ASOIAF - The main frame

Greywater-Watch

Hi, being new to the Forum, I hope not starting a thread already existing.

Waiting for WOW I try to understand, what we have learned until now from the book (I believe, the TV-Show has lost essential Connection to the true story).

What is "A Song of Ice and Fire" about? I think it is about the survival of mankind. It is probably the threat of a new "Long Night" as it happened long ago, at the Age of Heroes, when the First Men had made their pact with the Children of the Forest, and before the Rise of  Valyria. See therefore the "World of Ice and Fire". According to a Story from Yi Ti found in the Jade Compendium "...the sun hid ist face from the earth for a lifetime, ashamed at something none could discover, and that disaster was averted only by the deeds of a woman with a monkey's tail." Asshai legends claim the salvation of mankind to a hero named Azor Azhai - a story until now told by the priests of the god R'hllor.

All the world was concerned, Westeros as well as the far East (Asshai, Yi Ti). And it appears Logical that this threat of a new "Long Night" (i.e. Long Winter) would again be a threat to the whole known world - even if it seems to concern Westeros in the first place - with the "Others" being just behind their northern wall.

Now: Whom have we met in the first five books being aware that this global disaster for all mankind is the real issue and not just some local "Game of Thrones" happening in Westeros?

Here is my list - awaiting your comments and other proposals:

1. Jojen Reed

2. Bloodraven

3. Lady Melisandre (The red priest)

4. Archmaester Marwyn

5. Maester Aemon

6. Quaithe (Shadowbinder from Asshai whom Daenerys meets in Qarth)

7. Jon Snow

8. The Children of the Forest

Archived