That perfect film moment. (Add spoiler waring if spoiler clip)

helenedwards

While discussing both versions of The Thomas Crown Affair elsewhere, the famous chess scene from the original came to mind and gave me an idea for a thread.

What's your perfect film moment? It could be a scene or just a few seconds in a film where all of the elements come together to create that special piece of cinema magic. It could be a great moment from a classic film or a magical sequence from an otherwise not so hot film (I can think of quite a few of those).

Try to post a clip if possible or a still with a brief note as to what makes your chosen moment so special. I'll start the ball rolling with... 

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) 

My favourite scene from this film, where McQueen and Dunaway finally "nail" each other after the "will they-won't they" foreplay of the first half of the film. 

What makes this such a perfect moment for me is that all of the cinematic elements are nigh on perfect; Norman Jewison's assured direction, the virtually wordless performances of the two leads, the lavish cinematography and what is virtually a pocket masterclass in the art of film editing. 

And tying all of these elements perfectly together, the lush, sensuous musical score by French composer Michel Legrand, who in The Thomas Crown Affair gave us one of the great film soundtracks of this or any other era. One that simply oozes '60s cool, as does the entire film.

Topped off with probably the two hottest sex symbols of the time igniting the screen. 

(Plus, you get to see Faye Dunaway stroke Steve McQueen's bishop! Honest. :thumbsup: )

OK guys and girls, let's see yours. :)

On 10/3/2016 at 9:40 AM, helenedwards said:

While discussing both versions of The Thomas Crown Affair elsewhere, the famous chess scene from the original came to mind and gave me an idea for a thread.

What's your perfect film moment? It could be a scene or just a few seconds in a film where all of the elements come together to create that special piece of cinema magic. It could be a great moment from a classic film or a magical sequence from an otherwise not so hot film (I can think of quite a few of those).

Try to post a clip if possible or a still with a brief note as to what makes your chosen moment so special. I'll start the ball rolling with... 

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) 

My favourite scene from this film, where McQueen and Dunaway finally "nail" each other after the "will they-won't they" foreplay of the first half of the film. 

What makes this such a perfect moment for me is that all of the cinematic elements are nigh on perfect; Norman Jewison's assured direction, the virtually wordless performances of the two leads, the lavish cinematography and what is virtually a pocket masterclass in the art of film editing. 

And tying all of these elements perfectly together, the lush, sensuous musical score by French composer Michel Legrand, who in The Thomas Crown Affair gave us one of the great film soundtracks of this or any other era. One that simply oozes '60s cool, as does the entire film.

Topped off with probably the two hottest sex symbols of the time igniting the screen. 

(Plus, you get to see Faye Dunaway stroke Steve McQueen's bishop! Honest. :thumbsup: )

OK guys and girls, let's see yours. :)

Ow very nice scene. I have never seen that film.

I will counter that with Last of the Mohicans.

The waltz in Before Sunset

Brian and Mandy Cohen addressing the crowd in Life of Brian

Ellie and Carl's life together in Up

The final reveal in Se7en

Not the best scene, but the best match for the music: Don't Stop Me Now in Shaun of the Dead

Honourable mention from TV from Dr Who, Van Gogh visits the Musée d'Orsay

Archived