Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

The expansion pack doesn't show up for me yet.  I can't buy new cards.

If you want the pre-order "50 packs for $50" deal you have to buy them through your browser now. On the battle.net store. Not sure why they did it that way this time. Once you do that and launch the game they'll show up in your packs tab but you can't open them yet of course. Should unlock in an hour or two I believe. 

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

wow, didn't know people actually did that! How much did that cost?

$50 with the new expansion discount they always do. 50 packs is normally like $65 I think. 

ETA: Apparently there's an issue with the new tri-class cards having a much higher "spawn rate" (for lack of a better term) than the other cards in the set, leading to people getting tons of duplicates. Would hold off on opening any packs until they sort this out. Blizzard tweeted that they're investigating. 

12 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Wow. Yeah I try to play hearthstone as cheaply as possibly. Its not that I can't afford the packs, more I baulk at such large sums for what is essentially an in app purchase. I hate that whole system and don't want to encourage it

There are people who spend far, far more than that.

In fact, it is said that free to play games are not kept afloat by the 90% of players, who either play for free or just spend 10-15$ here and there. They are kept afloat (and very profitable) by the 10% of players who spend hundreds, if not thousands to acquire everything they can.

15 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

There are people who spend far, far more than that.

In fact, it is said that free to play games are not kept afloat by the 90% of players, who either play for free or just spend 10-15$ here and there. They are kept afloat (and very profitable) by the 10% of players who spend hundreds, if not thousands to acquire everything they can.

Ugh, I couldn't do it. I just have such a moral problem with in app purchases, feels a bit like a drug dealer giving you the first taste for free, the rest you gotta pay for. You can go mental. I long for the good old days where when I was paying money for a game.. I was getting all of the game. Not 'heres a bit of the game, but if you actually want to be good at it, pay us a lot more money'. 

With Hearthstone I'd rather play for longer and earn those cards, or just not have a whole set and play with what I have. The meta is a bit weird though, you don't have to have all the Legendaries to be good, a midrange shaman with low cost cards or even very low cost aggro decks can take on huge control decks no problem.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Ugh, I couldn't do it. I just have such a moral problem with in app purchases, feels a bit like a drug dealer giving you the first taste for free, the rest you gotta pay for. You can go mental. I long for the good old days where when I was paying money for a game.. I was getting all of the game. Not 'heres a bit of the game, but if you actually want to be good at it, pay us a lot more money'. 

With Hearthstone I'd rather play for longer and earn those cards, or just not have a whole set and play with what I have. The meta is a bit weird though, you don't have to have all the Legendaries to be good, a midrange shaman with low cost cards or even very low cost aggro decks can take on huge control decks no problem.

It depends. Pay to win is bad but pay for cosmetics is good. Developers have to make money too.

Paying for any RNG sucks, and an RNG pay to unlock is all kinds of horrible, but Hearthstone is kind of like an online Magic: The Gathering card game, so it was already like this in the "good old days" anyway. 

34 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Yep, that's definitely a Mass Effect game. I'm ready for it. Not thrilled that DA:I's crafting system has shown up, but not unexpected (and that Game Informer article said there would be crafting of some sort). I also kinda hope the facial animations are going to get another pass, but I'm not a graphics whore so its not a huge deal to me.

Beyond that though, I'm all on board.

I wonder if all the classes will be as mobile in combat as what was shown, or the non-biotics will be stuck shooting from cover still.

33 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yep, that's definitely a Mass Effect game. I'm ready for it. Not thrilled that DA:I's crafting system has shown up, but not unexpected (and that Game Informer article said there would be crafting of some sort). I also kinda hope the facial animations are going to get another pass, but I'm not a graphics whore so its not a huge deal to me.

Beyond that though, I'm all on board.

I wonder if all the classes will be as mobile in combat as what was shown, or the non-biotics will be stuck shooting from cover still.

My understanding is that there are no classes anymore.  The entire tech tree is available to you and you can unlock what you want and respect as you need.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yep, can't wait for Andromeda. Currently doing a re-play of the other games with FemShep for the first time. And going renegade.

