Acrophilia 14: The Curse of The Acro-Demon - Round Three

Dolorous Gabe

1 hour ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

I am being horribly stumped by #6, and I expect I will feel very foolish when I find out what the answer is.

What a nasty woman.

(I assume that's what the name change refers to)

I spent a lot of time thinking on #6 but it was one of the first I got. Even then, I wasn't certain on it until prelims said I was right.

ROUND ONE ANSWERS AND SCORES (please check my tallies as I am tired tonight)

1. Fallen (heir, wizened) crossing.

Answer: Stevron Frey

Author: Ser Not Appearing

Curse Points: -0

Total: 20

2. Fishtails harbored woman cook.

Answer: Wynafryd Manderly  ("Fishtails harbored" leads to Manderly indirectly and fishtails can work for her braided hair. She knew about Wyman's plot, which can make her a "cook" in the Frey Pie plot)

Author: a free shadow

3. Implored offensive. [Hot]headed, undresser.

Answer: Marq Piper  (considered hotheaded by a few different sources and helped undress Roslin at her bedding)

Author: Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

Curse Points: -3

Total: 15

4. Followed horse, whacking cranium.

Answer: Cleos Frey  (Was ambushed and hit by arrows, at which his horse galloped off with him dragged to his death)

Author: rocksniffer

Curse Points: -2

Total: 18

5. Fosters hawks while crippled.

Answer: Willas Tyrell

Author: The Acro-Demon

6. Fell headless, wedding chimes.

Answer: Jon (Smalljon) Umber (The Smalljon is the only known character whose death was caused by decapitation at the RW)

Author: The Acro-Demon

7. From hedges? White cape.

Answer: Osmund Kettleblack

Author: yomi

Total: 14

8. Foil halts wedding cha-cha.

Answer: Dacey Mormont

Author: Destiel's Child

Total: 18

9. Flame haired watchable commander.

Answer: Addam Marbrand  ("watchable" was an indirect reference to the City Watch as well as his being considered handsome. His sigil is fiery)

Author: Castellan

Curse Points: -3

Total: 15

10. (Father's headless.) Warrior's captured.

Answer: Harrion Karstark

Author: Julia H.

Total: 22

11. Iron overran his corners.

Answer: Helman Tallhart  (corners was a very clever reference to Torrhen's Square. "His" should have pointed to Helman as it was his)

Author: Fragile Bird

Curse Points: -5

Total: 17

Theme: Eldest of siblings at the start of ASOIAF

So Julia H. takes the early lead with a nearly flawless set of answers and quite brilliant avoidance of the curse with a fairly obscure character. Ser Not Appearing follows close behind by having a good set of answers and steering clear of the curse (who expected the latter? Haha!). Destiel's Child and rocksniffer are close behind in joint 3rd after good performances. Fragile Bird scored as well as Julia but got hit by the curse. The remaining players are not too far behind and anything can happen in this game so don't lose hope.

As always, please check my tallies as I am tired tonight.

STANDINGS

1. Julia H. 22

2. Ser Not Appearing 20

3. Destiel's Child 18

3. rocksniffer 18

5. Fragile Bird 17

6. Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer 15

6. Castellan 15

8. yomi 14

Well played everyone. Round 2 clues coming shortly. I'll hand out R3 characters tomorrow.

I thought the last one was Benfred Tallhart (although I did not think much and I do not remember his father), because he was drowned, and because "overrun" make me think of water. I also thought it would have fitted very well for Bran "The sea came to Winterfell", again for the water, but he did not fit the theme. But if there would be a favorite clue vote, I would vote for this clue.

I understand that my clue was not very good. I had an easy and guessable one, but I thought Wynafryd needed an interesting one... Not that it was interesting in the end... The one thing I liked is how "fishtails" sound the same as "fish tales", and nearly liked how "fish tails" fit with "cook", but "fishtails" is neither this or that, even if Wynafryd had a braid. So, I understand that it should have been better.

ROUND 2 CLUES

The Acro-Demon has again provided two clues, but in this case they are for two slightly less known characters for balance. We don't want this to be too easy now, do we? Mwahahahahaaaaaa!

1. Very unhappy sky recital.

2. Rigorously loyal; unfortunately headless..

3. Vengeance urged, secret rippers.

4. Vicious “ugly” sister rebels.

5. Venom user? Spouse royale.

6. Veracious. Undaunted. Smuggler. Rescuer.

7. Very unpleasantly smelling rat.

8. Roarer's left: unfortunately handy.

9. Really little. Unbelievably hung!!

10. Valiant. Underhandedly switched rugrats.

11. Roaring lady uproar harried.

Theme???

I will be giving out less information on your prelims this time.

