US Elections 2016: The END IS NEAR

Kalbear

22 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

After his charming "Mexican rapists" rant, how on Earth could his "grab them by the pussy" life philosophy be even mildly surprising?".

I agree that both his comments regarding people of Mexican descent and women are both truly deplorable. 

But, as a political matter, white women do tend to lean Republican. His recent statements are likely to be very damaging with that demographic. And he needs them, if he is to have any chance.

Don't get me wrong. His statements are deplorable, whether they have political impact or not. But, there is a strong possibly it will really damage him politically.

And yes, there is some racism in this country. I know its shocking (being a smart ass here). But, this election has largely been about tribalism, unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I'm coming late to the party just to say that the United States may be the most incomprehensible country in the world.

Donald Trump's entire run was about being the most monumental asshole in the room. To my surprise, half the country seemed to love that. But now, suddenly, that old recording makes a difference? Why? Is this really that much worse than the shit he's been saying for the record? After his charming "Mexican rapists" rant, how on Earth could his "grab them by the pussy" life philosophy be even mildly surprising?

The "Dear Japan" memes are by now deprecated, and should be upgraded to "Seriously, USA?".

I don't think there's a person left on the planet who doesn't know full well he's had plenty of conversation like this in private. But it offers a chance to 'gracefully' bow out of support for him, a platform at which to depart this crazy train. Yes, the moral outrage is all faked, but the important thing is it's happened. 

27 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I'm coming late to the party just to say that the United States may be the most incomprehensible country in the world.

Donald Trump's entire run was about being the most monumental asshole in the room. To my surprise, half the country seemed to love that. But now, suddenly, that old recording makes a difference? Why? Is this really that much worse than the shit he's been saying for the record? After his charming "Mexican rapists" rant, how on Earth could his "grab them by the pussy" life philosophy be even mildly surprising?

The "Dear Japan" memes are by now deprecated, and should be upgraded to "Seriously, USA?".

Ask the moraly bankrupt shitheels who supported him before.  There are a few to be found here.

I don't think Trump can feasibly drop out of the debate at this point unless he drops out, which he claims he's not doing. Trump has obviously said lots of things that weren't true, so who knows, he could still drop out.

I still wonder what happens if he does. If he doesn't quit, he's the GOP nominee, full stop. The party can't set him aside and disregard the primary selection of their voters, not according to their own rules. Not that they don't have a mechanism for changing the rules, but I do not think they can do it in four weeks, and if they did it would shatter their party.

If he quits, though, what's the procedure? My understanding is that Pence doesn't automatically move up the ticket. Are they even allowed to submit another name, even if it's Pence or they manage to somehow get a recognized new selection? We are well past the filing deadline.

I can't even imagine the fireworks should there be some move to modify the rules to allow a new selection in violation of existing deadlines. You can't allow that, you just can't. Does Clinton run against an empty slot? Is Trump's name still on the ballot even if he drops out? What happens if he somehow wins after dropping out?

Alternative thought experiment, though I think it's very unlikely: What if  Pence quits?

26 minutes ago, Denvek said:

John McCain has unendorsed.

“But Donald Trump’s behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy.

McCain calls Trump out on his boasting of sexual assaults, good for you Sen. McCain that you showed some backbone and didn't call it 'lewd comments'.

4 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

If Trump doesn't turn up to the debate, doesn't that make it basically 90 minutes of free airtime for Clinton?

He'd probably be better off not showing up.

But, I hope he does, so he can take another beatin.

4 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I don't think Trump can feasibly drop out of the debate at this point unless he drops out, which he claims he's not doing. Trump has obviously said lots of things that weren't true, so who knows, he could still drop out.

I still wonder what happens if he does. If he doesn't quit, he's the GOP nominee, full stop. The party can't set him aside and disregard the primary selection of their voters, not according to their own rules. Not that they don't have a mechanism for changing the rules, but I do not think they can do it in four weeks, and if they did it would shatter their party.

If he quits, though, what's the procedure? My understanding is that Pence doesn't automatically move up the ticket. Are they even allowed to submit another name, even if it's Pence or they manage to somehow get a recognized new selection? We are well past the filing deadline.

I can't even imagine the fireworks should there be some move to modify the rules to allow a new selection in violation of existing deadlines. You can't allow that, you just can't. Does Clinton run against an empty slot? Is Trump's name still on the ballot even if he drops out? What happens if he somehow wins after dropping out?

Alternative thought experiment, though I think it's very unlikely: What if  Pence quits?

People have already been voting so there's really nothing that can be done.  I think it might be up to the electoral college at this point to choose someone else if Trump drops out..  

Are the members of the electoral college legally allowed to do so? I thought they were bound to whoever wins their state.

Anyhow. At this point the election season reminds me a bit of an advent calendar. Instead of chocolate you get some other brown substance. I am somewhat anxious to know what's behind the next door. The general election is still some days away, so there are some doors left to open.

You're all wrong:

Article 2, blah bitty blah:

in the event that a party's Presidential nominee all through his own willpower or misfortune of nature be removed from the Party ballot, the members of the Senate shall not within two weeks time fail to elect a suitable replacement by a fair and suitable karaoke tournament, the tourney itself being both well regulated and publicly funded.

3 hours ago, LongRider said:

Agreed, I'm sure he's underestimated her, even tho his bank of experienced Hilary haters is quite deep.

It's like... If you think women are less than men, you might be surprised when they out-think and out-work you and turn you into a pinata on national television?

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Hillary is just smarter than Trump. She is also more detailed oriented and better prepared. I too think if he tries to go after Bill, he is going to get clobbered. That and him trying to go after Bill to deflect his own issues isn't going to play well, I think.

If he tries to bring up Bill's sins in the debate, I am sure she's already got a set response, with ads and accompanying newspaper and magazine articles to back it up. And I'm sure his own inevitably awful response in the debate will be edited into new material. He is a perpetual motion machine of dim viciousness.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

American presidential elections are kabuki theater. Ritualized motions and scripted stories where the audience knows perfectly well how they are supposed to react to each line. Trump doesn't dance or sing, he stomps and bellows. He got where he is because 30-40 percent of the audience hates the normal play so much they'll watch anything. But even the others who think the play sucks don't like it when one of the actors shits on stage and threatens to grope the women in the audience.

Schwarzenegger is done

Condoleezza Rice: 'Enough! Donald Trump should not be President. He should withdraw. As a Republican, I hope to support someone who has the dignity and stature to run for the highest office in the greatest democracy on earth.'

It's on her Facebook not sure how to link the individual post. https://www.facebook.com/condoleezzarice/

It certainly seems that for many Republican politicians, Trump's real sin is that he disagrees with them about the proportion of Madonnas to whores. And it says much about them that they could live with a candidate who said vile things about Mexicans but not one who says crude things about women.

If he hadn't been so crude about it, only vile, I think most of them could still have lived with it.

The Trump campaign has always been about treating other human beings with disrespect. But now it's harder to deny that's the kind of man he is.

Archived