Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

FF15 reviews are out. Seems pretty solid with 8s and 9s across the board.

Everything above 8/10 so far. That's quite impressive. OTOH FFXIII got really good reviews, but so many people ended up regarding it as a disappointment. Perhaps with the FFXIII experience of ever diminishing review scores across the 3 entries reviewers haven't given the game bonus points because it's FF. But I will wait for player reactions to see whether the reviews really stack up.

3 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Good!  It's going to be my first purchase for the (kids') PS4 that is forthcoming for Christmas.

On that note... the damnable thing arrived today, shipped in it's own box.  Luckily I arrived home about 60 seconds before the school bus and craftily had it put away before they saw it sitting in the FedEx "hidden" spot. Whew! That was close.

Did you future proof* and get the Pro or just the base PS4?

*3-5 years of future proofing only.

Finished up Tales From the Borderlands.  Just a fantastic Telltale game.  I'm by no means a big Borderlands fan (I barely played the first and spent maybe ten hours on the second), but I just genuinely enjoyed Telltale's take on the universe.  Handsome Jack is a fantastic bad guy, and I loved Patrick Warburton as your dick boss Vasquez.  The game had some of the best voice acting in any game I've ever played.  Probably the only comedic games that were outright better were Portal 2 (which is a damn playable Pixar movie...absolute genius writing) and maybe Curse of Monkey Island.  

It's rare that I find myself laughing out loud at a game's dialogue, but Tales From the Borderlands had plenty of those moments, along with a nice mix of comedy that was clever and comedy that was stupid (a fitting mix for the source material).  

I wouldn't recommend the game to everyone, but if you're a fan at all of Telltale's style of games, it's probably my second favorite to Wolf Among Us of Telltale's games so far.  The gameplay sucks, but that's true of basically all their games.  If you're playing a Telltale game, it's because you crave that "choose your own adventure" style they have gotten so good at.  And Tales From the Borderlands is definitely an awesome effort from them.

I'd give it an 8/10, with the two points being deducted mostly because the mouse input is fucking garbage.  It rarely causes reloads, but it's still obnoxious as all hell every time you need to move the mouse around to click something.

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Did you future proof* and get the Pro or just the base PS4?

*3-5 years of future proofing only.

I'm just now stepping into a current gen console.  :P So yeah, I got the base PS4. I generally run about a generation behind on all my technology purchases anyway (so no 4K TV to boot)... and really I was quite happy with the PS3 until developers stopped releasing new games on the platform.

Just finished up Tyranny. I liked it, though the ending felt quite rushed & incomplete. It also felt like it could've really benefited from some companion quests, which were inexplicably absent.

Overall I enjoyed the story far more than PoE, which never grabbed me enough to finish.

27 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Just finished up Tyranny. I liked it, though the ending felt quite rushed & incomplete. It also felt like it could've really benefited from some companion quests, which were inexplicably absent.

Overall I enjoyed the story far more than PoE, which never grabbed me enough to finish.

I felt the same way.  It's obvious they were planning on a sequel, but it just kind of left the game hanging.  And you're right that it felt rushed.  Gonna put the rest in spoilers.

Spoiler

I thought that Tunon just kind of decided to follow you very abruptly.  Like, I said a couple of sentences at my trial and all of a sudden he's ready to just say fuck it and take on Kyros with me?  

I felt the game wrapped up the story with Graven Ashe and Nerat pretty well, though.  It's just the finale with Tunon that felt out of place.

On 11/28/2016 at 8:00 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Everything above 8/10 so far. That's quite impressive. OTOH FFXIII got really good reviews, but so many people ended up regarding it as a disappointment. Perhaps with the FFXIII experience of ever diminishing review scores across the 3 entries reviewers haven't given the game bonus points because it's FF. But I will wait for player reactions to see whether the reviews really stack up.

Well, I picked it up and I am enjoying it so far.  The combat system feels different and I mean that in a good way.  I have it on active and I haven't tried the wait version of the system.  The teamwork and parrying seems a little clunky to me, but once I got the feel of it, it is kinda fun.  The game looks and sounds very nice as well.

ETA:  FF XIII you were held tight to some rails before open world became a thing.  This game, I have noticed, you are still riding some rails, but there are more divergent things to explore and do, such as side quests and whatnot.  Plus, it just looks pretty.

(This is on a PS4)

1 minute ago, l2 0 5 5 said:
On November 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Played about an hour of FF15. So far I enjoy it. Beautiful visuals, the main cast of characters are fun to interact with, and the combat is fun. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. Not sure why this has me quoting PQJ, btw??

26 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Played about an hour of FF15. So far I enjoy it. Beautiful visuals, the main cast of characters are fun to interact with, and the combat is fun. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. Not sure why this has me quoting PQJ, btw??

Freudian clicks?

