Acrophilia 14: The Curse of The Acro-Demon - Round Three

Dolorous Gabe

1 hour ago, lil' ghost said:

oh, my.. i didn't even realized this started ... :dunce:

ETA: not that me being here to participate would matter, besides no one being in last :lol:

You can play without being on the board. Send me a list of answers if you like :)

A little message of support.

It is doable. I've not received many prelims yet but one stood out with 8/10 and very close to the theme. I expect that player to perfect the theme and correct at least one of the two incorrect answers. Fear not, however, for this player may yet suffer the curse somewhat.

The big hints are there in the clues but they may be hidden due to the restrictions on clue-making.

And remember, you will get feedback on your prelims which might help. We're a good cop-bad cop routine, the Acro-Demon and I.

43 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Mine is so easy if you apply a little logic...

I expect everyone will say the same of their own clue.

On 18.10.2016 at 5:45 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

And remember, you will get feedback on your prelims which might help. We're a good cop-bad cop routine, the Acro-Demon and I.

So, the Acro-Demon is the good cop, and you're the bad one, did I get this right?

4 hours ago, yomi said:

So, the Acro-Demon is the good cop, and you're the bad one, did I get this right?

:o

Extension denied :laugh:

Seriously though, some players have made a great effort to get answers in on time and some players will be away in the coming days so cannot make use of an extension unless it goes right through to next week.

I may yet extend grudgingly but don't count on it :rolleyes:

Okay, here is some small assistance with clues 2 and 3:

2. Please remember that "cook" is here used with a huge dollop of poetic licence. The word has a purpose but it is difficult to see even knowing the answer. It is in many ways a very clever clue. Narrow it down using the first three words, then consider how "cook" might be used poetically to distinguish between options. The first word can be used to distinguish between options too, via multiple meanings.

3. As I have told everyone in feedback on prelims, this is arguably the least known character in the bunch and the hardest to create a clue for. Please consider this fact and that hotheadedness is one of few things this character is known for, alongside helping to undress another fairly obscure character.

Extension granted.

The new deadline will be on Monday 24th October at 10pm UK time as I will be away over the weekend.

Please think about the information I have given you. If I have told you you'll get full marks for the theme but it is not how I put it, you may be looking at it in a way that is causing you to miss something in answering the clues even though your theme guess means basically the same thing and fits every character. If I gave you 3/4 it may be because you put two different things and even if one of those things is right, I can't give full marks because the other thing you put is categorically wrong.

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Please think about the information I have given you. If I have told you you'll get full marks for the theme but it is not how I put it, you may be looking at it in a way that is causing you to miss something in answering the clues even though your theme guess means basically the same thing and fits every character. If I gave you 3/4 it may be because you put two different things and even if one of those things is right, I can't give full marks because the other thing you put is categorically wrong.

Clear as mud now.

I gave up in shame and had a few days off after i accidentally posted my ruminations in the thread. Now I've bothered to read Gabe's advice in thread I am intrigued again and I may have a brief new attempt at the three clues I haven't got. 

I hope someone profited from my posted thoughts because I haven't!!

There is one clue I have no idea about. The character I originally thought of was incorrect, and the ones I have been able to associate the clue with since then are either too far-fetched or characters that don't fit my theme idea (which is apparently "sort of" correct) at all. This clue is not even one of the difficult ones mentioned in Gabe's hints above, so others have probably solved it. :( 

8 hours ago, Julia H. said:

There is one clue I have no idea about. The character I originally thought of was incorrect, and the ones I have been able to associate the clue with since then are either too far-fetched or characters that don't fit my theme idea (which is apparently "sort of" correct) at all. This clue is not even one of the difficult ones mentioned in Gabe's hints above, so others have probably solved it. :( 

it can't be mine.  My clue is so easy, I got it right on the first guess. ^_^

Heading towards the final 24 hours and everyone is doing much better and every clue has been answered correctly at least once.

A final thought for your consideration and assistance. Consider the wording of the clues carefully (and why the words used might have been chosen by the author) alongside my feedback on your prelims and use the resources at your disposal (the wiki, the search of ice and fire, the books, the ebooks, audio books etc).

I am going to have to extend a little as I won't be able to get to it until late tonight and I may prefer to leave it till tomorrow.

Still, please have everything ready in around 10 hours in case I decide to do the count tonight.

Archived