Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

Started up a new Dark Souls 3 character before the DLC drops next week.  I'm doing this one w/ a guide so I can get the different endings.  Started off as a mage and I think the spell 'Hidden Body' is quite possibly the most useful spell I've ever come across in these games.  How have I not done this before?  I have basically gone through, collected everything and opened all shortcuts in every new area before actually starting the level.  It's been awesome.  I also usually create glass cannons, but have gone with getting my health, endurance, and vitality up to 20 first while wielding a fire (no scaling) weapon and only upgrading that single weapon.  May even try to get my platinum for this.

I'd be very surprised if they don't release it on PC considering how well GTAV has sold. 

They're just not going to announce it before it releases on console cause people will buy it twice. Hell, people bought GTAV three times. 

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

Started up a new Dark Souls 3 character before the DLC drops next week.  I'm doing this one w/ a guide so I can get the different endings.  Started off as a mage and I think the spell 'Hidden Body' is quite possibly the most useful spell I've ever come across in these games.  How have I not done this before?  I have basically gone through, collected everything and opened all shortcuts in every new area before actually starting the level.  It's been awesome.  I also usually create glass cannons, but have gone with getting my health, endurance, and vitality up to 20 first while wielding a fire (no scaling) weapon and only upgrading that single weapon.  May even try to get my platinum for this.

Grab the Astora Straight Sword and make it raw.  Easily the best bang for your buck as far as stat investment goes for most of the game.  

2 hours ago, briantw said:

No PC version for RDR2?  Guess Rockstar doesn't want my money.

There probably will be. There wasn't a PC version of Red Dead Redemption because the game was badly-coded and apparently Rockstar were amazed it worked at all (it used a bizarre custom hybrid of the RAGE 2 and 3 engines rather than either one outright). Some of the people who coded the game also quit during development, and without them they weren't too sure what the hell would happen if they tried to port the game over.

Their conclusion was that the only way to make it work would be to take all the assets out and completely dump the code and reprogramme the game from the ground up in RAGE 3. Which is an enormous amount of work. It'd probably be worth it because they can then update the game for PS4 and XB1, but they obviously decided to just make a new game instead.

Looks like it's going to be an interesting day for gaming announcements.

The Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer is released at 4.45 pm (UK time). I wish they had made better use of the RDR naming convention and gone with Retribution or Revolution for the title. But it doesn't matter, the game will be awesome anyway.

Before that we have a video announcement from Nintendo at 3 pm (UK time) with the first reveal of the NX. In all honesty I've stopped being excited about Nintendo stuff over the last few years after they failed to capitalise on the success of the Wii and released a console which to this day only has a handful of great games to it's name. I really wish Nintendo had invested their money in more studios to make more games, content is king and in my opinion the Wii U just didn't deliver. The rumours about what the NX is (hybrid handheld/home console) don't excite me either, but I will give it a watch and see if they have something special up their sleeves to surprise us with.

I think sticking with Redemption in the title could mean the game will likely feature Marston, Williamson, Escuela, and be a prequel with some of Dutches gang. I just hope they are kind of background characters and we get a fresh character(s) to play as. Guess we will know in a couple hours. 

On 10/18/2016 at 5:13 PM, Werthead said:

Finished Quantum Break. It was excellent, if a bit janky.

Next up, probably Mad Max as it was dirt cheap and I want something actiony before Tyranny comes out.

Mad Max was surprisingly fun. Car combat and customization are really solid and easily the best bits of the game, the on foot combat isn't bad but there's a bit too much of it. It's Arkham style. Chock full of the usual open-world repetitive filler content though. Good audiobook game.

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I think sticking with Redemption in the title could mean the game will likely feature Marston, Williamson, Escuela, and be a prequel with some of Dutches gang. I just hope they are kind of background characters and we get a fresh character(s) to play as. Guess we will know in a couple hours. 

Bleh. Boring. The only story convention worse than a video game prequel is a movie prequel. I just don't care when I already know the ending for all the characters. I think it will have to be set before the first game, since Redemption was about the end of the old west*, but I'd hope its about different characters in a different place.

*Unless its set in modern-day Wyoming/Idaho/Montana; that'd be kinda awesome too.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I think it will have to be set before the first game, since Redemption was about the end of the old west*, but I'd hope its about different characters. 

I wouldn't mind if they were background characters but yeah I don't really want them to be the center focus of the new story. 

Trailer confirms it takes place pre RDR I think (all the Buffalo, in the first game if you kill all the Buffalo they go extinct and like you said the first one was the end of the Old West) but nothing about the characters/story though the only line could be about John leaving the gang I guess? 

Graphics look great. 

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I wouldn't mind if they were background characters but yeah I don't really want them to be the center focus of the new story. 

Trailer confirms it takes place pre RDR I think (all the Buffalo, in the first game if you kill all the Buffalo they go extinct and like you said the first one was the end of the Old West) but nothing about the characters/story though the only line could be about John leaving the gang I guess? 

Graphics look great. 

The picture from yesterday confirmed it was pre RDR.  Marsden is in the picture.

8 hours ago, The Unborn said:

So Nintendo just annonced the Nintendo Switch.

http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/7editeurs20161020_162325_2_big.jpg

I really love the concept.

I like the concept. It is very much a handheld that moonlights as a home console, and I think that's Nintendo's strongest play to it's biggest market. But the rumoured specs might suggest the home console experience might not be all that great.

Still our house has traditionally been a PS home console and Nintendo hand held place. So there is certainly potentially a place for Switch in our house. Unlike Wii / Wii U or any other Nintendo dedicated home consoles.

19 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yo, turns out battlefield comes out tonight??? Some nice young man from the gamestop just called to ask if I'd be showing up for the release.

I got it early and been playing it the last few days. The maps are huge and gorgeous, and the battles get absolutely hectic and intense. 

My one major complaint so far is that I miss the old mini-map system. It feels too much like hardcore mode. Don't know if you played the beta or read about it but basically the only way for someone to show up on the mini-map is for you or a teammate to spot them(which 95% of players don't even do). Every map is basically sniper and camper paradise because of this and the size of the maps. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and it's only my preference, but it is a little frustrating right now.

29 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I got it early and been playing it the last few days. The maps are huge and gorgeous, and the battles get absolutely hectic and intense. 

My one major complaint so far is that I miss the old mini-map system. It feels too much like hardcore mode. Don't know if you played the beta or read about it but basically the only way for someone to show up on the mini-map is for you or a teammate to spot them(which 95% of players don't even do). Every map is basically sniper and camper paradise because of this and the size of the maps. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and it's only my preference, but it is a little frustrating right now.

Yeah, I paid extra for the early version too. I felt a little dirty about it, it's not a tactic I like supporting. But I just couldn't wait. It's quite fun and I agree about the radar. I also don't like how they handle the dreadnoughts, just giving one to the losing team at some point in the match. There should be special objectives or something you have to complete to get one for your team. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I paid extra for the early version too. I felt a little dirty about it, it's not a tactic I like supporting. But I just couldn't wait. It's quite fun and I agree about the radar. I also don't like how they handle the dreadnoughts, just giving one to the losing team at some point in the match. There should be special objectives or something you have to complete to get one for your team. 

I liked that the gunship in 3 was determined by who was controlling C.

Archived