Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

Interesting news about the Marvel/Netflix divorce. The full details are being worked through but it sounds like the already-commissioned shows - Punisher 1, Jessica Jones 2, Daredevil 3, Luke Cage 2 and Iron Fist 2 - are all going to happen anyway (Punisher and JJ have finished shooting and DD has just started, so they're locked in any case). It also sounds like the extant shows can also all be renewed indefinitely under the terms of the deal, so we'll likely see a Season 2 of Defenders at some point and potential further seasons of the main shows. However, new shows can't be added, so Colleen Wing/Misty Knight spin-offs or Heroes for Hire etc will have to happen under the aegis of the existing shows.

This is certainly the final nail in the coffin of there being any kind of tie-in between the Netflix shows and the wider MCU, not that this was likely to happen anyway. But the Netflix shows going forwards will definitely be in their own kind of bubble separate from anything else.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Interesting news about the Marvel/Netflix divorce. The full details are being worked through but it sounds like the already-commissioned shows - Punisher 1, Jessica Jones 2, Daredevil 3, Luke Cage 2 and Iron Fist 2 - are all going to happen anyway (Punisher and JJ have finished shooting and DD has just started, so they're locked in any case). It also sounds like the extant shows can also all be renewed indefinitely under the terms of the deal, so we'll likely see a Season 2 of Defenders at some point and potential further seasons of the main shows. However, new shows can't be added, so Colleen Wing/Misty Knight spin-offs or Heroes for Hire etc will have to happen under the aegis of the existing shows.

This is certainly the final nail in the coffin of there being any kind of tie-in between the Netflix shows and the wider MCU, not that this was likely to happen anyway. But the Netflix shows going forwards will definitely be in their own kind of bubble separate from anything else.

Damn, and I was hoping Spider-man was going to show up in this. After all, all of this is happening in NY, and considering the plot, it's pretty big, so one would think the friendly neighborhood superhero would show up. 

On the Heroes for Hire subject, it might not happen, but at episode 6 so far in the Defenders, I would say they're doing a nice job developing a relationship between Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Damn, and I was hoping Spider-man was going to show up in this. After all, all of this is happening in NY, and considering the plot, it's pretty big, so one would think the friendly neighborhood superhero would show up.

That was never really an option, the deal with Sony is very specific and does not allow him to appear on TV shows. 

Well, that was thoroughly enjoyable. I also really liked the way they developed relationships that exist in the comics, without the dialogue seeming contrived... everyone got their moments to shine... and as I had hoped, Finn Jones/ironfist worked much better in an ensemble...  

I'm halfway through episode 5.  While I thought episode 1 was really weak in terms of writing and really everything, by episode 3 things were getting moving.  It is enjoyable watching the characters play off each other.  Not surprising that Iron Fist is the weak link, but at least the show makes fun of him a lot. 

I agree that The Hand are not terribly compelling or threatening villains.  The Black Sky is really overhyped, but it seems like she's just a very skilled ninja, which is a little overmatched by someone like Luke Cage.  In fact, I feel like Luke Cage alone could take on virtually everything the Hand has, or at least from what I've seen in the first 4.5 episodes. 

So uh. Was "Murakami" a comic book name to the villain?

Because it reminded me of the writer so much it was a bit annoying. While they don't look  similar, after seeing the name, it was all I could think of.

On 20/08/2017 at 3:38 AM, Werthead said:

I guess, with multiverse theories and all that at play, one could say that the Avengers "incident" was a multiversal splitting point. The Netflix verse became a separate continuity to the main MCU at that point.

I wonder if Marvel/Disney has plans for some of the defenders characters, but they don't want to borrow from the Netflix roster.

I wonder if they want to bring Jessica Jones into Captain Marvel, since they are friends. But setting Captain Marvel in the 1990s would be problematic if Netflix was still ostensibly part of the MCU. They could bring Jessica in while Carol Danvers is still earthbound, and whatever conflict happens to take Carol into the galaxy could also kill JJ. It means they have a super-powered female through pretty much all of the movies, but they don't need to carry Jessica forward past Captain Marvel 1. Or JJ gets taken by Killgrave, and Captain Marvel 2 can include Carol tracking down JJ.

