Who will end Sansa's life?

Jeeves

Based on the letter from George Martin to his publisher, it seems Sansa was not one of the five who was originally planned to make it to the end. 

1. How do you think Sansa will die?  If someone will kill her, who do you think will do the deed?
  2. When do you anticipate this will happen in the story? 
  3. Are you anticipating a Stark vs. Stark conflict before she dies?

The initial outline drafted 20 years ago, I guess it's outdated. In that outline there was no Cersei and Jaime was the main evil.

Since than the plan changed a lot, other characters were introduced. Sansa got a bigger role. It's hard to say if she will live or die, but I won't assume she will die just because of the old outline.

Besides that if we count Starks left alive: Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon there're five. And Jon and Benjen are still under question.

You work on assumption that Martin meant that only 5 then-main characters (now we have 6 of them) would live to the end. That said, it would quite the boring novel with only 5 characters on the continent.

3 hours ago, Heavy D said:

Based on the letter from George Martin to his publisher, it seems Sansa was not one of the five who was originally planned to make it to the end. 

1. How do you think Sansa will die?  If someone will kill her, who do you think will do the deed?

1. I sincerely doubt Sansa will die. I believe this was a foreshadowing.

2. As I said, not before the end of series.

3. There will be some strained relationships and I doubt martin will give us smooth reunions, but I doubt it will escalate into Targaryen or Lannister confrontation we can indeed expect. For each and every one of them, family seems to be of utmost importance.

6 hours ago, Heavy D said:

ad 1): Sansa is in a more dangerous situation than she herself is probably aware of. Her protection is Littlefinger and her camouflage as Alayne. Littlefinger has told her too many secrects (his involvement in killing Jon Arryn and Joffrey) to let her out of his control. If he fears, she could turn against him or if her camouflage blows (who in the Vale would risk a conflict with Cersei at the moment?), one of Littlefinger's safest option would be to see her dead.

ad 3): Sansa meeting Arya would most probably lead to a conflict, especially if Arya learns the truth of Sansa's betrayal of Ned in Kings Landing.

No one.

Sansas story arc is in her evolving, to grow from what she were to what she will be. She has been a viewer, a disloyal romanticist, a pawn for others with no real influence herself and simply havn´t done so much herself compared to other, more active characters but rather "learning the ropes". This will most likely change and it is only two books left for it to do so and Sansa is not yet in a strong position. If Sansa will wield power, "entering the ring" so to speak - it makes no sense killing her until she has got a long chance doing so. And then let it be epic. Jons downfall for example took one book and you don´t create a character who dies before it has had some kind of lasting impact. Why portray her development if it doesn´t lead anywhere? Why let her learn harsh lessons if those lessons still won´t matter in the end? Is Sansa just one big trolling from GRRM?

No, I don´t think so. I think she and Bran are up there in the top as the likeliest characters to NOT die. 

14 hours ago, Heavy D said:

The outline was written over 20 years ago at the request of his publisher.  It has clearly been superseded, if it was even in effect at all.

Sansa will survive at least until her story is finished.  Given that her story is a standard coming-of-age tale, that is likely going to take a while.  If she dies, it will be at or near the end of the series.

I do not anticipate any Stark vs. Stark conflict, or at least nothing serious.  These aren't the Lannisters.  They genuinely care about each other, even the ones with whom they have rivalries.  While it's possible one of them (most likely Bran or Arya) could go down a very dark path and come into conflict with the other siblings,, I seriously doubt that will be the case

15 hours ago, Heavy D said:

1.) I believe Sansa (and Arya) will survive the series, foreshadowed here.

Ned knelt beside her. "He has years to find that answer, Arya. For now, it is enough to know that he will live." The night the bird had come from Winterfell, Eddard Stark had taken the girls to the castle godswood, an acre of elm and alder and black cottonwood overlooking the river. The heart tree there was a great oak, its ancient limbs overgrown with smokeberry vines; they knelt before it to offer their thanksgiving, as if it had been a weirwood. Sansa drifted to sleep as the moon rose, Arya several hours later, curling up in the grass under Ned's cloak. All through the dark hours he kept his vigil alone. When dawn broke over the city, the dark red blooms of dragon's breath surrounded the girls where they lay. "I dreamed of Bran," Sansa had whispered to him. "I saw him smiling."

2.)  See #1.

