Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That scene was terrible. Add to what you've listed the fact that after all that stuff about no killing, DD suddenly becomes incredibly blase about it, first being completely okay with Punisher shooting those guys (haven't rewatched but iirc at one point he's simply aware that Punisher is there and just lets him deal with the problem) and then chucking Nobu off the roof. This is made more jarring by the fact that he does this in full view of the police and cameras surrounding the building, yet apparently no-one cares.

Yeah, it's not really in full view but you're right that DD is by this time well aware of the Punisher being there and has no problem with Elektra killing ninjas left and right either. He's had that conversation with Frank about 'maybe this time, your way is OK' and Frank saying 'there is no this time, you cross that line once and you're over it for good', so maybe it's a thing they'll come back to. Still, at the very least DD is now clearly OK with his allies killing people.

Nobu literally gets up and walks away from DD chucking him off the roof, by the way, so there's that.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

A lot of the problem with the second half of the season (the first half of it was great, the best Marvel Netflix we've had so far) was simply that the levels of suspension-of-disbelief necessary were at very different levels for the two plotlines, and whenever they came anywhere near each other, it really jarred.

I think the series can cope with that. I don't agree that first half is as good as you think: it's much better than the second half, but even in the second half there are good ideas, good scenes, great moments, but a weird will-this-do? aspect to much of the plotting.

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointing that early reviews aren't great. Haven't read any, but just that the reviews are not as generally positive as the others might not bode well for the casual segment of the audience. I'll still give it at least 3 episodes before I make a decision.

4 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Just read some reviews on the first six episodes of Iron Fist and so far they are not good. 

I think I'd want to know who the reviewers were and how much they liked the other netflix shows. 6 episodes is a bit worrying - often a lot of negative reviews are due to the reviewer only getting the first 3 episodes. One reviewer who gave Sense8 a bad review later updated his review having watched the whole season. I'm glad they are giving preveiwers extra episodes now - although it's worrying for Iron Fist.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

To me it's the first Marvel Netflix series I am actually interested in.

It has the potential to be the most fun. I guess it has the added weight of trying to be distinct which the other 3 have been (even if i didn't like Luke Cage overall) but there's a danger of it maybe been similar to Daredevil.

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Yeah the one's I've read aren't great. Colleen Wing seems to be the silver lining so far.

I'll cling to hope that the series may end strong, but it's a thin hope.

Yeah I hope it has a great ending. And if it does get picked up for a second season than I hope the second season is better written(I have the same hope for Luke Cage although I really loved the series)Marvel could use some new talent  

Also I'm reading some biases because some wanted a Asian actor in the role. I read Finn Jones who plays Iron Fist had to leave twitter cause he was attacked because of the anger of him being cast. 

I wonder if the negative reaction might make Marvel reconsider doing Heroes for Hire instead of giving Luke Cage and Iron Fist second seasons. I still think that's the way to go. Plus it would free up a slot for Daughters of the Dragon or something else entirely. 

18 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

One one hand, it might have a strong ending that compensates for the flaws of the start.

On the other hand, it's the showrunner that gave us Dexter as a lumberjack.

That reminder is enough to have me thinking the reviews may be sound.

7 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Also I'm reading some biases because some wanted a Asian actor in the role. I read Finn Jones who plays Iron Fist had to leave twitter cause he was attacked because of the anger of him being cast. 

That's what I was wondering when I felt like I'd need to know who the reviewers were/who they were writing for. Although I'd suspect backlash from him not being asian would be something that would be more noticeable in fan reviews once the show is released - not from advance reviews. The verge review is one I'd take with a pinch of salt but the others seem to be judging the show without the casting in mind. But even reviews from people who sound like they are fans of the comic lament that it ignores all the fun aspects of the character eg Collider "Seriously … in the comics, the man gets his powers from punching a dragon in the heart, but that’s withheld from us? If I wanted to focus more on reality I wouldn’t spend so much time watching superhero TV.'

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wonder if the negative reaction might make Marvel reconsider doing Heroes for Hire instead of giving Luke Cage and Iron Fist second seasons. I still think that's the way to go. Plus it would free up a slot for Daughters of the Dragon or something else entirely. 

I think that could be a wise move. Misty and Colleen could be members as well and the buddy cop element of Luke and Iron Fist could be fun. I guess we'll know when Defenders comes out.

