"Kill the boy and let the man be born"

TheKrakenAndTheWolf

Ok, I know it might be far-fetched but I was wondering if it was related with the AA prophecy. We know that in order to create the Lightbringer, Azor Ahai sacrificed Nissa Nissa. If we assume that Jon is AA reborn, his Nissa Nissa would be Arya, since she's the person that he loves the most.
Also, in the chapters of GOT when Arya is having her water dancing lessons with Syrio, he says to her "Boy, girl, You are a sword, that is all.".

What if "Kill the boy and let the man be born" is not just a saying about Jon being mature, but it also foreshadows future events from TWOW?

Thoughts about that?

**In my opinion, Arya is more qualified than Ygritte to be his Nissa Nissa, if Jon is indeed AA. Jon indeed, loved Ygritte, but for Arya he was ready to break his vows to the Night's Watch, before ending up getting stabbed.

4 hours ago, TheKrakenAndTheWolf said:

Ok, I know it might be far-fetched but I was wondering if it was related with the AA prophecy. We know that in order to create the Lightbringer, Azor Ahai sacrificed Nissa Nissa. If we assume that Jon is AA reborn, his Nissa Nissa would be Arya, since she's the person that he loves the most.
Also, in the chapters of GOT when Arya is having her water dancing lessons with Syrio, he says to her "Boy, girl, You are a sword, that is all.".

What if "Kill the boy and let the man be born" is not just a saying about Jon being mature, but it also foreshadows future events from TWOW?

Thoughts about that?

**In my opinion, Arya is more qualified than Ygritte to be his Nissa Nissa, if Jon is indeed AA. Jon indeed, loved Ygritte, but for Arya he was ready to break his vows to the Night's Watch, before ending up getting stabbed.

AA is probably not just going to be one person. Sure, Jon might be one among many on who the prophecy is applicable by the end, but so will Dany be, and possibly Jaime, and Davos, and Bran, and Brienne, and Pate, etc.

In my opinion, "Kill the boy and let the man be born" is more foreshadowing to what's happening to Jon right now. The 'boy' Jon Snow has just been killed, and when he is resurrected, he will be different and thus the 'man' Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen/Whatevs will be born.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

In my opinion, "Kill the boy and let the man be born" is more foreshadowing to what's happening to Jon right now. The 'boy' Jon Snow has just been killed, and when he is resurrected, he will be different and thus the 'man' Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen/Whatevs will be born.

Of course this could be the case, but I was wondering if it also meant something else at the same time. 

1 minute ago, TheKrakenAndTheWolf said:

Of course this could be the case, but I was wondering if it also meant something else at the same time. 

To answer that, I don't think Jon is going to kill Arya, but she is called 'boy' a lot (so great find there). I don't really get what 'man' will be born though. Azor Ahai? As I said, I don't think the prophecy of AA is that important and that a lot of characters can be interpreted to have been AA by the end of the books, with none of them being 'the' hero who saved Westeros from the Others, though they will have had a role.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

To answer that, I don't think Jon is going to kill Arya, but she is called 'boy' a lot (so great find there). I don't really get what 'man' will be born though. Azor Ahai? As I said, I don't think the prophecy of AA is that important and that a lot of characters can be interpreted to have been AA by the end of the books, with none of them being 'the' hero who saved Westeros from the Others, though they will have had a role.

The prophecy of AA could be "false" or not so important, I totally agree with you on this. Since we know from the AWOIAF book that the legend of AA is told by different religions and in different areas, using many names for the one hero that saves the day, I hardly believe there will be one hero.
My actual point is -sorry,if I didn't make it clear enough in my original post-, that if the AA prophecy is credible and Jon is AA reborn, Arya has to die, since she is the dearest person to him.

1 minute ago, TheKrakenAndTheWolf said:

The prophecy of AA could be "false" or not so important, I totally agree with you on this. Since we know from the AWOIAF book that the legend of AA is told by different religions and in different areas, using many names for the one hero that saves the day, I hardly believe there will be one hero.
My actual point is -sorry,if I didn't make it clear enough in my original post-, that if the AA prophecy is credible and Jon is AA reborn, Arya has to die, since she is the dearest person to him.

I'd say you were pretty clear. But Nissa Nissa has nothing to do with Azor Ahai's birth or rebirth, I'd say. Nissa Nissa is linked to Lightbringer. Azor Ahai is not born because of her death, Lightbringer is forged because of it. So I don't think Arya would have to die for Jon to be (a version of) AA, unless he forges Lightbringer (maybe). At the very least, the quote "Kill the boy and let the man be born" doesn't seem to fit.

Just now, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

I'd say you were pretty clear. But Nissa Nissa has nothing to do with Azor Ahai's birth or rebirth, I'd say. Nissa Nissa is linked to Lightbringer. Azor Ahai is not born because of her death, Lightbringer is forged because of it. So I don't think Arya would have to die for Jon to be (a version of) AA, unless he forges Lightbringer (maybe). At the very least, the quote "Kill the boy and let the man be born" doesn't seem to fit.

Hmm.. I will have to look it up more, but I believe you are right. :)

14 hours ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

This. Though I think Jon is either dead dead or not dead at all. Being stabbed a couple of times should qualify as killing the boy in a metaphorical sense. No need for him to be literally dead.

I’m reconstructing the original argument:

1. Syrio calls Arya a boy once
  2. Aemon tells Jon he has to kill the boy and let the man be born
  • Conclusion: Jon has to kill Arya

What?

I don’t think there needs to be a Nissa Nissa + I sincerely hope the next two-four books won’t be about a bunch of people killing their loved ones in order to fulfill some prophecy.

I never thought this to be taken literal.If I recall correctly, Maester Aemon says the words to Lord Commander Jon Snow when asked for advice for a difficult decision. And Maester Aemon also puts it into the context, that he had said this to Aegon the Unlikely too, when he became King.

It just means: If you want to lead, you cannot allow yourself to have the same feelings guide you (compassion, doubt etc.) such as a child.

I'm not sure about prophesy.  On the surface it's clear that Aemon and Jeor discusses Jon at some point and came to the shared conclusion that Jon would be a great asset to the Watch if he ever grew up.  The Aemon quote is likely related to Jeor asking "Are you a man of the Night's Watch, or just a bastard boy playing at war?"

11 hours ago, Roose on the Loose said:

On the surface it's clear that Aemon and Jeor discusses Jon at some point and came to the shared conclusion that Jon would be a great asset to the Watch if he ever grew up.  

Why would anyone doubt that an intelligent 15-year-old boy would eventually grow up (provided he survived long enough)? The NW is a place where you can't remain a child for long anyway.

When Jon became LC,  he needed to further speed up the process,  of course. "Killing the boy" is a metaphore for an abrupt change. Normally,  the boy gradually grows into a man,  but now there is no time for the natural way, the boy must be "killed" to give way to the man abruptly,  overnight. 

Archived