3.) No.  I see the Starks reuniting, not creating conflict with one another.  In fact, I consider the conflict between potential love interest and family to come again, as it was between Joffrey and her family.  Foreshadowed in the Fifth Suitor Theory (Baratheon/Tyrell/Lannister/Hardyng/Targaryen), Sansa will have the choice of two Targaryens to side with, Aegon being one, Jon being the other.  Aegon and Jon might not be in direct conflict with one another, and Sansa might not know Jon is a Targaryen, but she'll ultimately choose to support Jon over Aegon, the latter which she is connected to romantically or through a betrothal.

4 hours ago, Nevets said:

I do not anticipate any Stark vs. Stark conflict, or at least nothing serious.  These aren't the Lannisters.  They genuinely care about each other, even the ones with whom they have rivalries.  While it's possible one of them (most likely Bran or Arya) could go down a very dark path and come into conflict with the other siblings,, I seriously doubt that will be the case

If there's any Stark vs Stark conflict, it will most likely be Sansa against one of the other Starks considering she is the only wolf-less Stark. Arya may be separated from Nymeria but she still has a strong connection with her through warging. She's also the only one who's been legally separated from the Starks both by marriage and through Robb's will.

5 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I don't see a thematic reason for her to be killed. That sort of thing is reserved for superfluous characters, or those with more epic storylines. Sansa will more than likely live past the end of the series, then die of diabetes from too much lemoncakes.

I think I disagree with you, but for the same reason you say.  I believe that at this point Sansa has become superfluous, she no longer contributes to the story line, she's always been a pawn and never the one making moves.  At this point it seems as if she's hanging around out of nostalgia.  I think she has outlived her usefulness, and we know GRRM loves to dispose of those who have outlived their usefulness.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:31 AM, Protagoras said:

No one.

Sansas story arc is in her evolving, to grow from what she were to what she will be. She has been a viewer, a disloyal romanticist, a pawn for others with no real influence herself and simply havn´t done so much herself compared to other, more active characters but rather "learning the ropes". This will most likely change and it is only two books left for it to do so and Sansa is not yet in a strong position. If Sansa will wield power, "entering the ring" so to speak - it makes no sense killing her until she has got a long chance doing so. And then let it be epic. Jons downfall for example took one book and you don´t create a character who dies before it has had some kind of lasting impact. Why portray her development if it doesn´t lead anywhere? Why let her learn harsh lessons if those lessons still won´t matter in the end? Is Sansa just one big trolling from GRRM?

No, I don´t think so. I think she and Bran are up there in the top as the likeliest characters to NOT die. 

For a minute there, I thought you meant Arya was going to kill Sansa.

2 hours ago, spauldo17 said:

I think I disagree with you, but for the same reason you say.  I believe that at this point Sansa has become superfluous, she no longer contributes to the story line, she's always been a pawn and never the one making moves.  At this point it seems as if she's hanging around out of nostalgia.  I think she has outlived her usefulness, and we know GRRM loves to dispose of those who have outlived their usefulness.

And what usefulness that has been? If Sansa is not useful now, what purpose she had in ACoK or ASoS? She has never been much contributor to the world around her (heck, TV proved that even her indiscretion can be bypassed). The thing is that if she were to die, she had more than enough opportunities as she wasn't being held for something purposeful. Now, she is. Martin put incredible emphasis on her growing up in every way that killing her would make all those chapters truly pointless.

7 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I don't see a thematic reason for her to be killed. That sort of thing is reserved for superfluous characters, or those with more epic storylines. Sansa will more than likely live past the end of the series, then die of diabetes from too much lemoncakes.

I am more worried for her knitting skills once arthritis kicks in :D 

2 minutes ago, Risto said:

And what usefulness that has been? If Sansa is not useful now, what purpose she had in ACoK or ASoS? She has never been much contributor to the world around her (heck, TV proved that even her indiscretion can be bypassed). The thing is that if she were to die, she had more than enough opportunities as she wasn't being held for something purposeful. Now, she is. Martin put incredible emphasis on her growing up in every way that killing her would make all those chapters truly pointless.

I am more worried for her knitting skills once arthritis kicks in :D 

I guess that's my point...she's always been useless.  There's no point in keeping her around.  We can't glean anything out of Martin putting emphasis on her growing up.  He's done that for many characters that are now dead.  Sansa is a zero-sum character.  She doesn't offer anything to the story.  If Martin has her stick around for a while longer people will forget about her entirely and her death will lose all shock value.  As it is she's still considered widely to be enough of a "main character"  (though I disagree with that) that her death in the next book would still deliver that shock and disbelief. 

she's easily the worst character in the book, she's a prissy, self-pitying brat and there's no use for her.  That's when characters usually get killed off

Archived