Stannis Baratheon General

coolsaladgirl93

/sbg/

Post your favorite Stannis quotes moments and theories

Stannis: "I thought the wet nurse was this man Craster's daughter?"

Melisandre: "Wife and daughter both, Your Grace. Craster married all his daughters. Gilly's boy was the fruit of their union"
Stannis: "Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing"

" Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies "

Stannis is my favorite character by far, his motivations are understandable and his internal conflict is one of my favorites to read about in the series. Every time I read the Proudwing story in ACoK I always get a little choked up. I feel bad for him growing up in his older brothers shadow hated by almost everyone around him. His genius as a tactician, his helping of the Night's Watch, his dry wit, all of these things contribute to one of the most well realized characters in the series. Any chapter with him is a delight to read.

Anyone have thoughts on Cantuse's mannifesto? I thought it was pretty agreeable, well evidenced and didn't require any mental gymnastics?

Anyway, general thoughts on the Mannis? 

Easily one of the best characters in the series. He's complex, he's fascinating to read about, and despite his flaws, he really would make a great king for Westeros. He'd be the man who wouldn't play the destructive and manipulative game, he would end it and punish those who play it. He's learned a lot about ruling and what it means to rule, so I hope he either wins or at least gets a hero's death.

I like Stannis but I don't get the hype. I especially like his interaction with Davos. It’s harder to understand what he’s doing after Davos leaves and we only get Jon’s and Asha's opinion on him.

I don’t get why people love him so much for insisting on his rights. If he was really fighting for the realm he should have swallowed his pride and supported Renly. Don’t get me wrong, Renly was unbearable and also completely wrong. But their little feud didn’t do the realm any good. Stannis definition of honor and duty is too literal and rigid for my liking. But that makes him a very realistic and tragic character.

Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends.

Also, I never really understood why this sober, rational man lets some fire priestess call him the Chosen One.

This was pointed out to me by another poster in some thread. It’s in the Kings Prize

"A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire," Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, "The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R'hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever."

"Half my army is made up of unbelievers," Stannis had replied. "I will have no burnings. Pray harder."

A man of few words. Har! If anyone should be King of Westeros’ seven kingdoms it should be he. Concise, direct and to the point. No shilly shallying.  A conversation between Stannis & Cersei would be priceless.

Such a great creation, it's mighty sad that we all know his fate is bitter and tragic no matter what badass deeds he does... Davos will give us a great eulogy

Wise words were said by wise men: 

"This is Stannis Baratheon, the man will fight to the bitter end, and then some..."

11 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Such a great creation, it's mighty sad that we all know his fate is bitter and tragic no matter what badass deeds he does... Davos will give us a great eulogy

Wise words were said by wise men: 

"This is Stannis Baratheon, the man will fight to the bitter end, and then some..."

I agree. He's one of the most unique characters in the books, IMO. A very fascinating arc. 

I'd actually say, much like Tyrion, Stannis definitely falls under the category of "The greyest of the grey". He literally has the Devil (Melisandre) and Angel (Davos) both sitting on his shoulders.

Oh and I have to add, the man embodies the house Baratheon. His is the fury indeed - much like Durran Godsgrief, this man never gives up.

11 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I agree. He's one of the most unique characters in the books, IMO. A very fascinating arc. 

I'd actually say, much like Tyrion, Stannis definitely falls under the category of "The greyest of the grey". He literally has the Devil (Melisandre) and Angel (Davos) both sitting on his shoulders.

Oh and I have to add, the man embodies the house Baratheon. His is the fury indeed - much like Durran Godsgrief, this man never gives up.

the way he managed his people's morale and lives in the siege of strom's end is something not even a gigantic number of moral good lords would do in this story...

a portion, no larger than any other... and the guy was the last to eat... and only Davos stresses those kinds of moments

it's preety clear the reader, davos and jon will be the only ones to apreciate stannis's good qualities (he's not perfect) after his inevitable final sacrifice

1 hour ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

the way he managed his people's morale and lives in the siege of strom's end is something not even a gigantic number of moral good lords would do in this story...

a portion, no larger than any other... and the guy was the last to eat... and only Davos stresses those kinds of moments

it's preety clear the reader, davos and jon will be the only ones to apreciate stannis's good qualities (he's not perfect) after his inevitable final sacrifice

That siege of Storm's End was simply unbelievable. Just, amazing, really.

To think about it, if it had been anyone other than Stannis, Storm's End would have fallen, and Mace would have taken Robert's brothers into custody as well as Robert's castle, giving a huge blow to the rebel cause, possibly even fatal. Look at what happened when Robb lost Winterfell.

Stan holding SE against all odds was the very reason why Robert could keep fighting, really. No wonder he expected atleast a few words of appreciation from his brother.

On 10/1/2016 at 8:08 PM, Land's End said:

I like Stannis but I don't get the hype. I especially like his interaction with Davos. It’s harder to understand what he’s doing after Davos leaves and we only get Jon’s and Asha's opinion on him.

I don’t get why people love him so much for insisting on his rights. If he was really fighting for the realm he should have swallowed his pride and supported Renly. Don’t get me wrong, Renly was unbearable and also completely wrong. But their little feud didn’t do the realm any good. Stannis definition of honor and duty is too literal and rigid for my liking. But that makes him a very realistic and tragic character.

Also, I never really understood why this sober, rational man lets some fire priestess call him the Chosen One.

Me too never got the hype though I like him and think he was a great character. Probably because Stannis is treated like a meme around these threads. 

13 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

That siege of Storm's End was simply unbelievable. Just, amazing, really.

