Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

The reviews for the first four episodes of Defenders are pretty disappointing so far...

But I think the reviewers who've reviewed the whole thing say the second half is much better. It doesn't excuse the slow start though - especially when less episodes had people thinking it would get straight into it. Clearly they are stuck in a structural rut.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

New Trailer for The Defenders. Probably also the final trailer.

I'm reassured that Iron Fist seems a lot more likeable in these trailers. He seems to be fitting into the almost Spidey role of being the only character geeky enough to admit it's pretty cool hanging out with other superheroes.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Minor Jessica Jones season two spoilers:

Hide contents

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/14/jessica-jones-david-tennant-season-2/

Makes sense that she wouldn't be totally over her ordeal and would have a flashback or two. 

Spoiler

He either had a 2 season deal, or the producers realised he was too popular a villain in the show for death to be a barrier for him to return for season 2 in some way shape or form. 

Finished Defenders all in a row.

Spoiler

Liked it all. Except for the very end. I could see the 'reveal' coming from as soon as the building collapsed, but I was hoping they'd stick with it.

5 minutes ago, akh said:

Finished Defenders all in a row.

Hide contents

Liked it all. Except for the very end. I could see the 'reveal' coming from as soon as the building collapsed, but I was hoping they'd stick with it.

Blimey that was quick.

I watched the first episode. It seemed.. fine I guess. Its interesting that each individual character brought along the qualities of the series they appeared in. I liked the DD segments, was fine with the JJ bits, LC was quite dull and IF was crappy and boring. The most interesting parts so far were Sig Weaver and the Hand. I'll carry on though I suspect it might be good actually finish Luke Cage and Iron Fist before I do. Might be a struggle.

Welp, just finished episode 6

Spoiler

Sigourney Weaver as Alexandria...was fucking pathetic. She accomplished nothing other than reviving Elektra. All that build up, all that boasting, all that hype about what she's capable of and zilch.

It's 8 episodes and im gonna see it through till the end, but it's not doing much for me.

Just started episode 1.  Netflix's predictive rating gives nearly every Netflix show an almost five star rating... this one had just under three stars :stunned:  Either the early raters are hating it or it's because I rated Luke Cage and Iron Fist so low (likely some combination of that), but it was definitely startling. 

I finished it. Overall I liked it. The lower number of episodes feels like a good choice and something that they should keep for the upcoming shows, 13 episodes are just too much. I also think Iron Fist worked a lot better here than he did in his own show. The Hand does end up feeling pretty tired and played out as the antagonist though.

15 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I finished it. Overall I liked it. The lower number of episodes feels like a good choice and something that they should keep for the upcoming shows, 13 episodes are just too much. I also think Iron Fist worked a lot better here than he did in his own show. The Hand does end up feeling pretty tired and played out as the antagonist though.

Having watched the first 4 episodes, as well as the rest of the Marvel Netflix stuff, I think that part of the problem is that it feels like 9% of what the Hand does is just throwing mooks at them. Nobu in Daredevil was the last time I felt that someone in the Hand was a real threat to one of the heroes. If you had some more actual threats, it would be great but for the most part, the leaders of the Hand are being played by older people who can't really be threatening in the way they need to be. Having a big ass motherfucker who comes in and puts the boots to Luke Cage and leaves the heroes running scared. I get they're a shadowy organization and all, but they need to be actually dangerous.

I'm actually really enjoying what I've seen so far, I think that it took exactly long enough for the team to come together, because if they all got thrown together quickly it would feel silly that they are working together, and if it took any longer, it would feel like they were a bunch of thick-os who couldn't figure out what was going on.

2 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Folks who've seen it. How much do I need to finish Luke Cage and watch Iron Fist before starting The Defenders?

If I have to struggle through the debacle that is iron fist then I don't see why anyone else gets off. 

3 episodes in. I'd say this is a must watch if you at all like Marvel Netflix. If you've seen Daredevil you can probably mostly follow this. This is almost like a season of Daredevil. It shares a lot of characteristics.

The first two eps are a bit light on action, but still great. It's very much like the writers of Daredevil took part in this. I really enjoy the focus on corruption in American society, as it makes this whole thing ring true with real life in America at our current moment.

There is an  amazing moment in episode 3. I don't know where this is all going, but I'm hooked. 

I didn't fall in love with the new villain right away like I did with the Kingpin and Kilgrave, but that part is mostly working as well. The more I see of her the more I like. They are so far kind of limiting our time with her.

Also, Daredevil and Jessica Jones are at the top of their game.

There really were great parts of series.  The episode where they all stumbled into the Chinese restaurant was pitch perfect what has the potential to derail Netflix and its Marvel Series is really very simple for me does every single show have to revolve around The Hand, Black Sky and mystical junk?  Its not that it isn’t good for what it is but it does get old after awhile.     

Just finished. I'll undoubtedly have more detailed things to say after digesting, but for now I want to note that Mike Colter is by far the best thing Marvel Netflix have going for them. Krysten Ritter is also awesome and Charlie Cox is probably a better actor, but Colter's Luke Cage has most of the best moments in The Defenders and is tremendous throughout.

On the flip side, Finn Jones continues to struggle. It's not his fault entirely: the series sticks with the angry, angsty Avatar of Man-Pain thing for his character which is not a good fit with the comics Iron Fist and definitely isn't playing to Jones' strengths. When you ask him to share a screen with Daredevil (a similar character without either problem) it's never going to end well.

Lots of good stuff for the secondary characters: Jessica Henwick, Eldon Henson and Simone Missick are all terrific in this but Elodie Yung, wow, she's good.

Archived