Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think Valve could do it. If they dropped Half-Life 3 one day without any warning whatsoever, it'd still sell millions and millions of copies near-instantly.

I suspect they're the only company capable of doing such a thing though.

I suppose they could. For a digital only, PC exclusive it could work. 

But then they potentially pass up those sweet, sweet pre-orders. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I suppose they could. For a digital only, PC exclusive it could work. 

But then they potentially pass up those sweet, sweet pre-orders. 

Eh. Preorders are much less important if you're doing nothing but digital only. And you don't pass them up at all; Steam has them all over the place and even lets you pre-download if you've preordered.

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Eh. Preorders are much less important if you're doing nothing but digital only. And you don't pass them up at all; Steam has them all over the place and even lets you pre-download if you've preordered.

I meant in the context of a game never having a set release date, or possibly never even being officially announced, just getting released out of the blue a la Beyonce's last album. You couldn't have pre-orders for something people don't know about. 

But on the point of pre-orders being less important for digital only games, that's true. 

I think Bioware are trying to play it very cautiously with the marketing for ME:A after the satisfaction problems with ME3. You can't oversell promises of what you can do in the game if you don't really say anything about what you can do at all! That said, I definitely expect a lot of info to come out now.

More important then any silly news out of Bioware, Blizzcon starts in like ... 3 hours.

Should be some interesting info coming out. At this point I frankly can't be bothered to type out what the rumours all are. Fuck it, we'll know for sure soon enough.

Sombra looks amazing. I can't wait to play her. And her animation short... omg.

The Overwatch League is also something amazing which can only happen with a huge playerbase like Overwatch and League of Legends can have. If I didn't have uni, I'd be searching for people to prepare to play in it now. The Arcade with more game modes also sounds like a lot of fun.

SC2 gets Alexei Stukov as a new COOP commander(awesome), last Nova DLC pack on 22nd and that they'll be developing Deepmind AI to conquer SC2 they way it conquered GO, and all of this is absolutely awesome. Wish I could buy Stukov and Nova as commanders, would probably be the only two terran commanders I'd play.

Won't get me to buy the pack. I'm a bit eager for more details on the D1 dungeon. So it will have 8-direction movement, but with the current classes? D3 item system, or D1? I spent many hours hanging out in the battle.net Sorcerer's Tower chat room, and hoping for sweet Zodiac rings. I wouldn't mind playing a pretty version of D1, depending on the details. The Necro was my least played class in D2, so I really just don't care much about it. Diablo 3 is just a cesspool of terrible itemization and boredom. I'll be much more excited for Path of Exile's 3.0 expansion.

That reminds me... What the fuck happened to that steampunk game we got a trailer for and never heard of again? that was like... 3 or 4 years ago. Is the project dead? Didn't someone already ask this last year? Was it me?

I'M SO CONFUSED

37 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That reminds me... What the fuck happened to that steampunk game we got a trailer for and never heard of again? that was like... 3 or 4 years ago. Is the project dead? Didn't someone already ask this last year? Was it me?

I'M SO CONFUSED

Steampunk game? Not sure which one you mean. 

Unless you mean the Cyberpunk game CDPR is working on. 

It's in development and I don't think will get released before 2018. They probably underestimated how much time they are going to need to finish both Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077... by a LOT. Since CDPR has been very succesful, I am reasonably confident it'll see the light of day.

On the other hand, colour me surprised, cause damn Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is actually a damn good game.

Yeah, Cyberpunk 2077 is an absolutely monster, monumental game from everything they've been saying. Bigger, by far, than The Witcher 3 and with more reactivity.

Remember that The Witcher 3 only came out in early 2015. I'm not expecting Cyberpunk 2077 until 2019 at the earliest.

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

CDPR basically has a free pass right now.  They've moved into the "instant buy" category for me as a result of Witcher 3.  

I do want to try it, but I've been put off by the first two games, both of which were crushingly mediocre. Not helped by a bug in The Witcher 2 that I can only overcome by reloading an autosave and completely redoing the last 2 hours of the game.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I do want to try it, but I've been put off by the first two games, both of which were crushingly mediocre. Not helped by a bug in The Witcher 2 that I can only overcome by reloading an autosave and completely redoing the last 2 hours of the game.

I never finished either of the first two Witcher games, but I finished the third one and the two expansions.  It's just so much better than the first two, and the writing and acting got significantly better as well.  The writing in the second game really suffered from the translating, I think, whereas the third one might as well have been written in English originally.  Just a much better translation job.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm in love with Sombra from her launch trailer, excellent design! 

Eh, I don't know. Her hacking and EMP seems a little too hard counterish. Would have to see how it actually plays out, though.The video I saw wasn't too informative. No cooldowns or range or anything. 

Archived