To think about it, if it had been anyone other than Stannis, Storm's End would have fallen, and Mace would have taken Robert's brothers into custody as well as Robert's castle, giving a huge blow to the rebel cause, possibly even fatal. Look at what happened when Robb lost Winterfell.

Stan holding SE against all odds was the very reason why Robert could keep fighting, really. No wonder he expected atleast a few words of appreciation from his brother.

I think the fact the two watched their parents die together on SE tower actually made them alienate eachother... Imo every time they were alone together after it was a painful memory lane... So they kept their distance for the sake of avoiding sorrow... Jon and Robb's most powerful memory is them playing swords, Bob and Stannis is watching their parents die... My two cents really

No sooner had the sound of the warhorn died away than a drum began to beat: BOOM doom BOOM doom BOOM doom. And a name passed from the lips of each man to the next, written in small white puffs of breath. Stannis, they whispered, Stannis is here, Stannis is come, Stannis, Stannis, Stannis.

I'm unapologetically 110% a Stannis fan. This quote is one of my favorites from a DoD Theon chapter. Even with a rag-tag, half starved army behind him, men behind castle walls are afraid of Stannis Baratheon. He's a living legend, maybe the biggest in Westeros. 

I think a lot of the hype is Stannis's unfulfilled potential of badassness. He's basically indisputed as the realms greatest general, who held Storm's End, smashed the Iron Fleet and captured Great Wyk. But so far he's really only had one major battle and was defeated (him routing the wildlings wasn't much of a battle.) Stannis lovers are hype waiting for him to finally whoop someones ass. Probably Ramsay's (personally I love the Nightlamp theory). 

21 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

While holding Storm's End against Mace was certainly impressive for a boy of his age, to say that no one but Stannis could have done it is vastly exaggerating Stannis's accomplishments. After all, Storm's End had never fallen before at that point, ever, and this is Mace he was dealing with, one of the most disinterested and incompetent generals of the war. 

He did get some appreciation from his brother in the form of Dragonstone too, which was massive, and all of this despite Stannis being held responsible for failing to capture Daenerys and Viserys. (To be fair to him, it's undue criticism levelled his way)

3 minutes ago, Sullen said:

He did get some appreciation from his brother in the form of Dragonstone too, which was massive, and all of this despite Stannis being held responsible for failing to capture Daenerys and Viserys. (To be fair to him, it's undue criticism levelled his way)

It was meant as a slight and we've been told that from Cersei via Robert who told her.  We have no reason to believe she was lying.

Just now, NorthernXY said:

It was meant as a slight and we've been told that from Cersei via Robert who told her.  We have no reason to believe she was lying.

Cersei tells us that it was meant as a slight. We don't know if this is just an assumption on her behalf, or Robert really did tell her that.

Honestly, I doubt Robert ever trusted or confided in Cersei enough to reveal her his intimate thoughts about his brother. And anyway, Robert needed someone to rule Dragonstone, and Stannis was the most sensible option for a variety of reasons: he was Robert's heir, he could inspire fear to the Targaryen loyalists in the isles, he had the one who had conquered it, it was an honourable way to send him away from the Storm's End (the ones who had stood the siege under his orders weren't likely to love him much),...

12 minutes ago, NorthernXY said:

It's Cersei, and she sees slights in everything.

We have it from the word of the author himself that it was meant as a reward, and an overly generous one at that.

1 minute ago, The hairy bear said:

Cersei tells us that it was meant as a slight. We don't know if this is just an assumption on her behalf, or Robert really did tell her that.

Honestly, I doubt Robert ever trusted or confided in Cersei enough to reveal her his intimate thoughts about his brother. And anyway, Robert needed someone to rule Dragonstone, and Stannis was the most sensible option for a variety of reasons: he was Robert's heir, he could inspire fear to the Targaryen loyalists in the isles, he had the one who had conquered it, it was an honourable way to send him away from the Storm's End (the ones who had stood the siege under his orders weren't likely to love him much),...

Robert was drunk a lot.  Very likely Stannis would press the issue over wanting SE, Robert would deny him, get drunk, then go off on how angry he was Stannis didn't take Dragonstone sooner.  The isles aren't big enough to be a threat and Stannis could always get rid of anybody at SE once he was given his seat.  It's his castle, not the bloody cook's.

Just now, NorthernXY said:

Robert was drunk a lot.  Very likely Stannis would press the issue over wanting SE, Robert would deny him, get drunk, then go off on how angry he was Stannis didn't take Dragonstone sooner.  The isles aren't big enough to be a threat and Stannis could always get rid of anybody at SE once he was given his seat.  It's his castle, not the bloody cook's.

Robert is terrified of loyalists, and the Lords of the Narrow Sea are rather trade-rich and are a direct pathway to the capital. You bet your ass Robert saw them as a threat.

And again, word of the author, and basic common sense, say that Dragonstone was a very generous reward. A lesser one than Storm's End, which Renly got for less, but waaaaaaay more than Stannis should have ever hoped to get.

I don't think Robert giving Stannis Dragonstone was meant as a slight. Robert just didn't take Stannis' feelings or desires into account when he made the decision. There was a sense of practicality that I think went in to the decision.

Giving Renly SE was more of a slight to Stannis than Stannis receiving Dragonstone was, but again I don't think it was intentional on Robert's part. Or if it was, it was more in the sense that Robert might have felt disappointed in Stannis for failing to capture the remaining Targaryens (while he was still heartbroken and bloodthirsty, mind you), and Renly hadn't angered Robert in any way, not that he really could at that age.

Archived