Acrophilia 14: The Curse of The Acro-Demon - Round Three

Dolorous Gabe

WELCOME TO EDITION 14 OF ACROPHILIA

Salutations to all, to fellow Westerosi acrophiles, to curious fence-sitters, and to the mildly interested visitors. Join us for this brand-spanking (sorry, still working the rocksniffer's game out of my system) new edition of Acrophilia, the twisted, tricksy, tormentor of the wordplaying, wizened Westerosi community.

In this game, participants will be secretly assigned a character from AsoIaF. They will be given some time to create a clue that points to their respective character from either one acronym or a choice of two short acronyms (yet to be decided). Once all the clues have been created and the deadline has passed, the clues will be published on the thread for the players to work out. There will also be a common theme that links the characters in each round to solve.

There will be 3 rounds and the player with the most points at the end will win the game.

We will have a danger lurking all around us in this edition. The legend of the Acro-Demon has made a visitation to haunt the players for this game and has set a curse upon the authors. Some say the Acro-Demon is in fact the Black Goat of Qohor, traversing the perilous continuum of time and space to visit our world by a method of travel the human mind cannot begin to comprehend. Some say the Acro-Demon is a high-concept human construct, a being created accidentally from a failed scientific experiment by a deranged Mary Shelley fan. But there are also those who say this is all nonsense, that the Acro-Demon is actually a twisted freak who first developed the craziest, maddest, most fiendish fandom forum game on the internet. Whatever the truth, the curse is real and if you are to have any chance of winning this game, it must be avoided as much as possible. The scoring system section below has all the details.

Game Play

Step 1:

Each player is randomly assigned a character who fits the theme. The players will create their clue from the given acronym(s) and send to the host. This will all be done through private messaging. In this edition, the host will NOT be responsible for pointing out wrong answers that may fit your clue. This is because of the Acro-Demon's new author scoring system (see below). I will, however, be strict about acceptable form on orders from our devious visiting being. I will not be allowing direct references to names, nicknames, place names, object names, heritage, job titles (some degree of indirectness will be allowed at the Acro-Demon's sole discretion) etc. I will also be strict on words used. There will be no invention of words, although I may accept commonly known words outside of the English language (for example “sans”) but they must be commonly known. If the Acro-Demon thinks that a submitted clue is unacceptable, I will reject it and ask for another clue; and as punishment, its author is to be sent to serve The Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle for a week.

Step 2:

Once the deadline is reached and all clues from potential captives of the Acro-Demon are accepted, I will publish them on the thread and players will have a certain amount of time to work out the clues. I will also give out the characters and acronyms for the next round for you to work on/have in mind. You will have one preliminary set of answers to which I will tell you how many answers are correct but not which ones. There will be no discussion regarding the clues on the thread (complaining about a clue is fine, but no in-depth discussion or details). If you want to vent, vent freely at the host in private messaging and if I deem your issue with the clue to have merit in relation to the game rules I may help you out in a small way.

Step 3:

Once the deadline has passed, the scores and standings will be published and the new clues will be posted on the thread and the game will fly onwards to the next round.

Scoring System

2 points for a correct answer to a clue.

Up to 4 points will be received based on your closeness to the theme of the round.

A wrong answer to your clue will activate “The Curse of the Acro-Demon” (see below)

Explanation: In each round, you will all be receiving characters at a similar level of obscurity/prominence and the bounds of clue acceptability will be strict, so you will not gain a point for each correct answer to your clue. Instead, I will be trialling a system whereby you lose a point for every wrong answer to your clue. You want people to get it but that will be made harder to achieve. Beware The Curse of the Acro-Demon!

As such, there will also be no favourite clue voting. Your reward comes simply by avoiding the curse.

In Round 3, there will be a 5 point bonus awarded for a perfect round.

Signing Up

I am hoping for around 10 players but it can be extended to more if necessary

If you would like to sign up, please send your host – Dolorous Gabe – a PM entitled “Acrophilia 14: [your board name]” and I will list you below.

PLAYERS

1. rocksniffer

2. Julia H.

3. Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

4. Castellan

5. Destiel's Child

6. Ser Not Appearing

7. yomi

8. a free shadow

9. Fragile Bird

To keep you all occupied until you receive your characters for R1, the Acro-Demon has set a riddle for you to contemplate:

You are taking an evening stroll, the beautiful darkness ruined by nasty street lamps, when you hear an old lady shout for help. You look round and notice that a man has taken her handbag and is making off with it. You give chase, the good-hearted homo sapien that you are, and follow down a lovely dark narrow alleyway. You manage to keep him in sight through some twists and turns but he had a large headstart on you. When you come out from the alleyway, he seems to have disappeared. There are only two ways the clever robber could have gone and a nightclub is across the road which is only just about to open up. Two bouncers are standing outside it so you go over to them.

