Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

56 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Most of the events of ME:3 conclude in the year 2185, that's the same year that Andromeda Initiative launches. 

Im assuming the game will began 600 years from that point being that you are frozen for the journey. There will probably be an intro though starting at departure and the story picks up in 600 years. Unless there's a curveball and something goes awry.

Based on what we know, which isn't a ton, I suspect that the intro to the game will be some narration by Clancy Brown explaining the most important parts of the backstory. This will either be said over shots over the arc ship or a montage of events surrounding the departure. Then there's that unspecified (so far) incident that causes Ryder to wake up, and from then on everyone's too busy trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it for any retrospection to the trilogy. And then the main plot kicks off.

I'd be fine with that, or something like that, too. Clean break and a fresh slate, but keeping a lot of the well-established world-building, sounds good to me.

On another note, I'm planning to probably upgrade my PC in the next month or so, and I'm kinda nervous since I've actually never upgraded before. Right now I've got:

GTX 750, Intel i5-4690K, 8 GB RAM, and 1 terabyte storage.

I want to upgrade the graphics card and add more storage, but I'm wondering if that CPU is still up to par? And if its not, does it even make sense to upgrade anymore or should I start from scratch?

And if I do upgrade, where in my PC can I find out what my power supply and cooling system are and how I can determine if they can handle it?

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

On another note, I'm planning to probably upgrade my PC in the next month or so, and I'm kinda nervous since I've actually never upgraded before. Right now I've got:

I want to upgrade the graphics card and add more storage, but I'm wondering if that CPU is still up to par? And if its not, does it even make sense to upgrade anymore or should I start from scratch?

And if I do upgrade, where in my PC can I find out what my power supply and cooling system are and how I can determine if they can handle it?

I would say that what you have now should still handle most games currently or soon to be out. Yes, the i5 is not as powerful as the i7, but at least it's 4th generation. I'm still playing with a 3rd generation i5. I recommend you get a SSD if you don't have one already. That's the upgrade I'm planning for the end of this year.

If you really want to get a new graphics card, make sure it will fit within your case. I got a GTX 970 last year, and it fit snugly in there. I can't go bigger with my current case and mother board.

It should say on the power supply what the max Watts are. Not sure about the cooling system.

I'm doing a Windows reinstall over the weekend. I'm impressed I got 5 years on this PC without one. I'm even more impressed that I'm still rocking near-maximum graphics on games like Mankind Divided on an i5 2500 and a second-hand 770.

Hopefully new PC time next year, as I need to step things up a bit. I'll probably repurpose the old PC as a media machine so I can watch Netflix a bit more easily (doing it through the Virgin TIVO is horrible).

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Your CPU is still very solid for gaming so I wouldn't worry about that for now. If you do decide to upgrade it you will more than likely need a new motherboard and new memory (DDR4 is gradually becoming standard so that's what the new motherboards are starting to require). CPU upgrades are an expensive pain in the ass because of this. 

A GPU upgrade would be a good idea, going from a 750 to one of the current gen cards is going to give you a massive performance boost. Either a 1060 or a 1070 depending on how much you want to spend. Both are great cards. Unless you want to go all out on a 1080 :P

Regarding more storage, make sure your motherboard has open SATA ports (it should, assuming you just have the one hard drive plugged in) and you have some spare SATA cables before you buy anything (otherwise you will need to buy a SATA cable as well but they're quite cheap). SSDs are pretty reasonably priced now and I can't recommend them highly enough. You'll never go back to hard drives. 

For the power supply, like Corvinus said you need to check what the wattage is. It'll probably say in big, bold type on the side of the actual unit. Then you can use a wattage calculator like this one to input your hardware and it'll tell you what the minimum wattage you'll need with the new parts is. I highly doubt you will need to upgrade your PSU. The current gen graphics cards are much more energy efficient than the old ones. Using that calculator and adding a SSD and changing the GPU to a 1080 the recommended wattage was 430. If you've got at least a 450W supply you're probably good to go for any upgrades. 

The only cooling system you likely have are whatever fans are in your case. The CPU has its own cooler and so will any graphics card you buy. Probably nothing to worry about, just get a hardware monitoring program to check your temperatures while you're under load. If you're hitting 80C+ on your CPU or GPU you might want to upgrade your cooling but it's probably not necessary. 

Been playing The Long Dark again, this time in the Pleasant Valley map, with only a vague recollection of where things were.

For the first two days I was wandering around the fields like a moron looking for the farmhouse and some better clothes. On the third I went towards the radio tower that can be seen in the distance hoping to get a rifle, but ended up completely sidetracked after taking a detour to avoid a bear, looted some cars and some corpses, and spent the night camped against a cliff. On the fourth I made it to the radio tower, picked up a rifle, returned to the farmhouse and began hunting the wildlife. On the fifth I set out exploring, got caught in a pretty bad storm quite far away from the farmhouse, at which point I tried heading back but realized I'd be cutting it too close. Was on the verge of trying to wait it out in an ice fishing hut, but luckily I found a prepper's bunker, where I've left it for now.

Fun game. Can't wait for story mode.

On 18/11/2016 at 7:04 PM, karaddin said:

Is it definitely crashed? Or does the screen just appear black? I just finished playing through it and when it first loads it loads all black in full screen, and if I alt tab out and go back in it does the same, but if I alt tab to desktop, right click kotor in the task bar and try to close it then it pops up with the "do you want to quit" and appears fine after that.  Running it in a window also fixes the problem, which you can do from the .ini file in the root of the kotor directory, change the "Fullscreen=0" to "=1" under graphics. Pretty sure the problem is caused by the "this is not optimum display resolution/colours" crap that pops up at the bottom right corner as soon as the game loads, and I'm sure you can disable that or tweak compatibility settings to fix it as well, but the right click ->close and playing in a window were such easy fixes I didn't bother.

