Hurricane Matt

Ser Scot A Ellison

Well, they have just announced schools in our area will be closed for the next three days to accommodate evacuees from the coast.  The Weather Channel is predicting sustained winds of up 30 MPH here in Columbia.  

What is it about the first week in October that makes for interesting weather events around here.  Thjs is the first anniversary of the severe flooding we had last year.

Everyone in the path of this storm stay safe.

Please forgive me, but I find it interesting that schools in SC are closing tomorrow, while here in S. Florida it is currently business as usual.  As Matthew is not even going to get close to Florida until Thursday, why would SC close schools for Wednesday?  Also down here, school buses are rated to 40-45 mph winds.  30 mph is just a storm.

This reminds me of back when I lived in Charlotte, and schools issued a closing on a Sunday for Monday when there was a 10% chance we would have less than 1 inch of snow overnight.  Woke up that Monday morning, no snow, and actually the temp didn't dip below 40.

I don't mean to be insulting, so please don't take this comment this way.  But honestly evacuating 3-4 days in advance just doesn't seem reasonable.  Yes keep an eye on the storm.  Yes  1-2 days ahead of time, secure outside objects that could go airborne.  But evacuate - no.

Seriously, the storms path is not that predictable this far in advance, so why take extreme action to avoid?

ive been through enough storms that were a "dead hit" on my towns 12-48 hours out, where the storm made a last minute turn, and we barely got a tropical rainstorm.

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Battening down the hatches here in South Florida. My area is right in the currently projected path. Been through worse storms back home but it's been a long time. Hoping for a late turn. 

A friend of mine is in Miami and she says getting gasoline and water is like going to the Thunderdome. 

8 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A friend of mine is in Miami and she says getting gasoline and water is like going to the Thunderdome. 

The lines around me are down the street for gas. Haven't seen anything like this in the US before. I'm glad I stocked up on water in advance, apparently all the grocery stores are cleaned out now. 

Funny it's that bad in Miami though. The storm is supposed to hit further north, Miami shouldn't be too bad. Of course that's what Andrew was supposed to do too I think, and then it turned at the last minute and devastated Miami. So it's good they're preparing. 

5 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

The lines around me are down the street for gas. Haven't seen anything like this in the US before. I'm glad I stocked up on water in advance, apparently all the grocery stores are cleaned out now. 

Funny it's that bad in Miami though. The storm is supposed to hit further north, Miami shouldn't be too bad. Of course that's what Andrew was supposed to do too I think, and then it turned at the last minute and devastated Miami. So it's good they're preparing. 

Where are you?

My sister is West Palm Beach and she's going to be staying at the hospital she works in.

22 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Where are you?

My sister is West Palm Beach and she's going to be staying at the hospital she works in.

I'm in Deerfield Beach. Right in the current path. I'm going to be keeping an eye on it tomorrow and if it's looking bad I might go down to my aunts place for a couple days. She's in Davie and it shouldn't be too bad there hopefully. 

The roads are a total mess I guess alot of people took the governors warning seriously but I'm always of a mind that trying a mass evacuation will cause more problems then it solves.  I've lived through these things before and am really glad I don't work in a grocery store right now it will be a rough few days.  Water, bread and diapers are always the firs things to go.  We have everything we need my mother's old boyfriend is a goddamn idiot and he is still making plans to travel down on friday Lord knows what he is going to do in a town where all the bars are closed.  

Stay safe everyone.   

15 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I'm in Deerfield Beach. Right in the current path. I'm going to be keeping an eye on it tomorrow and if it's looking bad I might go down to my aunts place for a couple days. She's in Davie and it shouldn't be too bad there hopefully. 

My parents are in Boca, right across the canal. Please stay safe. 

My dad requires 24/7 oxygen and if the power goes out I don't know what's going to happen. I was down there in mid-September and the power went out during a rainstorm. No battery backup on the machine, batteries not charged on the portable...and my stepmother sold the generator because you guys hadn't had a hurricane in so long. :angry2: I was Not Happy. I'm thinking they should go to a shelter for a couple of days or even a hospital. 

6 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

My parents are in Boca, right across the canal. Please stay safe. 

My dad requires 24/7 oxygen and if the power goes out I don't know what's going to happen. I was down there in mid-September and the power went out during a rainstorm. No battery backup on the machine, batteries not charged on the portable...and my stepmother sold the generator because you guys hadn't had a hurricane in so long. :angry2: I was Not Happy. I'm thinking they should go to a shelter for a couple of days or even a hospital. 

In pretty much the same situation with my Mom.  Good luck to your family.

On 10/4/2016 at 1:14 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What is it about the first week in October that makes for interesting weather events around here.  Thjs is the first anniversary of the severe flooding we had last year.

Really?

Archived