Favorite Meal?

The Lord Bastard

The food that the characters eat in ASOIAF is often used as a storytelling device. 

For example, when Theon is captive underneath the Dreadfort, he eats a rat living and appreciates it massively. That is the first we hear of Theon since ACOK, and we are immediately made aware that things have taken a nose-dive for him. 

The bore that kills Robert is cooked and Cersei remarks that "nothing had ever tasted so good." Definitely sums up her opinion of her marriage to Robert. 

Illyrio's constant feasting in the Tyrion chapters is good characterization. We're to think this character is nothing but greedy, glutinous and clearly out for no one but himself. 

Jojen's dream about Bran and the Frey wards and the respective dishes that were served to them. 

The Tyrell's using lemon cakes to manipulate Sansa Stark. 

The importance of food in ASOIAF cannot be overstated. The importance of a good meal is the main reason why Lord Davos became Lord Davos. There are countless examples of how food has massive martial and political importance in the story.

My favorite though...

I have to say I salivate whenever someone's digging into a capon. Makes me want to get some chicken breast and stir fry it up with some mad sauces and vegetables. Yes yes. 

On 10/5/2016 at 9:31 AM, Land's End said:

Why is everything cooked with almond Milk? Vegan invasion in Westeros?

In Medieval Europe almond milk was considered more luxuriant than dairy milk. 

I would be happy to sit table above the salt in any of the Great Houses of Westeros.  I find GRRM's food descriptions quite enticing for the most part, especially at the tables of the Great Lords.  And some Arbor Gold or some Dornish Red to accompany the meal would be a perfect compliment.

Archived