Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

At the end I think they showed Diamondback in the custody of the Doctor who gave Luke his powers. (Leavy the defense lawyer from The Wire) Suggesting that he'll eventually return as a real threat. 

48 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Oh that's right. Ugh.. just.. why? he was such a cartoon villain. 

A pity they killed Cottonmouth and left Diamondback alive. Should have been the other way around. But Mahershala Ali is hot property now, so he's a bit too pricey for a Netflix show. Lucky they got him when his biggest role at the time was as Remi Danton. Best thing about Ali winning an Oscar is I now know how to say his first name properly.

I am looking forward to Defenders, but for the purposes of the physical confrontations I hope it isn't all hordes of relaively mundane Ninjas. For a big team up show, they need a challenge other than large numbers. They need someone / thing that will knock them on their heels a bit mid-season. And even this B-list Avengers is a formidable group without something super-powered on team V.

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I forget who said it but I'm pretty sure it was on this forum that someone pointed out that Bullseye is a fundamentally flawed villain. Basically his whole thing is that he never misses, but the plot requires him to continually not just shoot Daredevil in the face. 

As for future foes I think we can predict a lot of them. I'd say Daredevil getting round two with Fisk is a lock. though they will probably throw in at least one other villain. Jessica Jones has Nuke and the evil corporation responsible for her powers. Luke has Diamondback 2.0 and Iron Fist has the reviews of season one. 

I always thought the deal with Bullseye and Daredevil was that Daredevil's sense meant Bullseye missed? And that's part of the reason Bullseye hates him because DD is the only thing he ever misses? If that isn't established, it needs to be because otherwise it is really dumb. Then again, Deadshot gets by and his antagonists don't even have super senses (but they are Batman)

LOL at the Iron Fist villain. I guess Steel Serpet or anything not involving Rand board meetings would be an improvement. Although I have to hold my hands up and say I was disappointed in both Luke Cage and Iron Fist to the same level but in completely different ways. I think Luke Cage had stronger individual episodes and its own identity while Iron Fist's eventually transformation into diet Daredevil at the end entertained me more than the back half of LC. 

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Oh that's right. Ugh.. just.. why? he was such a cartoon villain. 

I thought he was awful as well. Made worse by the fact that Cottonmouth and his sister were far more interesting antagonists.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I am looking forward to Defenders, but for the purposes of the physical confrontations I hope it isn't all hordes of relaively mundane Ninjas. For a big team up show, they need a challenge other than large numbers. They need someone / thing that will knock them on their heels a bit mid-season. And even this B-list Avengers is a formidable group without something super-powered on team V.

Fortunately not even netflix can afford horders of soul-less CGI monsters so they have to make do with a dozen ninja extras on repeat instead. It's the Marvel formula because even when they create a big threat eg Ultron, Loki, Elf dude or whatever the heroes still spend 90% of their time killing their CGI minions. Fortunately they seem to be turning that around with Civil War (they fight each other), Dr Strange (genuinely fights the big bad) and GOTG vol2 (unless you count drone ships but even then the focus and interaction is with the big bad).

I also wouldn't rule out at least one of the team being brainwashed even if they did that in JJ so we can see them fight amongst themselves.

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

I always thought the deal with Bullseye and Daredevil was that Daredevil's sense meant Bullseye missed? And that's part of the reason Bullseye hates him because DD is the only thing he ever misses? If that isn't established, it needs to be because otherwise it is really dumb. Then again, Deadshot gets by and his antagonists don't even have super senses (but they are Batman)

The deal with Deadshot for a while was that he subconsciously held back against Batman for psychological reasons. Which made some sense. Deadshot's head is a mess, after all.

35 minutes ago, mormont said:

The deal with Deadshot for a while was that he subconsciously held back against Batman for psychological reasons. Which made some sense. Deadshot's head is a mess, after all.

It makes sense that writers over the years have come up with reasons why such villains are rendered pointless. I think Deathstroke just likes messing with the Titan's heads rather than suddenly become the ultimate assassin who can't kill a group of teens.

When these characters are introduced on screen it's probably a good idea to establish these reasons to avoid the understandable question of why they appear silly.

41 minutes ago, The King in Black said:

We all agree here that Davos was the only light in the darkness that was Iron Fist right ?  

Colleen was good too. The odd thing with Davos is that he seemed so much more suitable for the title of Iron Fist that I took his side and thought "that guy not only deserves to be Iron Fist, he'd be better at it than Danny Rand". If he was an antagonist they'd have to have him doing some bad things for me not to think Danny should just hand it over and set up some positive trust funds and help the world with his multi billion dollar company.

Colleen was great until the writers completely screwed over her story by writing a 'clever' twist that made no sense logically or in character terms. I mean, Jessica Henwick was still great after that, but she was working with bad material.

I liked some of the rest of the cast too: Jessica Stroup, Tom Pelphrey, even David Wenham, who did the only thing possible with that part and just chewed scenery. Rosario Dawson, Carrie-Ann Moss and Wai Ching Ho we already knew were great. And yeah, Sacha Dawan had his moments.

Performances aside, there were a couple of good fights and some fun moments. It wasn't awful. It was just not good.

12 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Haha.. very good. Who is Diamondback 2.0? Shades? I barely remember much of how the season ended other than Luke going to jail.

They also have Shades and Mariah. I'm far more interested in those two than Diamondback. I thought Mariah in particular was a great character

8 hours ago, red snow said:

It's definitely been the case at least some of the time that he hates Daredevil because he missed.

In any case Bullseye isn't actually meant to be superhuman or anything. Him missing is and should be rare but not exactly a failure of concept.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I love it. Really excited for this :) 

Finn Jones/Iron Fist still isn't working for me in this though

I'm much less excited for it than I was before Iron Fist... but still excited.  Iron Fist was just so awful, and after a terrible second half of Luke Cage, I'm starting to lose confidence.

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I love it. Really excited for this :) 

Finn Jones/Iron Fist still isn't working for me in this though

Me too, but I think the ensemble cast will lessen FJ's weak link.... and I'm hoping that the Defenders will correct the recent Marvel/Netflix course, too... from Cottonmouths death, its been on a down slide... but nothing so bad that it can't be set straight

Great news Scott Buck on Iron Fist, no more! Unless the new showrunner is worse this can only be a good thing for Iron Fist. I've no idea as I never watched Sleepy Hollow.

Clearly some PR salvaging of the fact by saying it's simply because Buck is busy on Inhumans which is true but I guess saying "this way he'll only be screwing up one show" isn't a great ad for the about to be released Inhumans.

I'm hoping they've seen Finn Jones/Iron Fist actually works within Defenders and that along with the negative criticism about how Buck was cheap on fight production, etc they decided to change things up.

Archived