar with the world and the story.

Might be I learn to appreciate the new POVs in TWoW or on my second read-through. I definitely hope so.

Well, first time it is pretty confusing, but on reread it gets much better.

4 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I think the re-read will help a lot.  I know AGOT is different on the re-read alone.

I also imagine some of the secondary POV's won't survive TWOW

I believe some primary POV's wont survive, too.

Archived