It's a bit worrying what they say about Finn Jones in terms of being crap at the action and less than compelling when not fighting. Thing is, I never felt like he was amazing as Loras but I put that down to the show's handling of the character. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a surprise if he wasn't great in the role.

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, doing Heroes for Hire is a good idea and I would love to see Daughters of the Dragon. I know there was rumors going around that Marvel was thinking of doing a White Tiger series and Jessica did name drop Angela's name. 

The reviews. Trebla linked to some on FB and I wanted to stay away, but six episodes as opposed to three or four... honestly not sure what to think now.

I was lukewarm to Finn's casting to begin with. Later, it took some doing but even the comic purist in me finally ended up being fine redressing the cultural appropriation with an Asian casting -and even later- musings about a gender-bender like say Kathryn Winnock as Danielle Rand (lady has like, two different black belts or somesuch?) but having an actor without any base fighting skills cast in this role, fucking IRON FIST... didn't give me much hope.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

The reviews. Trebla linked to some on FB and I wanted to stay away, but six episodes as opposed to three or four... honestly not sure what to think now.

I was lukewarm to Finn's casting to begin with. Later, it took some doing but even the comic purist in me finally ended up being fine redressing the cultural appropriation with an Asian casting -and even later- musings about a gender-bender like say Kathryn Winnock as Danielle Rand (lady has like, two different black belts or somesuch?) but having an actor without any base fighting skills cast in this role, fucking IRON FIST... didn't give me much hope.

How dare you! He's the best swordsman in all of Westeros! And wicked armpit shaver.

It seems to me like people are still complaining about the non Asian casting, because he's obviously given a weak performance, they're not complaining about his performance because he's not Asian. It does seem like a missed opportunity, and you'll have some morons taking it too far on social media, but I have a higher opinion of critics than to put the fairly consistent reviews down to their bias.

I'll reserve my judgement... what the reviewers are saying may to true, and this might be sub-par... but I've seen too many reviewers who trash things because they think they're too cool for the room

That said, I wasn't a huge fan of Finn Jones casting... but with Marvel,  I am usually wrong when I'm disappointed in that regard... The Dexter thing is what worries me though....lol

I think a lot of us are going to watch the whole thing no matter what, if only because of The Defenders. I'm just going to go in with low expectations and try to enjoy it for what it is. 

That said if Jones is really that bad I hope there's still time to kill off Dany Rand in the finale of The Defenders and just have someone else take up the mantle of Iron Fist. I doubt it though. 

Well at least Iron Fist isn't on 0% on Rotten Tomatoes anymore.

I'm not entirely sure I'll watch all of Iron Fist just because of Defenders. I think if I get half way through Iron Fist and it is doing nothing for me I will be satisfied that I've seen enough to be ready for The Defenders, even if that turns out to be incorrect, by the Time I start watching The Defenders and find out I have knowledge gaps I will probably just push on through and no go back to Iron Fist.

I said I'd give Iron Fist 3 episodes, but perhaps I need to give it 5 episodes before I decide to keep going or move on.

Why is race an issue here? Isn't Danny a white American in the comics? One might say that there is an opportunity for the TV show to unwhitewash the comic. But in the end the casting of Finn is racially consistent with the comic and so should not be a point of contention. Besides, casting an ethnically Chinese person to be Iron Fist does not in itself make a better TV series, all other things remaining the same.

51 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well at least Iron Fist isn't on 0% on Rotten Tomatoes anymore.

I'm not entirely sure I'll watch all of Iron Fist just because of Defenders. I think if I get half way through Iron Fist and it is doing nothing for me I will be satisfied that I've seen enough to be ready for The Defenders, even if that turns out to be incorrect, by the Time I start watching The Defenders and find out I have knowledge gaps I will probably just push on through and no go back to Iron Fist.

I said I'd give Iron Fist 3 episodes, but perhaps I need to give it 5 episodes before I decide to keep going or move on.

Why is race an issue here? Isn't Danny a white American in the comics? One might say that there is an opportunity for the TV show to unwhitewash the comic. But in the end the casting of Finn is racially consistent with the comic and so should not be a point of contention. Besides, casting an ethnically Chinese person to be Iron Fist does not in itself make a better TV series, all other things remaining the same.

I'm sure if you aren't enjoying it there will be fairly detailed synopsis of each episode by the time Defenders is out. I'm not prejudging it here or anything, just mentioning that in the event you do t like it. I'll give it a try, as I have really enjoyed the other Marvel Netflix so I have a lot of goodwill towards them right now. 

Archived