Acrophilia 14: The Curse of The Acro-Demon - Round Three

Dolorous Gabe

I should have got Marq because (a) I considered the undressing might be part of a bedding and checked beddings out but I apparently didn't reread the actual bedding of Edmure. 

(b) I considered the Riverrun war council as place where hot headedness was displayed but and reread and identified Marq as hot headed but didn't take it any further.

Clearly, I was half asleep. Like my new lion or lioness.

#11 was the only one that I got wrong. I considered both Tallharts but went with Benfred in the end because I kept thinking of eldest sons and daughters who have not inherited (yet), i.e. who were just "sons" or "daughters", not lords or ladies on their own right. I realized that the castle wasn't Benfred's but I had to make a decision, and since Helman wasn't at home when the Ironborn came, I figured that it might still be Benfred. I had my doubts but I would have had my doubts the other way round as well.

I liked the Wynafryd Manderly clue (after I had figured it out). The Manderly reference was very clear from the start, but I had to do a lot of research on the Manderlys before I made the connection between the cooking of the Frey Pies and Wynafryd knowing of the plan. 

The one that took me the longest time to figure out was Cleos Frey, which was because I had completely forgotten how he died. At first I thought of the wine merchant who tried to poison Dany, and then I kept looking for another character who was tied to a horse. I had to type "horse" + <another word> in a hundred versions in A Search of Ice and Fire before I got to Cleos. Then it was totally clear. 

All in all, very good clues and a very challenging round despite all our efforts to make the clues easy. :D

So I have decided how prelims will work in R2.

I won't be giving feedback but you will get to know which are wrong and the bonus of getting your prelims in early will be finding out which clues were created by the Acro-Demon, which will tell you which clues' answers are less known characters than the others.

Remember that this round is full of very well known characters, except for the two as mentioned above.

R3 character assignments will be coming directly in PMs shortly.

The acronym choices will be       GPAD     or     CORT

16 hours ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

I was genuinely puzzled to find out people had trouble with my clue.

You know "iron" means ironborn, "ironborn overran", just check the Wiki for the places the ironborn over ran, "his" means a male person, "corners", I figured as soon as you looked at the list of places the ironborn overran you would see Torrhens Square and the answer would pop up.

The Wiki page, under Recent Events, starts "With Ser Helman Tallhart, master of Torrhen's Square..."

It couldn't be his son, because Benfred dies before his father, so Torrhen's Square was never "his".  There was a faint chance it could be Leobald, but that doesn't seem to be obvious answer, and of course, once you got the theme, you knew it wasn't.

I pretty much immediately got Torrhen's Square but since I had trouble with the theme, I could not understand why It would be Helman. I first guessed Benfred for preliminaries, then switched to Torrhen Karstark, which completely screwed up my theme as Torrhen was the third oldest son of the Karstark brood, though I did get Harrion.

Wynefred Manderly was tough, did not even consider her as a possibility, though after prelims I did figure it was a Manderly.

When our host announced that no one in prelims guessed Ser Marc Piper, I thought that I might end up with negative points for the first round, thanks to all those who actually came through. And to those three who missed the clue, it was not very good to begin with.

On 26 October 2016 at 4:23 AM, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

I pretty much immediately got Torrhen's Square but since I had trouble with the theme, I could not understand why It would be Helman. I first guessed Benfred for preliminaries, then switched to Torrhen Karstark, which completely screwed up my theme as Torrhen was the third oldest son of the Karstark brood, though I did get Harrion.

Wynefred Manderly was tough, did not even consider her as a possibility, though after prelims I did figure it was a Manderly.

When our host announced that no one in prelims guessed Ser Marc Piper, I thought that I might end up with negative points for the first round, thanks to all those who actually came through. And to those three who missed the clue, it was not very good to begin with.

Well I am really a bit dozy this game because I was under the impression I'd put him in prelims and he'd been wrong whereas I had only speculated it might be him and not actually put him in the list.

I'm setting the deadline on Wednesday 2nd November. I would prefer it to be early on Wednesday as I know I will be free during the day while the rest of my week is pretty unclear with potential to change.

Let's say midday UK time on the 2nd of November.

That should be enough time since this round is proving much easier.

On 10/25/2016 at 1:23 PM, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

<snip>

And to those three who missed the clue, it was not very good to begin with.

:bs:  that clue was perfect, RB2G...

i for one was just too blinded by my illogical desire for the answer to be Mors Umber  :rolleyes:

:smoking:

so now i have theme and most answers...beware people you don't want me in the lead...Mwahahahhaahaahhahhahhahaha

:devil:

On 10/24/2016 at 8:17 PM, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

<snip>

I missed Adam Marbrand, because I was certain the answer was Ronnet Connington.  Red haired, a commander, he is viewed with suspicion after Jon Connington invades, and so the Small Council considers sending him to the Night's Watch.  "Flame haired watchable commander" fits that description beautifully, right down to the part that he could be sent to the Wall, and therefore is watchable.  Marbrand, who showed up on my list of red heads, was part of the City Watch, so he wasn't watchable, was he, he was already part of the watch.

Grrrrrrrrrr.....  :lol: 

hey my dear Bird i was certain too...since i learned in prelims it wasn't Jon Con...the obvious answer.... <_<

On 10/25/2016 at 6:43 AM, Julia H. said:

<snip>

The one that took me the longest time to figure out was Cleos Frey, which was because I had completely forgotten how he died. At first I thought of the wine merchant who tried to poison Dany, and then I kept looking for another character who was tied to a horse. I had to type "horse" + <another word> in a hundred versions in A Search of Ice and Fire before I got to Cleos. Then it was totally clear. 

All in all, very good clues and a very challenging round despite all our efforts to make the clues easy. :D

yes i went for the obvious clue,  his head was beat to a pulp and jaime comments on it....i am glad i tripped you up or else you would be leagues ahead and impossible to catch, madam brainiac, as you were in tweetphobia... ;)

:smoking:

I liked the Cleos Frey clue because of the little laugh when you realise what is meant by "following" a horse in this case, and that the head whacked was his own. 

I ain't got no theme, the first idea I had involved extensive research and did not pan out so I am having a wee rest from it.

35 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I liked the Cleos Frey clue because of the little laugh when you realise what is meant by "following" a horse in this case, and that the head whacked was his own. 

I ain't got no theme, the first idea I had involved extensive research and did not pan out so I am having a wee rest from it.

thank you dear Castellan....i planned the clue to trip you up...haahhahhahaha

1 hour ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Apparently not that sober.

Hahaha!

On 29/10/2016 at 4:55 AM, rocksniffer said:

...Castellan is Castellan's Castellan

So, if as the host of the game I am kinda like the Castellan of the game, then Castellan is my Castellan, sort of like the Castellan of the Castellan?

Right?

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is really the last day to fine-tune your answers and complete your new clue as I will be counting up early in the day on Wednesday.

Keep me posted on your progress.

It's the last few hours of the Halloween Pokémon event.  I will be out trying to get the last few Gastlys, Meowths, Cubones and Haunters I can, and will get my new submission and that last answer in to you later this evening, ok?  Yesterday was a frantic day, with carving and setting stuff up.

Archived