Acrophilia 14: The Curse of The Acro-Demon - Round Three

Dolorous Gabe

damn getting my tooth pulled must have been lucky...since i could not force Gabe to accept tourney as theme i had to go a different way...

congratsjulia...you just can't be beaten :bowdown:

congrats to everyone else ..well played :cheers:

Out of curiosity, what were my answers when you scored me? Based on the time of the post, I think I had my edits in... which wouldn't have mattered a lot, but I had eight right.

Didn't have the time to devote to this round and I find the clues more universally attributable than other tribes.

Dammit, I actually looked at all the sigils (I have a list that I made) and noticed that they were all winged creatures, but your clue, Gabe, said  look " It is a theme that relies upon some semi-canon sources " which I took to mean it was more compex than just ....sigils.

<sigh> I overthink this stuff.

7 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Out of curiosity, what were my answers when you scored me? Based on the time of the post, I think I had my edits in... which wouldn't have mattered a lot, but I had eight right.

Didn't have the time to devote to this round and I find the clues more universally attributable than other tribes.

Sorry Ser, when I counted up I think you had 3 correct. Denys Mallister, Viserys and Littlefinger.

Had you sent me a new reply in our PMs telling me I'd have taken the changes into account.

5 hours ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

Dammit, I actually looked at all the sigils (I have a list that I made) and noticed that they were all winged creatures, but your clue, Gabe, said  look " It is a theme that relies upon some semi-canon sources " which I took to mean it was more compex than just ....sigils.

I felt like I had to give that information because the info about some of the sigils doesn't come from the books directly.

Congrats @Julia H. !  Such a smartie-pants :D

Well played everyone.  Those clues nearly took my sanity.  Luckily it was nowhere to be found.

Great game, @"Dolorous" Gabe.  Thanks for hosting.

@Castellan your clue killed me.  I didn't think of Richard Horpe at all.  I had Jon Connington cause of Young Griff and the fact that the was "chopped" as hand of the king.  Plus his sigil.  It fit so well, but I just knew it wasn't right.

45 minutes ago, Destiel's Child said:

Congrats @Julia H. !  Such a smartie-pants :D

Well played everyone.  Those clues nearly took my sanity.  Luckily it was nowhere to be found.

Great game, @"Dolorous" Gabe.  Thanks for hosting.

@Castellan your clue killed me.  I didn't think of Richard Horpe at all.  I had Jon Connington cause of Young Griff and the fact that the was "chopped" as hand of the king.  Plus his sigil.  It fit so well, but I just knew it wasn't right.

Well I almost gave up when i drew Richard Horpe. I had never heard of him. I put the word 'disarming' instead of disarmer or disarmed because if you searched the wiki he would come up in the list (one of his few scenes seems to be where he disarms the Karstarks when they come to talk to Stannis).

Thanks for the congratulations.

@"Dolorous" Gabe, this was a superb game, very exciting and challenging, and yes, I think we have learned a lot about little-known characters. As for the new rules, looking at the results of the last round, I find it interesting how little we all were hit by the Acro-Demon's curse, even though it was quite a challenge to create a clue that would point definitely towards a very obscure character, of whom there is very little to know and even less to remember.  I really liked the themes, too. Thanks for inventing this new version of the game and thanks for hosting!

This last round, the only character I couldn't guess was Karyl Vance. My guess was Bloodraven - he doesn't seem cheerful in the novels, and "discolouration" seemed to point towards him. I did wonder why "peepers" was in the plural, as Bloodraven has only one eye, but then I remembered that he has a thousand and one, so I convinced myself that it would be OK. Not really an obscure character, but in the main series he doesn't appear often. The decisive argument in favour of him was that his sigil also contains a winged creature ( a white dragon), and that seemed to settle the question - as I didn't have any better ideas anyway. :D

I almost missed Richard Horpe. I searched for "disarm" in A Search of Ice and Fire, but only in the five books from AGoT to ADwD, while the quote that I needed (as I discovered later) was in AWoW. I was lucky to find him in the end. 

Well-played, everyone!

3 hours ago, Julia H. said:

@"Dolorous" Gabe, this was a superb game, very exciting and challenging, and yes, I think we have learned a lot about little-known characters. As for the new rules, looking at the results of the last round, I find it interesting how little we all were hit by the Acro-Demon's curse, even though it was quite a challenge to create a clue that would point definitely towards a very obscure character, of whom there is very little to know and even less to remember.

Glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

I'm assuming it helped that I gave feedback for clarification and that everyone knew vaguely how obscure the characters were.

But yes, I think everyone rose very well to the challenge

7 hours ago, Castellan said:

Well I almost gave up when i drew Richard Horpe. I had never heard of him. I put the word 'disarming' instead of disarmer or disarmed because if you searched the wiki he would come up in the list (one of his few scenes seems to be where he disarms the Karstarks when they come to talk to Stannis).

i went for donal noye in prelims just for the disarmed since he only has one....and i was looking at all in books who are believed by characters "in world" to be azor...stannis, dany, and in theory  (or show) jon is also considered...which is why i chosen donal at first...and during prelims i was working a theme guess about tournaments... :shocked:

it was clue 7 that had me staying up nights...i searched ape in wiki and text search and the only conversation was axell florent talking about davos...do i went for alester florent...as the knight in prison with davos as the "ape" that departed...then at the last minute something on google triggered it, i clicked on images and many were not apes at all but monkeys (having a tail)...so for shits and giggles i searched monkey on wiki...though i expected it to be futile, since i was convinced it was not a actual animal...and boom house mullendore poped up first in list...and since by then i had the winged creatures theme...and the he was ser mark mullendore...if there was fav clue voting clue 7 just on pure hair-pulling strength alone, would get my vote! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Julia H. said:

@"Dolorous" Gabe, this was a superb game, very exciting and challenging, and yes, I think we have learned a lot about little-known characters. As for the new rules, looking at the results of the last round, I find it interesting how little we all were hit by the Acro-Demon's curse, even though it was quite a challenge to create a clue that would point definitely towards a very obscure character, of whom there is very little to know and even less to remember.  I really liked the themes, too. Thanks for inventing this new version of the game and thanks for hosting!

This last round, the only character I couldn't guess was Karyl Vance. My guess was Bloodraven - he doesn't seem cheerful in the novels, and "discolouration" seemed to point towards him. I did wonder why "peepers" was in the plural, as Bloodraven has only one eye, but then I remembered that he has a thousand and one, so I convinced myself that it would be OK. Not really an obscure character, but in the main series he doesn't appear often. The decisive argument in favour of him was that his sigil also contains a winged creature ( a white dragon), and that seemed to settle the question - as I didn't have any better ideas anyway. :D

I almost missed Richard Horpe. I searched for "disarm" in A Search of Ice and Fire, but only in the five books from AGoT to ADwD, while the quote that I needed (as I discovered later) was in AWoW. I was lucky to find him in the end. 

Well-played, everyone!

i also had bloodraven at first and went your same way to justify it...(also he had been in a tourney) i went off the the eyes were the weirwood eyes which are often crying, gloomy in nature...and since we had been warned that demon was doing 2 clues of more well known characters i felt ok about it...but when i got viserys, and littlefinger, i knew it must be wrong ...which was born out when i got prelim remarks back...

i also enjoyed this game, the rule twist was cool with me...it forced me to rethink my search techniques...and short is cool since it gives our resident game stompers...Yes i am looking at you julia, castellan, fagile bird, from getting too far out in front to be caught...though one more round would have worked for me as i might of been able to catch julia ;)

thanks Gabe for trying something new...it was fun and i look forward to playing another game of it...and obscure characters were good since it made for some interesting re-reading :cheers:

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:48 AM, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

And the semi cannon comment was what sealed it for me.

@Julia H. Does this mean you will also be hosting the next philia game? Man would hate to be you.

6 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

@Julia H. Does this mean you will also be hosting the next philia game? Man would hate to be you.

:blush: :D Actually, I like hosting... I've been planning to host another Acrophilia game for a while now, and I'm quite willing to host  now unless somebody else wants to (because I realize that in this case I can't keep all the fun to myself :P). One thing is certain: I'll much rather host than let the game stop! So, if no one else wants to host, I will (and I have theme ideas, too). 

Well?

7 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

well at least someone else will have a chance to win... ;)

just remember naked women, sharing a drink with tyrion and discussing members has been done ...har, har, har!

:smoking:

How could I ever forget? ;)

Archived