Acrophilia 14: The Curse of The Acro-Demon - Round Three

Dolorous Gabe

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The two that are not obscure were provided by the Acro-Demon but this time you will not find out which in prelims.

We'll find out because those will be the two we can solve.

ROUND 2 ANSWERS AND SCORES

1 Very unhappy sky recital.

Answer: Marillion

Author: The Acro-Demon

2 Rigorously loyal; unfortunately headless..

Answer: Eddard Stark

Author: Castellan

Curse Points: 0

Total: 24

3 Vengeance urged, secret rippers.

Answer: Nymeria Sand

4 Vicious “ugly” sister rebels.

Answer: Arya Stark

Author: Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

Total: 20

5 Venom user? Spouse royale.

Answer: Margaery Tyrell

Author: yomi

6 Veracious. Undaunted. Smuggler. Rescuer.

Answer: Davos Seaworth

Author: Julia H.

7 Very unpleasantly smelling rat.

Answer: Theon Greyjoy

Author: Fragile Bird

Total: 22

8 Roarer's left: unfortunately handy.

Answer: Jaime Lannister

Author: Ser Not Appearing

9 Really little. Unbelievably hung!!

Answer: Tyrion Lannister

Author: rocksniffer

10 Valiant. Underhandedly switched rugrats.

Answer: Jon Snow

Author: Destiel's Child

11 Roaring lady uproar harried.

Answer: Cersei Lannister

Author: a free shadow

Theme: Characters who have been held captive at some point in ASOIAF

STANDINGS

1. Julia H. 22 + 24 = 46

2. Ser Not Appearing 20 + 24 = 44

3. Destiel's Child 18 + 22 = 40

3. rocksniffer 18 + 22 = 40

5. Fragile Bird 17 + 22 = 39

5. Castellan 15 + 24 = 39

7. Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer 15 + 20 = 35

8. yomi 14

Congratulations firstly to Julia H., Ser Not Appearing, Castellan, and a free shadow who all got the correct answer to the devious Acro-Demon's Nymeria Sand clue to take full marks. Also, congratulations to everyone for avoiding the Curse of the Acro-Demon, although for some (rocksniffer particularly!) it was a close call. It was a solid scoring round as intended and only one change was made to the standings as Castellan managed to keep within touching distance of the frontrunners.

On the Tyrion clue, it was one of those situations where I felt like I couldn't say anything because of the curse element of this version. I have to let players walk into it. For those who don't understand it, it is very much a show reference (the ridiculous "cock merchant" scene with the slavers in S5) and also probably mostly wishful thinking on rocksniffer's part (since we know who his favourite character is). Anyway, in the end the sniffer got away with it and everyone got it right. But sorry sniffer, it is certainly not canon that Tyrion is “unbelievably hung” and I very much find the way the show has painted him as near-perfection to be entirely detrimental to the fascinating complexity of Tyrion - “the greyest of the grey”, as GRRM once referred to him. For the record, Tyrion is one of my faves too (in the books). I love watching and reading about complex grey characters.

Julia H. gave me the biggest laugh of the round when she commented on the Tyrion clue that “it sounds like a very small tapestry” :lmao:

2 hours ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

I hate you all.

Every one of you.

You got probably the easiest character this round.

And to everyone:

Admittedly, there are some seriously obscure characters in this round but I was trying to balance it out from R1. There was randomness to the process but some characters were out of bounds to some players.

And yes, you will need to research for most of these clues! A huge amount of thought and effort went into making these clues in tricky circumstances, so understand that the hints are there like crumbs to be followed. And remember that I will try to be as helpful as I feel I can be with my prelim feedback.

I considered Pod as well.

I really, really thought the answer to #3 was a Sand Snake, but couldn't figure it out and decided Arianne Martell and her revenge plot was the correct answer.  "Secret rippers" had me stumped.  Can you explain the clue, Gabe?

I had thought about Marillion, but decided against because he was a little obscure for the round (IMHO). Lady Nym, on the other hand, did not even cross my mind. and as a result, I am last (if you do not count yomi). Weird, I thought that I was doing well here. Man, was I wrong.

Glad everyone got my clue this time.