I was doing the same... and then the next quote hit me:

10 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Speaking of FF, does anyone know if XV is any good? I've looked at the reviews but I'm not sure if I can trust them.

I like it.  I've only played a few hours so far and I'm still getting used to the combat.  The game is gorgeous and has a lot of heart.  The opening screen says "A Final Fantasy for Fans and First Timers" and I can definitely see what they mean.

As I get deeper into the gameplay, I may either love it or hate it; it might be able to go either way.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Normally I don't like in-app purchases either, but it's a CCG. There's no other way to do it really. 

"The good old days" for this genre didn't include the ability to get cards for free at all :P 

Loaded up Just Cause 3 but even on Medium it's very choppy and not-really-playable on my rig. Odd because whilst not cutting edge any more, it's handled a lot of games like Mankind Divided on almost-maximum detail with no problems. I might have to put that on hold until I can get a new machine next year.

11 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Speaking of FF, does anyone know if XV is any good? I've looked at the reviews but I'm not sure if I can trust them.

I'm about 12 hours in and am enjoying it a lot.  Can't comment on the story since I've barely touched it.  So far it's been pretty basic, but being FF I expect it to get absurd later.

Exploration is good so far.  There world is big and beautiful and lots of fun to just run around and see things.  The side-quests do seem to mostly be the same "retrieve X item" or kill a few of a certain enemy.  There are a few interesting ones scattered in though.

Combat feels like a simplified Devil May Cry.  It's fast paced, stylish with a bit of cheese, and everything just looks awesome.  And it also has the weapon swapping and the warp function (which is sort like Nero's buster arm).  You don't have to learn combo strings since it's auto-attack.  But it isn't just hold attack to win.  There is some strategy involved, but it's in MP (stamina) management and positioning - going for back strikes, setting up for powerful attacks, or finding safe space to toss spells (there is friendly fire for magic).  If you were hoping for tactical turn based combat then you might not like it.  I happen to favor hack & slash games, so I really like it.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I like it.  I've only played a few hours so far and I'm still getting used to the combat.  The game is gorgeous and has a lot of heart.  The opening screen says "A Final Fantasy for Fans and First Timers" and I can definitely see what they mean.

As I get deeper into the gameplay, I may either love it or hate it; it might be able to go either way.

49 minutes ago, Muttering Bill said:

I'm about 12 hours in and am enjoying it a lot.  Can't comment on the story since I've barely touched it.  So far it's been pretty basic, but being FF I expect it to get absurd later.

Exploration is good so far.  There world is big and beautiful and lots of fun to just run around and see things.  The side-quests do seem to mostly be the same "retrieve X item" or kill a few of a certain enemy.  There are a few interesting ones scattered in though.

Combat feels like a simplified Devil May Cry.  It's fast paced, stylish with a bit of cheese, and everything just looks awesome.  And it also has the weapon swapping and the warp function (which is sort like Nero's buster arm).  You don't have to learn combo strings since it's auto-attack.  But it isn't just hold attack to win.  There is some strategy involved, but it's in MP (stamina) management and positioning - going for back strikes, setting up for powerful attacks, or finding safe space to toss spells (there is friendly fire for magic).  If you were hoping for tactical turn based combat then you might not like it.  I happen to favor hack & slash games, so I really like it.

I am also only a couple of hours in and I will echo it has a ton of heart and you can tell that the people who made this game really love the series (or at least very good at pretending too).  There was one fight when I one, one of the side NPCs did an air guitar song of the battle win song, it was funny and a good nod.  

The combat system is different, but, I agree with Bill it is tactical on another level and it is fun with a little frantic energy.  So far though it is a really properly made pepperoni pizza.  Just the right amount of cheese with all the other predictable and all together fine toppings.  The story hasn't taken a turn for the crazy yet, but I still expect that I will have to kill God somewhere down the line.

So for now, my boy band and I are having taking pictures, camping out, and hunting down random monsters.

Archived