Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

17 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Trying to play Gears of War 4 but the day 1 patch download keeps getting stuck at 387MB. Goddamn the Windows Store is fucking terrible. 

At this point I basically just boycott any game that doesn't release on Steam.  If the developer refuses to support the platform with by far the most gamers on it, then fuck them.  They don't get my money.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

At this point I basically just boycott any game that doesn't release on Steam.  If the developer refuses to support the platform with by far the most gamers on it, then fuck them.  They don't get my money.

This is my first experience with the Windows Store and I'm only bothering because I got the game for free. 

GoG is my first choice these days because no DRM but I'm happy to buy from Steam or Origin as well since both of those services actually work well. 

Anyway, after 5 or 6 attempts the patch finally downloaded. Now I'm trying to recover my Xbox account but it's looking like a lost cause because the email address associated with it is over 15 years old and was hacked multiple times over the years so I no longer have access to it. 

Good times :P

ETA: NVM upon launching the game it still tells me the update is required so I guess it just didn't work? GG Microsoft. 

16 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

This is my first experience with the Windows Store and I'm only bothering because I got the game for free. 

GoG is my first choice these days because no DRM but I'm happy to buy from Steam or Origin as well since both of those services actually work well. 

Anyway, after 5 or 6 attempts the patch finally downloaded. Now I'm trying to recover my Xbox account but it's looking like a lost cause because the email address associated with it is over 15 years old and was hacked multiple times over the years so I no longer have access to it. 

Good times :P

ETA: NVM upon launching the game it still tells me the update is required so I guess it just didn't work? GG Microsoft. 

I actually don't have a problem with GOG either, but I prefer Steam simply because it's nice to have all of my games in one spot.  I find I rarely play Origin games on my account simply because opening another program is just a hassle when I already have a billion Steam games I haven't played but bought on a whim during random sales.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'll try and ask about the ms stuff tomorrow @KiDisaster. I know a bunch of folks over at coalition.

I eventually got it, I appreciate it though. Some Microsoft/Coalition techs are already all over it on the Gears sub-reddit, it's a pretty wide spread problem apparently.

In order to make it work you have to make sure the game is not running (so if you try to install the update through the in game prompt it won't work), go to the store page for the game and click update there. Then you have to have at least 80GB free on your drive or it won't allow the update even though the update itself is only ~450MB because it thinks it has to install the entire game again or something. Thankfully I have the extra space, some people who can't free it up are shit out of luck for right now it seems. 

Anyway, I've got it running now and the good things I've heard about the PC port are holding up so far. Very solid performance. 

I grew to like Origin. Well, mostly their support. You guys tried to get support from Steam? Ye gods, it seems like a byzantine bureaucracy in there. Origin support is on point. Plus, while their ''deals'' are much worse than Steam's wallet-devouring sales, they gave me Red Altert 2 and its expansion free, which is nice.

So according to some folks over on Reddit the reason the Windows Store requires you to have 80GB free on your hard drive to install a 450MB update is that it (for some unfathomable reason) copies your entire game installation into a new folder, applies the update, and then deletes the old folder. 

Who thought this was a good/efficient way to do things? I don't understand how the company that designed the operating system could implement something this poorly in their own software. 

---

Windows Store nonsense aside, the PC port of Gears 4 is one of the best I have ever played. There are SO. MANY. OPTIONS and more importantly there are great descriptions of what each option does and it tells you how much each one will impact your CPU, GPU and/or VRAM and whether the impact will be minor, moderate or major so it's easy to tell which settings to knock down a notch or two if your FPS is too low for your liking. Built in benchmarking tool for testing, you don't have to relaunch the game every time you change a setting (seriously, games that do this are annoying as hell) and it's very well optimized. Only minor nitpick is there's no SLI support at all and I actually get a slight performance boost if I disable my second card. But this apparently a known issue and they're looking into it so we'll see. Lack of SLI support is hardly a unique issue to this game anyway. I don't think I'll ever go dual cards again. 

As for the game itself it's...well, it's Gears of War :P Only I'm killing robots instead of monster things (so far anyway). Apparently there's some kind of story too. 

Wrapping up what's gonna be a 17 hour shift, I've decided I'm gonna buy the DA:I DLC whenever I wake up from my coma. Is there any unique armors? I'm always a bit disappointed by Dragon Age games in that department because there's lots of good looking outfits but Hawke's is the only one that makes me excited to see my character running around. I'll be restarting as a mage if it matters.

38 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Wrapping up what's gonna be a 17 hour shift, I've decided I'm gonna buy the DA:I DLC whenever I wake up from my coma. Is there any unique armors? I'm always a bit disappointed by Dragon Age games in that department because there's lots of good looking outfits but Hawke's is the only one that makes me excited to see my character running around. I'll be restarting as a mage if it matters.

There are a number of unique armours in the DLCs. One each in JoH and Trespasser, two more in The Descent. There are also schematics for all of these.

Whether they're goog looking is at least partly a matter of taste.:P

10 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

There are a number of unique armours in the DLCs. One each in JoH and Trespasser, two more in The Descent. There are also schematics for all of these.

Whether they're goog looking is at least partly a matter of taste.:P

Oh boy... thanks. Are there any special ones in the main game I might have missed? I've tried googling but I get weird results.

The update system for gow is an artifact of how you have to do things on Xbox for a certain type of install. I agree that it should have been done better.

And I'm really happy you like the windows port. I was part of the team that made testing it possible for them. 

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh boy... thanks. Are there any special ones in the main game I might have missed? I've tried googling but I get weird results.

The wiki has full lists of all armour and armour schematics in the game. It's kind of hard for me to tell you which ones you specifically missed.;)

For every tier of armour there are the three generic suits of armour (coat, mail, armour) which change only very little from tier to tier and can be worn by any character, then there are some others that tend to have restrictions. either by class or race.

There are also tier 3 crafting materials that allow you to craft armours that don't have class restrictions, but sometimes the look of the armour still changes depending on the class.

I got a coupon for 75% off Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition, I guess they're giving them to everyone who owns the original game. 

If anyone's interested and hasn't played the game yet I think I can gift the coupon to you. It's a fantastic game. 

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The update system for gow is an artifact of how you have to do things on Xbox for a certain type of install. I agree that it should have been done better.

And I'm really happy you like the windows port. I was part of the team that made testing it possible for them. 

I see. Hopefully they fix it soon. 

In that case, nice work! :) 

10 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I got a coupon for 75% off Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition, I guess they're giving them to everyone who owns the original game. 

If anyone's interested and hasn't played the game yet I think I can gift the coupon to you. It's a fantastic game. 

Me! Me! Pick me! :D 

Archived