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I felt the same way.  It's obvious they were planning on a sequel, but it just kind of left the game hanging.  And you're right that it felt rushed.  Gonna put the rest in spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought that Tunon just kind of decided to follow you very abruptly.  Like, I said a couple of sentences at my trial and all of a sudden he's ready to just say fuck it and take on Kyros with me?  

I felt the game wrapped up the story with Graven Ashe and Nerat pretty well, though.  It's just the finale with Tunon that felt out of place.

Spoiler

Ahh so that's how the Tunon situation resolves. I killed him just before the trial. Was assuming he was going to try to kill me after I'd killed Nerat & Ashe, so I decided to kill him & Bleden Mark first. 

7 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Hide contents

Ahh so that's how the Tunon situation resolves. I killed him just before the trial. Was assuming he was going to try to kill me after I'd killed Nerat & Ashe, so I decided to kill him & Bleden Mark first. 

Spoiler

I'd imagine you can also be found guilty in your trial, although I'm not sure how it changes things.  I really want to replay the game and befriend Bleden Mark, which I am pretty sure requires eventually killing Ashe and Nerat.

As for me, I got Ashe to bend the knee to him, met Bleden Mark in a clearing and had a friendly showdown, killed Nerat, and convinced Tunon to follow me based on my answers in the trial.

On 11/28/2016 at 7:16 AM, RumHam said:

I actually think may have heard of this game before, but I probably never would have bought it had I not read this. This is exactly the kind of immersive and emergent storytelling I love in games. I'm gonna give it a try sometime soon. 

Yeah I've really liked it. It's very simple, basically just trying to manage thirst, hunger, temperature and fatigue in a frozen wilderness, but the dwindling amount of supplies keeps you on your toes and the environment is always throwing things at you. The atmosphere is pretty great as well, very stark and bleak. 

8 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Well, I picked it up and I am enjoying it so far.  The combat system feels different and I mean that in a good way.  I have it on active and I haven't tried the wait version of the system.  The teamwork and parrying seems a little clunky to me, but once I got the feel of it, it is kinda fun.  The game looks and sounds very nice as well.

ETA:  FF XIII you were held tight to some rails before open world became a thing.  This game, I have noticed, you are still riding some rails, but there are more divergent things to explore and do, such as side quests and whatnot.  Plus, it just looks pretty.

(This is on a PS4)

8 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I grabbed the deluxe edition (because of course my weak willed self did...) and I watched the KingsGlaive movie before starting the game.  Then got about an hour into the game trying it out.

The movie was okay for what it was, but I have no clue how Sony/SE planned to make money on it.  :dunno:  It had some great animation to the point where at times I thought the faces were live action.  They even had it rated by the MPAA (PG-13 for constant fantasy violence) It had major names in the voice cast.  Sean Bean was King Regis and Lena Heady was Luna.  So I know it couldn't have been cheap to produce.  I never looked into it before seeing that it was an add in with the deluxe edition, was it digitally available before?  How were they distributing it?

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So I know it couldn't have been cheap to produce.  I never looked into it before seeing that it was an add in with the deluxe edition, was it digitally available before?  How were they distributing it?

It was released in theaters in Japan and a limited run in North America.  Also released on DVD/download back in October.  

Setting up the PS4 tonight while the boys are at their mom's... this is really freaking frustrating.  Even moreso than the PS3 was.  I know I'll only have to do most of this once, so I'll not rant more at this point in time.  This is why I'm not doing this on Christmas morning.  (And well, ya know, gotta do some QA testing :P )

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Setting up the PS4 tonight while the boys are at their moms'... this is really freaking frustrating.  Even moreso than the PS3 was.  I know I'll only have to do most of this once, so I'll not rant more at this point in time.  This is why I'm not doing this on Christmas morning.  (And well, ya know, gotta do some QA testing :P )

Always frustrating.  I hate that I have to make plans for when I can play a game for the first time too, knowing that an install can take 30-45 minutes.

On 11/28/2016 at 3:47 PM, Werthead said:

FF15 reviews are out. Seems pretty solid with 8s and 9s across the board.

Review scores seem high but the actual reviews bad. A reviewer that I know personally and trust says it is incredibly, comically bad. Be wary. Personally I wonder if the high numerical scores are a response to the flood of hate that reviewers notoriously receive when they review a fan favorite badly.

On 11/28/2016 at 2:31 AM, Jon AS said:

If you feel overpowered as Soldier: 76 you're probably not getting targeted a lot, as he can dish out damage very well but has only 200 HP.

As with any character, there are plenty of things that you have to look out for as Soldier. Roadhog can hook him and kill him in one shot, D.Va can block his fire and hit im on the counter, Sombra can easily ambush him etc.

I usually don't have the problem of people not picking a decent mix of characters, but sometimes I end up with teams that don't seem to understand that it's not deathmatch, but that there's an actual objective to fight over.

The other part of this is that part of Overwatch is counter-picking. You should not expect to play the same hero an entire match. If someone on the other team is fucking you up, switch to a hero that counters theirs effectively.

Archived