Stornoway travails

Fez

Sorry, this is just a venting thread for me.

So I've been on vacation in Scotland the past couple weeks with my mom, and we're in Stornoway, Scotland right now. Yesterday morning my mom badly broke her arm bicycling and she's in the local hospital until Tuesday or Wednesday it looks like. We were supposed to fly back to Inverness on tomorrow, take the train from there to London, and fly back to the U.S. on Saturday. Obviously none of that will happen as planned now.

There's just a huge amount of arrangements I need to deal with, beginning with trying to reschedule our travel plans. Plus of course all my concerns about her health, but that5s in the hospital's hands for now. least I've secured a room to stay in until she's released. So that's something, but I'm feeling enormous stress right now.

I know there's no magic answers, I just need to talk and write it out where I can. 

I hope she gets better as soon as possible. If she gets discharged tomorrow or on Saturday I would honestly recommend you leave, by ferry and coach if you have to. Being stuck on Lewis on a Sunday is about the worst place to be in the UK, unless you are really Protestant.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the hospital seems great; and this Isle definitely qualifies as remote. I'm definitely glad we're in a country with top flight health care, and that I was with her. She does a lot of traveling on her own, and this would be an absolute nightmare for her to try to take care of on her own in her current condition.

I think I've gotten most everything sorted out now that I can at this point, so that's helping with the stress I guess. Now I can just fully focus on worrying about her health.

Very sorry to hear about your mother.  Sounds like she is getting good care, however, so that is good.  I hope you were able to see some of Lewis before her accident.  There must be something about Lewis and mislaid travel plans, however.  I had the opposite problem when I was there I had to cut my vacation short and get back to the mainland early due to winds on the island shutting down most of the roads and grounding the ferry in order to not miss my flight home.  Really gorgeous landscape there, I was sad not being able to see everything I wanted.

If you are having to pass time hanging out in the hospital, find yourself a bookstore and get a copy of the first book in Peter May's fabulous Lewis trilogy - "The Black House".

Archived