U.S. Elections: Apocalypse upon the horizon

lokisnow

6 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

This quote makes Former President George W. Bush look like a regular wordsmith. 

And yet he was nominated.

There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame on...fool me can't get fooled again!

4 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I agree. Take away the trappings of office and they're just a married couple with the same problems and the same feelings as anyone else. 

Hahaha. Hilarious.

Those two narcissistic, psychopathic political robots have human feelings? Must be the funiest thing I've ever read on this site.

Maybe it's just me, but as a rule, I don't think of 'narcissistic, psychopathic' people as typically making strenuous efforts to improve health care for the poor. Somehow that doesn't fit the profile.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Maybe it's just me, but as a rule, I don't think of 'narcissistic, psychopathic' people as typically making strenuous efforts to improve health care for the poor. Somehow that doesn't fit the profile.

Ah of course. So then in your view, no socially progressive politician can ever be a narcissist or have psychopathic tendencies. Good to know.

That Trump quote uses smart/smartest 10 times with nary a synonym.  For a man with all the best words, he sure could use a thesaurus.

Savvy, intelligent, knowledgeable, informed, bright.  Any of these will do.

Edit.... I meant as synonyms for "smart," not to necessarily describe his followers.

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Ah of course. So then in your view, no socially progressive politician can ever be a narcissist or have psychopathic tendencies. Good to know.

Other than that being totally not what they said, you're totally right. 

It is peculiar that once again the things that Trump very easily identifies as - narcissistic, psychopathic, selfish - are the things that his supporters label his opponents. 

7 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

That Trump quote uses smart/smartest 10 times with nary a synonym.  For a man with all the best words, he sure could use a thesaurus.

Savvy, intelligent, knowledgeable, informed, bright.  Any of these will do.

Edit.... I meant as synonyms for "smart," not to necessarily describe his followers.

Yeah, not to mention that Russian word that Putin used (which apparently translates to something like flashy or flamboyant) which Dondald seemed to think was such a great compliment to his awesome "smartfullness". 

58 minutes ago, Castel said:

And yet he was nominated.

There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame on...fool me can't get fooled again!

In his defense, that's a clumsy swerve from realizing he's about the make a "shame on me" soundbite and trying to avoid it, not him failing to remember the saying.  

29 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Do you know what "as a rule" generally means?  And the difference between generalizations and absolute statements?  

7 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I hate Trump as much as anyone, but this seems like a big fat meh.

It's not. I mean, firstly, it's a big violation of the law. No matter how dumb the law was.

And secondly of course, it's classic Trump behaviour since at that same time he was denouncing Castro and people who did business with him.

Mostly importantly to the present day though it could hurt him with conservatives, especially the Cuban ex-pat community in Florida.

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Other than that being totally not what they said, you're totally right. 

It is peculiar that once again the things that Trump very easily identifies as - narcissistic, psychopathic, selfish - are the things that his supporters label his opponents. 

Firstly, the fact that the Clintons are supporters of free Healthcare for the poor was used as a reason why they should not be labelled narcissists or psychopaths. A laughable position, I'm sure you'll agree. That's what I was responding to. But be that as it may.

Secondly, I'm pretty convinced that most Trump supporters know that Trump is a narcissist, a conman, a buffoon and a self serving liar. He is far from the ideal candidate. But he serves the purpose of championing the causes that these voters care about, so they would vote for Ronald Macdonald, as long as it got conservative judges elected to the Supreme Court next year, protected their 2nd amendment rights, and led to some attempt to curb illegal immigration.

No one is voting for Trump because they think he is the Pope or is a perosn of great character. They are voting for him because he comes closest to espousing the causes they believe in.

Now if Clinton supporters would just acknowledge the same, recognize that she is evil incarnate, but that they are voting for he anyway because she at least proclaims to serve the ideologies they care about, then maybe an honest conversation could be had.

6 minutes ago, Shryke said:

It's not. I mean, firstly, it's a big violation of the law. No matter how dumb the law was.

And secondly of course, it's classic Trump behaviour since at that same time he was denouncing Castro and people who did business with him.

Mostly importantly to the present day though it could hurt him with conservatives, especially the Cuban ex-pat community in Florida.

Eh, how dumb the law is matters. That's a law that every cigar aficionado in the States broke for 4 decades +. Granted, I suppose this was on a different scale, and I hope it does hurt him with Cuban ex-pats, but it is hardly a major scandal. 

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

I tend to agree but it was still illegal at the time he did it so worth reporting.

Idk. It will help feed the narrative that he's hiding things in his tax returns. And his campaign manager admitted it's true:

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-manager-conway-admits-illegal-cuba-spending-c53ab74ff200#.8cgkbivfa

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, how dumb the law is matters. That's a law that every cigar aficionado in the States broke for 4 decades +. Granted, I suppose this was on a different scale, and I hope it does hurt him with Cuban ex-pats, but it is hardly a major scandal. 

It's a pretty big deal. I mean, regardless of how you or I might feel about the embargo (cold war idiocy) it wasn't unpopular with alot of people.

Anyway, a quick example of Trump's typical behaviour:

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-pol-trump-women/

After the Trump National Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes opened for play in 2005, its world-famous owner didn’t stop by more than a few times a year to visit the course hugging the coast of the Pacific.

When Trump did visit, the club’s managers went on alert. They scheduled the young, thin, pretty women on staff to work the clubhouse restaurant  — because when Trump saw less-attractive women working at his club, according to court records, he wanted them fired.

"I had witnessed Donald Trump tell managers many times while he was visiting the club that restaurant hostesses were 'not pretty enough' and that they should be fired and replaced with more attractive women,” Hayley Strozier, who was director of catering at the club until 2008, said in a sworn declaration. 

The most respectful towards women, I tell ya.

But anyway, let's move on to the better stuff where we explore Trump's belief in eugenics!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-eugenics_us_57ec4cc2e4b024a52d2cc7f9

The Frontline documentary “The Choice,” which premiered this week on PBS, reveals that Trump agrees with the dangerous and abusive theory of eugenics.

Trump’s father instilled in him the idea that their family’s success was genetic, according to Trump biographer Michael D’Antonio.

“The family subscribes to a racehorse theory of human development,” D’Antonio says in the documentary. “They believe that there are superior people and that if you put together the genes of a superior woman and a superior man, you get a superior offspring.”

The Huffington Post dug back through the archives and found numerous examples of Trump suggesting that intellect and success are purely genetic qualities and that having “the right genes” gave him his “very good brain.”

Here's the quote you really gotta love though:

"My entire life, I've watched politicians bragging about how poor they are, how they came from nothing, how poor their parents and grandparents were. And I said to myself, if they can stay so poor for so many generations, maybe this isn't the kind of person we want to be electing to higher office. How smart can they be? They're morons."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a42946/donald-trump-poor-people-morons/

2 minutes ago, Shryke said:

It's a pretty big deal. I mean, regardless of how you or I might feel about the embargo (cold war idiocy) it wasn't unpopular with alot of people.

Think of the anti-Castro population in south Florida.  This news has to frustrate them.  They have been a reliable voting bloc for the GOP for a long time.  Would this news sway any of them who had been considering to vote for Trump to change their minds?

Archived