Now, here we branch into distinct unrealism for the purposes of the riddle's central dilemma, for one of these bouncers can only tell lies and one of them can only tell truths and you only get one question which can only be directed to one of them. You do not know which bouncer is which. One question to one of the two bouncers: what question do you ask to find out which way the robber went?

i am in ...and wearing my curse-rebounding cloak of invisibility... better hide behind your tablet, oh Dolorous One :devil:

as to the acros...i like 'em short...but it does make it harder to be specific ....

fuck it i vote short

:smoking:

man oh man i am #1 on the list....beware my fellow philiacs, my normal goal of coming in dead last hasn't worked out once...so this game demons, curses and all... i am winning....:devil:

...so sayeth the sniffer...

:smoking:

21 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Scoring System

2 points for a correct answer to a clue.

Up to 4 points will be received based on your closeness to the theme of the round.

A wrong answer to your clue will activate “The Curse of the Acro-Demon” (see below)

Explanation: In each round, you will all be receiving characters at a similar level of obscurity/prominence and the bounds of clue acceptability will be strict, so you will not gain a point for each correct answer to your clue. Instead, I will be trialling a system whereby you lose a point for every wrong answer to your clue. You want people to get it but that will be made harder to achieve. Beware The Curse of the Acro-Demon!

As such, there will also be no favourite clue voting. Your reward comes simply by avoiding the curse.

If I were deliberately thinking of the worst rules to apply, these would be it! Eating up all the imagination you can find.

3 hours ago, a free shadow said:

If I were deliberately thinking of the worst rules to apply, these would be it! Eating up all the imagination you can find.

Really? That's a 'surprise'! I 'honestly' tailor-made this system just for you! :P

In addition, I should point out again that the intention here is that it becomes harder to create a gettable clue.

In a second addition, this game will be done relatively quickly and we will have tried out a different approach to see how it works. I think there are a few former players who did not like the way we gradually made the system more favourable to making trickier clues so I thought it would be interesting to move it the other way and make it harder to even create gettable clues and maybe rekindle the interest of those who felt disappointed by the way the system developed.

Yes, get better soon!

Anyway, I'm torn... More letters are certainly good for creating a distinct clue, on the other hand it is nice not to be stck with one set of letters... Ah, well, I'm voting for long acro.

I'll play. Although I am surprised I would have expected our host to go in the other direction and add more points for favourite clues and less for writing correctly guessed clues.

I mean, some clues are hard to guess because they are just bad, but good clues include a cryptic element which wouldn't be very cryptic if they didn't pose a struggle. Anyway, I'll give it a go. Should work to my benefit!

The Acro-Demon is reigning me in. It demands more order and simplicity.

Mind you, I may be an agent of chaos at times as a host but I like things to be balanced. The yin and yang are due equal deference.

Halfway to the target of ten players.

A further well-wisher for @Lady Blizzardborn, the Acro-Demon sends its regards.

@yomi does this mean you are definitely in? I've only put players in officially who have sent me a PM.

23 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Really? That's a 'surprise'! I 'honestly' tailor-made this system just for you! :P

Yes, that is what I meant. A tailor made system for me. Not the general quality of the game.

23 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think there are a few former players who did not like the way we gradually made the system more favourable to making trickier clues so 

If there really are any imaginary players like that, who will enjoy it, good for them.

I haven't thought the riddle through completely in terms of how both would answer this under all scenarios... but what about something like:

"If I asked you both whether or not the robber went left (from your perspective facing the alley) would you both tell me yes?"

That doesn't seem quite right, but it's related to the right question.

5 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I haven't thought the riddle through completely in terms of how both would answer this under all scenarios... but what about something like:

"If I asked you both whether or not the robber went left (from your perspective facing the alley) would you both tell me yes?"

That doesn't seem quite right, but it's related to the right question.

You're along the right lines but this isn't quite right.

could you ask one of them what the other would say?  Then choose the opposite

so, if you asked the liar, he would lie about what the truthy would say, making it the opposite of the correct way.  If you asked the truthy, he would say what the liar would actually say, which would be opposite of the correct way.

The opposite of the opposite is correct.  Correct?

:unsure:

11 minutes ago, Destiel's Child said:

could you ask one of them what the other would say?  Then choose the opposite

so, if you asked the liar, he would lie about what the truthy would say, making it the opposite of the correct way.  If you asked the truthy, he would say what the liar would actually say, which would be opposite of the correct way.

The opposite of the opposite is correct.  Correct?

:unsure:

Correct.

Even if you confused me with the final paragraph.

:cheers:

If you ask either bouncer "what would the other bouncer say if I asked him which way the robber went?" you would get the wrong answer in both responses. So you go the opposite way to the one he tells you.

The Acro-Demon congratulates you

Archived