Did not have this problem when playing KOTOR2 earlier this year btw.

Never had the problem with KOTOR when my PC was running Windows 7. And yes it is a crash. I go to load the save game then the game crashes as in it shuts down with a dialogue box saying the program has stopped working. With Windows 7 I did sometimes get freezes, mostly when initiating conversations, which was a pain as I had to do a ctrl-alt-delete shut down and reload from the last save. But that happened rarely.

I haven't tried running KOTOR2 yet and never booted it up when the PC had Windows 7.

Thanks for the advice. Here's my thinking:

I know my GPU can still mostly handle the latest games (albeit usually on medium or high instead of ultra), but I'm way short on memory. I regularly have to go through steam and delete local content of the games I haven't played in a while and that I don't think I'll be going back to anytime soon. I probably only have half my games installed right now, and i've only got around 100GB free anyway. So since I need to crack the PC open anyway to install more memory, I figured I might as well do some other stuff too. And it was just my birthday, so I figured I'd treat myself; get at least a 1060, maybe higher. But since I don't know PCs that well, I'm nervous about whether the rest of it can handle that powerful a graphics card or if I need a complete overhaul; and if I do, I was thinking it'd be easier to just start from scratch.

I have quite a bit of space in my casing, so I'm not worried about it all fitting in there; my concern is just making sure everything is compatible and can be easily connected to each other.

On 11/20/2016 at 8:35 AM, Fez said:

Thanks for the advice. Here's my thinking:

I know my GPU can still mostly handle the latest games (albeit usually on medium or high instead of ultra), but I'm way short on memory. I regularly have to go through steam and delete local content of the games I haven't played in a while and that I don't think I'll be going back to anytime soon. I probably only have half my games installed right now, and i've only got around 100GB free anyway. So since I need to crack the PC open anyway to install more memory, I figured I might as well do some other stuff too. And it was just my birthday, so I figured I'd treat myself; get at least a 1060, maybe higher. But since I don't know PCs that well, I'm nervous about whether the rest of it can handle that powerful a graphics card or if I need a complete overhaul; and if I do, I was thinking it'd be easier to just start from scratch.

I have quite a bit of space in my casing, so I'm not worried about it all fitting in there; my concern is just making sure everything is compatible and can be easily connected to each other.

Your CPU (and therefore your motherboard) are both only a couple of generations old, so I'd be extremely surprised if you run into any compatibility issues with a current gen graphics card. Everything will still be compatible. The only thing to check on is the wattage of your PSU and to make sure it has the right power cables to connect to the new GPU. (The 1060 uses a 6-pin connector, the 1070 uses 8-pin. Some cards might requite a second plug depending on the manufacturer).

Your CPU shouldn't have any bottleneck issues either. I don't think building from scratch is at all necessary but that's your call.  

If anything you can just buy the new GPU first and stick it in the current system, and if you run into any issues then you can buy the rest of the parts you need for a fresh build. 

Cool, thanks. I'll probably start digging into all that, and finding video guides on how to safely do all this, sometime after Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, in actual gaming, I'm about 50 hours into Witcher 3 and I just reached Skellige, so I guess I'm in it for the long haul (although I have no plans to try to get anywhere near 100%). The game's grown on me a lot, but I'm also really frustrated by it because I could easily see how I could consider this one of the greatest RPGs of all time (which it seems like a lot of people do) but it misses the mark in too many places for me. Still, the world building is fantastic, and I'm having fun just going through and experiencing it.

No problem :)

Being pretty bored with other games right now I decided to say fuck it and pick up Dishonored 2 despite the horrible things I'd been hearing about the PC version annnd...yeah, the performance is dog shit. This is after the Nvidia driver update that added SLI compatibility and the initial patch to the game that apparently fixed the horrible mouse control issues and whatnot, so it would have been even worse before. There's supposed to be a larger performance patch coming later this week so we'll see what happens. 

As it stands I'm mostly managing 60fps on medium-high settings at 1440, but every couple of minutes I'll get a massive drop down to single digits which basically results in the game freezing for a couple seconds. In bigger, outdoor areas I'm getting 45-50fps and lowering the graphics settings further doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. Optimized. Thankfully I'm a dirty save scummer when it comes to stealth games so the occasional freezes are little more than an annoyance so far. If they cause me to screw something up I've always got a quicksave to jump back to. 

The actual game is quite good though. There's some horrendous pacing at the very beginning (but the first game had the same problem to a lesser extent) but it improves after that, some of the voice acting is pretty poor, and the gameplay is pretty much the same as the first game with some improvements. NEW NON-LETHAL GADGETS being the most welcome for me. Now I have howler darts & sting darts & stun mines instead of just sleep darts & coma chokes. Sting darts are my favorite new toy. 

Doing a no-kills, never spotted run with Corvo for my first game. I'll probably do a second playthrough as Emily and go full murder mode. 

Confirmation that The Last of Us movie at a standstill because of creative differences between Druckmann and Sony.

http://collider.com/the-last-of-us-movie-update-sam-raimi/#images

Disappointing. Sony should trust Druckmann and Raimi creatively. Though with video game adaptations generally having a hard time profiting they should keep a tight rein on budget, if it ever moves forward to production.

I blame the serious floppage of Ratchet and Clank giving Sony the jitters, even though Sony wasn't the financial backer of R&C.

Archived