Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

I didn't think mich of Finn Jones from his smallish role on GoT, so getting the sense from reviews that he is not a good enough actor, or charismatic enough, to carry a show is hardly a surprise. I am however not sure how they screwed up the martial arts so badly that every review mentions it, you think that even if everything else sucked they would have memorable fight scenes. I believe the show runner was previously in charge of Dexter and the absolute shitpile that was the final 5 or so seasons of that show, IF may have been hobbled right out of the gate.

I really did not like the second half of Luke Cage either, I thought DD season 2 struggled when the focus shifted to the Hand, but that looks like a masterpiece compared to LC after Cottonmouth was killed. It took me weeks to get through the final 6 or 7 episodes after binging about 5 episodes the first day.

39 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I didn't think mich of Finn Jones from his smallish role on GoT, so getting the sense from reviews that he is not a good enough actor, or charismatic enough, to carry a show is hardly a surprise. I am however not sure how they screwed up the martial arts so badly that every review mentions it, you think that even if everything else sucked they would have memorable fight scenes. I believe the show runner was previously in charge of Dexter and the absolute shitpile that was the final 5 or so seasons of that show, IF may have been hobbled right out of the gate.

I really did not like the second half of Luke Cage either, I thought DD season 2 struggled when the focus shifted to the Hand, but that looks like a masterpiece compared to LC after Cottonmouth was killed. It took me weeks to get through the final 6 or 7 episodes after binging about 5 episodes the first day.

It wasn't like Dexter was ever noted for its fight choregraphy either. You'd hope they'd hire someone for it or simply use whoever handles the fight choreography in DD to come on board.

I hit the LC wall in the same place as you and it's weird how I wound up watching a binge release show at a slower pace than a weekly one in the end. I think this is a pacing issue that creators new to the format sometimes have an issue with. It affected season 2 of DD as well.

30 minutes ago, red snow said:

I hit the LC wall in the same place as you and it's weird how I wound up watching a binge release show at a slower pace than a weekly one in the end. I think this is a pacing issue that creators new to the format sometimes have an issue with. It affected season 2 of DD as well.

Its funny how many people seemed to view LC in the same way, racing through the first few episodes then really struggling to get through the next set. I still haven't finished it. 

13 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its funny how many people seemed to view LC in the same way, racing through the first few episodes then really struggling to get through the next set. I still haven't finished it. 

Personally I thought the pacing greatly improved in the last 4-5 episode. The middle was where it was slow, same thing for DD season 2, but then it picks up again.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Personally I thought the pacing greatly improved in the last 4-5 episode. The middle was where it was slow, same thing for DD season 2, but then it picks up again.

I might try and finish it if thats true. DD's pace picked up at the end but the story declined in quality massively. I preferred the slower section in the middle.

I didn't have any problems with LC's pacing either time I watched it, to be honest. But that might be due to the fact that episode 9 focuses heavily on Misty Knight. I loved that episode, but I suppose it was a digression if you weren't interested in her character. And the last episode is paced a bit oddly, since basically the series climax is right at the opening of that episode so it's mostly a coda.

I think Misty's parts were usually some of the strongest. My problem was more with the ridiculous and slightly repetitive Diamond Back and Shades. Shades was weird, it felt like they were setting him up to be the real mastermind but it never really came off for me.

I actually quite liked the way Shades was trying to be manipulative, but wasn't necessarily all that good at it.

The final fight was weird, they were focusing on that power pack so much I thought it was obvious he was meant punch it, like a boss fight weak spot, but in the end he just let himself get wailed on 'till DB ran out of energy.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

It wasn't like Dexter was ever noted for its fight choregraphy either. You'd hope they'd hire someone for it or simply use whoever handles the fight choreography in DD to come on board.

The choreography and the Dexter connection were separate issues, I should have mentioned the producer first. I was just saying that given his track record, you wouldn't expect much from him in the overall quality. The decision making for late period Dexter was the worst  i've seen since post season 1 Heroes

Wasn't Iron Fist the show where at one stage people wondered whether it was even happening there had been so little mentioned about it in comparison to the other shows? Maybe this could be part of the potential problems that no-one particularly wanted to make the show or had as good an idea of how to make it work? All the other shows even with occasional issues have a clear idea about the type of show they want to be?

Maybe they should have gone crazy and let Rza do the whole show as some batshit crazy modern homage to old kung fu films could have had a niche appeal. But I guess "Into the Badlands" has that covered, Which reminds me - need to watch that show when it comes back in a couple of months

On 11/03/2017 at 0:23 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

As for IF's white washing, well I don't know anything about the property, it all seems a little silly to me. But so far most of the reviews I've read have focused on the white washing first and the story second. I'm hoping this reaction is clouding their judgement but I'm not overly optimistic.

Can it be called white washing? Is NOT replacing a white character in the source material with a minority white washing, or is it merely a lost opportunity at broadening minority representation? It's kinda different to casting Scarlet Johanssen as Motoko Kusanagi.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

all this negative reviewing has put a right damper on my plans for Friday, i have a 12+ hour flight and was going to binge the shit out of it. 

Still watch it, it might get better after the sixth episode. 

I personally liked Luke Cage and Jessica Jones even though lots of people had negative views on both. I'll definitely try Iron Fist and you should form your own opinions about it. 

Yeah, I've been excited about it all year, so I'm not going to let some reviewers ruin it. I'm hoping they are wrong or that the best stuff is in the eps they haven't seen. It might just be that they took too much set up time. It would be unusual for a Marvel Netflix show if that was the case though. They are more likely to lose steam at the end. 

On 14/03/2017 at 4:28 PM, mormont said:

'Into the Badlands' comes back on the 21st, I thought. (In the UK. In the US it's earlier.)

good times :)

13 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, I've been excited about it all year, so I'm not going to let some reviewers ruin it. I'm hoping they are wrong or that the best stuff is in the eps they haven't seen. It might just be that they took too much set up time. It would be unusual for a Marvel Netflix show if that was the case though. They are more likely to lose steam at the end. 

Finn Jones keeps adding fuel to the fire by alienating Trump supporters who I'm lazily generalising as not being bothered about "whitewashing" by suggesting Trump has made it hard for critics to like white Billionaires as heroes

So I guess they may as well cancel the next Batman film, anything starring Tony Stark and watch viewing figures for "arrow" plummet.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Finn Jones keeps adding fuel to the fire by alienating Trump supporters...

In that case, my opinion of him just increased a little.

I'll watch. And I'm hopeful I'll enjoy it well enough. I figure, at worst it will be some fun, mindless comic book entertainment. And as long as it's not outright bad or boring, I'm ok with that.

it's not available yet, which means I'll be reliant on the patchy airport wifi to download. Balls. I think going in expecting it to be shit is the best way to watch anything, I'm sure I didn't hate batman v superman for this very reason.

Archived