No deadline yet. I will decide that tomorrow when I hand out new character assignments for R3.

Enjoy! :cheers:

I was genuinely puzzled to find out people had trouble with my clue.

You know "iron" means ironborn, "ironborn overran", just check the Wiki for the places the ironborn over ran, "his" means a male person, "corners", I figured as soon as you looked at the list of places the ironborn overran you would see Torrhens Square and the answer would pop up.

The Wiki page, under Recent Events, starts "With Ser Helman Tallhart, master of Torrhen's Square..."

It couldn't be his son, because Benfred dies before his father, so Torrhen's Square was never "his".  There was a faint chance it could be Leobald, but that doesn't seem to be obvious answer, and of course, once you got the theme, you knew it wasn't.

I am disappoint, folks. :P

I missed Adam Marbrand, because I was certain the answer was Ronnet Connington.  Red haired, a commander, he is viewed with suspicion after Jon Connington invades, and so the Small Council considers sending him to the Night's Watch.  "Flame haired watchable commander" fits that description beautifully, right down to the part that he could be sent to the Wall, and therefore is watchable.  Marbrand, who showed up on my list of red heads, was part of the City Watch, so he wasn't watchable, was he, he was already part of the watch.

Grrrrrrrrrr.....  :lol: 

3 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I understand that my clue was not very good. I had an easy and guessable one, but I thought Wynafryd needed an interesting one... Not that it was interesting in the end... The one thing I liked is how "fishtails" sound the same as "fish tales", and nearly liked how "fish tails" fit with "cook", but "fishtails" is neither this or that, even if Wynafryd had a braid. So, I understand that it should have been better.

Hm, I actually thought fishtails was pretty clearly pointing to Manderly due to their sigil (even though I also checked like every other house with a fishtailed creatre on their coat-of-arms), my problem was the woman cook or rather the grammar of the clue. Fishtailes was one person for me, the subject of the clue, the woman cook another person that was harboured by Fishtailes. And I just couldn't figure out which woman had been harboured by any specific Manderly. In the end I kind of ignored the woman cook part, learned that Wylis was not the answer thanks to the prelims and guessed Wyman, since being lord he probably was an oldest child... Wynafryd, living in her grandfathers castle just didn't seem in the positon to be actively harbouring anyone yet....

2 hours ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

I was genuinely puzzled to find out people had trouble with my clue.

You know "iron" means ironborn, "ironborn overran", just check the Wiki for the places the ironborn over ran, "his" means a male person, "corners", I figured as soon as you looked at the list of places the ironborn overran you would see Torrhens Square and the answer would pop up.

The Wiki page, under Recent Events, starts "With Ser Helman Tallhart, master of Torrhen's Square..."

It couldn't be his son, because Benfred dies before his father, so Torrhen's Square was never "his".  There was a faint chance it could be Leobald, but that doesn't seem to be obvious answer, and of course, once you got the theme, you knew it wasn't.

I am disappoint, folks. :P

Nope, I didn't know that iron meaned ironborn. It was my fist guess, but after Alebelly was not the answer to the clue (ok, ironborn only overran his corner as in his corner to watch, not his corners but yeah), I figured that iron might also refer to Stannis and guessed Cortnay Penrose. As castellan of Storm's End it's corners were his duty and Stannis(' shadow) overran (ok, underran) them and killed him. And Cortnay and corner both start with "cor". Um. Well, I had fever last week, don't expect clear thinking from me :P

well i also had ronnet...cause he seemed perfect for clue...but shit happens...

4 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I thought the last one was Benfred Tallhart...so did i

I understand that my clue was not very good. I had an easy and guessable one, but I thought Wynafryd needed an interesting one

i also went for benfred in prelims....and i think your clue was great...though later i wanted it to be Wylla...but theme blocked me

3 hours ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

sniffer says..."????? i must have deleted FB words by accident...so i will say...go nasty girls

i love a nasty girl...since i am a nasty boy....all is well.....

:smoking:

Marbrand is commander of the city watch. I couldn't just do 'watch commander' but it was right there! I can't believe I got curse points!

PS I did have doubts around the fact that his hair is not really flaming it is copper coloured, but then everything about him and his house relates to fire. Should have gone with fire hearted, my alternate phrase.

I had put Sawane Botley for 11.   I was sure it was right, because he rebuilt his castle as a square with squat towers at the corners and he was drowned by Euron Greyjoy.  It seemed such a perfect fit that I stopped looking for alternatives.  

#3 took so long to find.  But then it suddenly clicked.  Perhaps it's because I read Marq Piper as Maris Piper and the [hot] in the clue reminded me of potatoes :blush:

Archived