Favourite bastard and why?

theblackdragonI

Ser Duncan the Tall, because he is probably a bastard and he rocks. He is everything a hero should be and I love the Dunk and Egg books. Myrcella Baratheon..she is a bastard, no? She seems intelligent and kind...too bad that both her and Tommen probably have grisley fates awaiting them, they really are sweet kids.

14 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

Not a lot of Bittersteel fans here I see!

I completely forgot about the Velaryon twins, they are definitely two of my favourite characters in the series.

Bittersteel is cool and all, but on the Blackfyre side my favourite was Daemon himself. I myself don't understand the Bloodraven hype. I like the character and all but I was much more invested in Daemon and I sympathized with him more than I did Daeron II, and I wasn't happy when Bloodraven killed Daemon while he was offering Gwayne Corbray a hand up.

And yes both Alyn and Addam Velaryon are badass characters, and are two of my favourites. I think the only reason I prefer Addam is just how tragic his story arc is....that he has a variation of my own name doesn't hurt, either.

17 hours ago, Land's End said:

For ASoIaF Jon Snow, Brynden Rivers and maybe Gendry. Though I'm confused about who actually qualifies as a bastard. In the Mystery Knight only children who are noble on both side are called bastard-born.

So if this is true Gendry is baseborn and Jon has no surname if his mother is the fisherwoman. Both are bastards anyway, but baseborn bastards  (?!)

I do not think that is quite how it works. One can be a bastard if one or both parents are noble. The distinction is bastard-born vs baseborn. If only those whose parents were both noble qualify to have the bastard surname (Sand, Snow, Flowers, Rivers, etc.) there would be significantly fewer with those name running around.

Lets take for instance

Ramsay. Father (Roose Bolton, noble), Mother (miller's wife). Called Ramsay Snow

Obara. Father (Oberyn Martell, noble), Mother (Oldtown prostitute). Called Obara Sand

I could do this for a while

Commoners do get married, though there are plenty of children born out of wedlock too among the commoners. They do not get surnames.

And my favorite illegitimate is Jon Snow. Even if he is not in fact a bastard, he still has been called Snow for 16-17 years.

Archived