24 minutes ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

I considered Pod as well.

I really, really thought the answer to #3 was a Sand Snake, but couldn't figure it out and decided Arianne Martell and her revenge plot was the correct answer.  "Secret rippers" had me stumped.  Can you explain the clue, Gabe?

I thought rippers meant knives because Nym carries a dozen knives concealed on her person.

I only got it because I first eliminated Rickard Karstark in prelims and then I thought I had got the theme so I was able to eliminate Bowen Marsh as not having been imprisoned (and he didn't fit well anyway because he was doing it 'for the watch' not for vengeance). 

I decided it had to be a sandsnake and reread the parts where they each met with Doran which mentioned her knives and she was talking about vengeance and listing who she wanted dead. Prior to this I assumed the secret rippers were assassins bearing knives or swords not the knives themselves.

21 minutes ago, Nasty Fragile Bird said:

Sure, Nym is known for hiding knives on her person. That's basically it. I know it wasn't a great way of saying it but it was tricky to make a clue for her that marked her out from her sisters.

50 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

ROUND 2 ANSWERS AND SCORES

1 Very unhappy sky recital.

Answer: Marillion

2 Rigorously loyal; unfortunately headless..

Answer: Eddard Stark

Author: Castellan

3 Vengeance urged, secret rippers.

Answer: Nymeria Sand

4 Vicious “ugly” sister rebels.

Answer: Arya Stark

Author: Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

Total: 20

5 Venom user? Spouse royale.

Answer: Margaery Tyrell

Author: yomi

6 Veracious. Undaunted. Smuggler. Rescuer.

Answer: Davos Seaworth

Author: Julia H.

7 Very unpleasantly smelling rat.

Answer: Theon Greyjoy

Author: Fragile Bird

8 Roarer's left: unfortunately handy.

Answer: Jaime Lannister

Author: Ser Not Appearing

9 Really little. Unbelievably hung!!

Answer: Tyrion Lannister

Author: rocksniffer

10 Valiant. Underhandedly switched rugrats.

Answer: Jon Snow

Author: Destiel's Child

11 Roaring lady uproar harried.

Answer: Cersei Lannister

Author: a free shadow

Theme: Characters who have been held captive at some point in ASOIAF

STANDINGS

1. Julia H. 22 + 24 = 46

2. Ser Not Appearing 20 + 24 = 44

3. Destiel's Child 18 + 22 = 40

3. rocksniffer 18 + 22 = 40

5. Fragile Bird 17 + 22 = 39

5. Castellan 15 + 24 = 39

7. Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer 15 + 20 = 35

8. yomi 14

Congratulations firstly to Julia H., Ser Not Appearing, Castellan, and a free shadow who all got the correct answer to the devious Acro-Demon's Nymeria Sand clue to take full marks. Also, congratulations to everyone for avoiding the Curse of the Acro-Demon, although for some (rocksniffer particularly!) it was a close call. It was a solid scoring round as intended and only one change was made to the standings as Castellan managed to keep within touching distance of the frontrunners.

On the Tyrion clue, it was one of those situations where I felt like I couldn't say anything because of the curse element of this version. I have to let players walk into it. For those who don't understand it, it is very much a show reference (the ridiculous "cock merchant" scene with the slavers in S5) and also probably mostly wishful thinking on rocksniffer's part (since we know who his favourite character is). Anyway, in the end the sniffer got away with it and everyone got it right. But sorry sniffer, it is certainly not canon that Tyrion is “unbelievably hung” and I very much find the way the show has painted him as near-perfection to be entirely detrimental to the fascinating complexity of Tyrion - “the greyest of the grey”, as GRRM once referred to him. For the record, Tyrion is one of my faves too (in the books). I love watching and reading about complex grey characters.

Julia H. gave me the biggest laugh of the round when she commented on the Tyrion clue that “it sounds like a very small tapestry” :lmao:

Brother Gabe, i take this as a challenge and shall find text support for my claims...

but i must say being close to the lead at this point is a shocker to me... :shocked:

i admit it #3 was a bitch of a clue that secretly ripped me a new ass...i went for the Hound since he deserved to be on this list...

ok Ser n/a, miss Julia and Castellan...what the fuck did this clue mean...