I don't see any reason to formally divorce Netflix and the MCu unless marvel has plans.

The other thing is with the Dr Strange line of things they may want to use Kun Lun.

Or maybe Netflix wanted the divorce.

On 20/08/2017 at 3:43 AM, Corvinus said:

On the Heroes for Hire subject, it might not happen, but at episode 6 so far in the Defenders, I would say they're doing a nice job developing a relationship between Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

Well, I still hope things work out as they do in the comics. JJ and Luke end up together, they have a kid and Luke and Danny become BFFs and the kid is named after Danny.

I think the break between Luke and Night Nurse could be where Night Nurse decides to become Switzerland and fix up whoever needs fixing up. Luke gets mad that she's helping the baddies, they can't be together any more. But for her it's as much self preservation (she's always in danger if she's only patching up one side) as it is about giving medical treatment without bias, and it keeps the medical centres safe because the villains know that they will get treatment when needed.

I can see Knightwing (ooooh trolling DC!) becoming a major recurring element of Iron Fist, which keeps things interesting in that series. And Heroes for Hire can become a recurring theme in Luke Cage.

4 hours ago, Leap said:

While I can definitely see Claire becoming ''Switzerland'' in that she's compassionate towards everyone, I don't think it would be due to self-preservation. From what we've seen she doesn't really worry about that too much. However, I do think it may be Luke's influence on her that may cause that change - one of Luke's defining traits is his willingness to stand up for people who consistently make bad choices, it's seen in both LC and Defenders (remember how he meets Danny?). 

Also, have to agree that Defenders made a good start on Luke and Danny's friendship. I think they could probably have done more if anything, though I would rather they erred on the side of caution than suddenly made them best bros with no explanation.

Perhaps not so much self preservation, but she would be motivated to not bring the fisticuffs into medical centres.

Nothing brings out a bromance like mutually punching each other out and realising you're both badasses.

Bad ass! Given she's got a gun in it, it seems this is a little more high tech than your standard prosthesis. If they're sort of seperating from the films who'll have made it for her? Stark would be out if they want to sever ties. It seems too high tech for Melvin Potter, who is pretty much the only suit maker in the Netflix MCU.

I'm turning into my dad though because I was also just thinking about how bad Luke's posture is. Pull those shoulders back!

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 7:30 PM, RumHam said:

I'm sure it'll turn out that Rand's company has a robot arm division. 

Probably.  Or they could just say that Stark's company gave it to her without having Tony Stark appear himself.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Probably.  Or they could just say that Stark's company gave it to her without having Tony Stark appear himself.

I think the non-ABC Marvel shows are deliberately leaning away from the movie universe. Either because they're waiting for some Infinity Stones / Fox deal shuffle or just out of spite between Pearmutter and Fiege. But it's been a while since any show has acknowledged the events of the movies. 

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think the non-ABC Marvel shows are deliberately leaning away from the movie universe. Either because they're waiting for some Infinity Stones / Fox deal shuffle or just out of spite between Pearmutter and Fiege. But it's been a while since any show has acknowledged the events of the movies. 

Honestly, I don't really even mind that, especially considering the Netflix shows have an entirely different visual style and tone.  Might as well keep them in their own universe.  It's just a shame that the relationship between Marvel and Netflix soured, meaning we won't get any new heroes with shows of their own now.

That said, if Netflix were smart, they could just do little stories within each season featuring side characters.  It would be a nice way to break up an otherwise long thirteen episodes for some of these shows that tend to feel their length. 

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sweet. Though it looks a bit more actiony than the last one, hope they have a handle on that. Still no idea who the villain is or anything.

I worry that Netflix is going to ruin things by having Jessica and Luke Cage not end up together.

Archived