Marvel Netflix - Sweet Christmas!

Martell Spy

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I worry that Netflix is going to ruin things by having Jessica and Luke Cage not end up together.

I've a feeling Disney's online channel will ruin things between Jessica and Luke before the netflix shows do. Unless Netflix has a deal where they can keep making the shows until they stop making them (which I doubt Disney would have done after the whole X-men issue) then I suspect we only have a couple of years of Marvel Netflix left. This might explain why we are getting 3-4 shows next year - make the most of the license while they can.

Best case scenario is that Disney simply moves the shows over to their channel but I fear it's more likely they'd be rebooted

5 hours ago, red snow said:

I've a feeling Disney's online channel will ruin things between Jessica and Luke before the netflix shows do. Unless Netflix has a deal where they can keep making the shows until they stop making them (which I doubt Disney would have done after the whole X-men issue) then I suspect we only have a couple of years of Marvel Netflix left. This might explain why we are getting 3-4 shows next year - make the most of the license while they can.

Best case scenario is that Disney simply moves the shows over to their channel but I fear it's more likely they'd be rebooted

They could probably do with rebooting Iron Fist. I like Finn Jones, but I just don;t think he was a good fit for the role. Other than that, it would be a real shame to lose any of the other actors for the main roles. They did such a great job with all of the other castings, that I can forgive them one casting mis-step, so I would be totally fine with keeping Finn if it guaranteed retaining all the other actors.

I would think Netflix would have wanted to sign a deal that allowed them to keep those characters until they cancel those series. But I would think Disney would have a "no reboots" clause. So Netflix will not be able to cancel any of the shows and start from scratch again, or make animated series instead of live action.

Are we possibly looking at Disney wanting to PG-ise every aspect of the MC/TVU? It's unlikely I will have the access or desire to re-hash any of those characters in any new TV series.

There is always the possibility that Disney may want to bring some of those characters into the MCU. 

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm pretty sure the Netflix deals allow them to renew the series that they have indefinitely, but they can't make any new ones even featuring side characters.  Someone outlined that earlier this thread I believe.

If the shows are doing well I guess there's always the possibility that Disney outright buys them off netflix. While Netflix would probably want a high price I'm sure there's a number they'd be willing to release them for. It's not like they are lacking in other content that they own.

I just don't see much of a rosy future between the two companies when Disney is clearly wanting to becone Netflix.

My excitement for the Netflix Marvel shows has completely fallen off a cliff. After season 1 of DD I felt like these shows could be the greatest thing to have happened to tv since it went colour! I was so hyped for all the shows that were upcoming. But almost every single one of them have proven to be a bit of a disappointment on some level. 

Maybe its the Netflix format, or the way they write these shows, or their relationship with DIsney but I am losing interest rapidly. I just saw the new Jessica Jones trailer and I felt nothing. I have as much interest in watching it as I have in watching any of the other 3 million superhero shows out there right now. 

Maybe Disney taking it all back in house wouldn't be such a bad thing. 

That is a surprising list. Not because it lacks Marvel stuff but I just personally don’t see a lot of those shows as “bingeworthy.” 2/10 on there I binged, 2 I started watching and couldn’t finish.

i am surprised not to see Stranger things though, and also surprised that some of those shows were actually released 2016 (the two I binged were actually)

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Netflix released their list of most binged shows this year.  One I've never heard of is #6 - "Ingobernable" and not a single Marvel show on the list.

Hmm, I've only binged  one of those shows, 13 reasons why, and it wasn't even very good! 

I guess I tried the OA and Travellers, but they barely hooked me. 

Yes the Marvel shows don't tend to have enough of a hook to make me want to binge them, I actually feel obliged to watch them rather than wanting to do so. That kind of sums them up really, that I will attempt to watch them due to them being Marvel and me loving the idea of them, but the reality is that often they are quite tedious and not very gripping.

It depends what the criteria for binging is. Is it within 48 hours or a week?

The way the marvel shows are paced doesn't encourage bingeing as they rarely have a mystery element or cliffhangers that make you want to watch the next episode.

I'm currently enjoying punisher but the pacing is such that the next episode is take it or leave it in terms of immediately watching. Which I see as a good thing in that the show is managing to give me an episodic nature on average eg punisher has a task at start of episode and completes it within the episode. Something that has been lacking in previous shows.

Dark is the only show I've truly binged on Netflix this year. Discovery is the only one where I've watched every episode in the day if release.

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Netflix released their list of most binged shows this year.  One I've never heard of is #6 - "Ingobernable" and not a single Marvel show on the list.

I haven't watched the entirety of any of those shows. And I don't think I truly binged any of the Marvel shows. I definitely got through all of them within a week, though maybe Luke Cage was more like 10 days. 

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Isn't the lead actress from Ingobernable the one who met with El Chapo and Sean Penn?

That list is a surprise to me, but I never truly binge a series. Maybe an episode or two per evening for a series that really grips me. American Vandal was also the only series in that list I watched. Really enjoyed it though. Godless, Dark and Stranger Things(s1 & 2) were the only series I would consider binge watches for myself.

• 1 month later...

Jessica Jones probably remains my favourite of the Marvel Netflix (top spot is close between that and DD). Very happy with the trailer,bi have high hopes for this!

is this the series with an all female writers room or something along those lines?

50 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

We know already that Tennant has filmed for season 2, the assumption is that it’s either flashbacks or hallucinations 

Hallucinations worked pretty well in Altered Carbon, and they've been used to good effect in other shows. So it should work here pretty well too.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:00 PM, RumHam said:

I think the non-ABC Marvel shows are deliberately leaning away from the movie universe. Either because they're waiting for some Infinity Stones / Fox deal shuffle or just out of spite between Pearmutter and Fiege. But it's been a while since any show has acknowledged the events of the movies. 

The latest JJ trailer has a kid asking JJ if she knows Captain America, and JJ looking pretty annoyed by the question. So there's that. It's not a reference to the events of the movies, but it is a nod (or a jab) at them.

Archived