:smoking:

17 minutes ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

I had thought about Marillion, but decided against because he was a little obscure for the round (IMHO). Lady Nym, on the other hand, did not even cross my mind. and as a result, I am last (if you do not count yomi). Weird, I thought that I was doing well here. Man, was I wrong.

Glad everyone got my clue this time.

Remember that I did tell you that the clues by the Acro-Demon were less known characters.

You've done well. Don't let the position put you off as there aren't a huge amount of points in it. You'd probably be close to the top if the R1 deadline had been adhered to.

4 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I bid thee good luck in your endeavour, dear friend

"Even his manhood was ugly, thick and veined, with a bulbous purple head." ~ Sansa about Tyrion on her wedding night ASoS - Sansa lll

my first attempt...perhaps not length evidence...but girth is critically important...or so i have been told... ;)

still looking

1 minute ago, rocksniffer said:

"Even his manhood was ugly, thick and veined, with a bulbous purple head." ~ Sansa about Tyrion on her wedding night ASoS - Sansa lll

my first attempt...perhaps not length evidence...but girth is critically important...or so i have been told... ;)

still looking

Girth is allegedly important, but when people talk of size they tend to talk of length in inches. You're clutching here, my friend!

I'm shocked I got the final four clues and the theme out of nowhere this morning. And all in about a half hour.

Theon was the next best guess after that turned out not to be Varys (who had sa disguise that fits the description very well).

Getting Margaery got me the theme. Took me awhile to guess her, as I don't often think of her being involved. I kept trying to figure out how others might be considered Royal. No idea why the theme sunk in once I had this clue, but suddenly it was there.

Marillion I rejected originally because I was stuck on speech and not music... but then a recital can mean music and once I knew that was one of the lesser known characters, he was the only sky cell reference that fit.

Nym was obviously a sand snake but it took me awhile to stop thinking of ripping something and to consider it from the perspective of things that rip. Weapons rip throats open. That was the final one... and, yes, researched while driving in the rain during rush hour.

i had at first thought the ripper clue was something to do with knives...since most slang dictionaries ripper can refer to jack the ripper...and while i did consider snakes due to their captivity...a theme i got early on...i could not figure out which...and after days of searching i gave up and went for Sandor

...and i started off with asha greyjoy for "ugly sister"...clue fits her as well in my not so humble opinion but after prelims i knew it must be arya...

and gabe...i stand by my assertion that many will choose girth over length...though i am too much of a gentleman to quiz the philia Ladies to validate my assumption... :leer:

6 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

and gabe...i stand by my assertion that many will choose girth over length...though i am too much of a gentleman to quiz the philia Ladies to validate my assumption... :leer:

You are free to stand by such an assertion my friend and I am not denying it. I'm just saying "well hung" when talking of male appendage tends to refer to length. Nearly everyone guessed wrong in prelims and if it wasn't for me telling them it is wrong and the fact everyone knew how obscure or well known each character would be, I think they wouldn't have got it right. The only reason I explained it is because most players were baffled by it even after guessing correctly.

39 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

You are free to stand by such an assertion my friend and I am not denying it. I'm just saying "well hung" when talking of male appendage tends to refer to length. Nearly everyone guessed wrong in prelims and if it wasn't for me telling them it is wrong and the fact everyone knew how obscure or well known each character would be, I think they wouldn't have got it right. The only reason I explained it is because most players were baffled by it even after guessing correctly.

ok :bowdown: i surrender...for the moment...

though you must admit the cock merchant scene was funny...however i honestly used it because he acts like a man who believes he has a 2 ft member...though he repeatedly claims the opposite...

i accept without explanation i would not be tied for third if you and the demon weren't so forthcoming...so i guess Miss Bird has a reason to hate ... ;)

35 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

though you must admit the cock merchant scene was funny

I thought "guess again" was a well worked gag but this isn't Monty Python. Aside from that, the whole scene was for me a cringe-fest. I know we won't agree on the quality level of the show, brother, but I do admire your positivity and we fervently agree on so many other things! Let us drink to the latter :cheers:

Archived