The Accountant (October 2016)

helenedwards

Ben Affleck stars as the Accountant of the title with a sideline in assassinations. This boasts a great cast featuring Anna Kendrick, J K Simmons, Jon Bernthal, Jeffrey Tambor and John Lithgow. Personally, the trailer didn't do that much for me as Affleck seems miscast, and it looks a step down from Argo and The Town. We'll see... 

Relax more:  fight song lyrics, into you lyrics, side to side lyrics . Good fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I had heard some bad reviews but decided to watch anyway. There are two things that stood out

Spoiler

The fact that the brother is the lead hit man of the opposing group was way too obvious.

And one thing that really needed more explaining in order to believe it

Spoiler

How the girl he met at the school for one hour of one day ends up being his "guide" for lack of a better term. There is nothing mentioned about those two ever seeing each other again, so how in the world are we supposed to buy that? Kind of let the rest of the movie down.

But I will say I did find this a good watch. It was nice to see someone who is challenged as the star of an action movie.

21 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Watched this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I had heard some bad reviews but decided to watch anyway. There are two things that stood out

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that the brother is the lead hit man of the opposing group was way too obvious.

And one thing that really needed more explaining in order to believe it

Hide contents

How the girl he met at the school for one hour of one day ends up being his "guide" for lack of a better term. There is nothing mentioned about those two ever seeing each other again, so how in the world are we supposed to buy that? Kind of let the rest of the movie down.

But I will say I did find this a good watch. It was nice to see someone who is challenged as the star of an action movie.

Agreed with your first comment. Not sure I understand your second comment.

When did he meet the girl at the school? I thought it was just another kid visiting and saw the picture of them together? Maybe I missed that part. Even if I didn't, think we can just infer that because he knows her, he has a relationship we don't know about. Clearly the school is meaningful to Affleck's character given all the money he donates to them.

46 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Agreed with your first comment. Not sure I understand your second comment.

Hide contents

When did he meet the girl at the school? I thought it was just another kid visiting and saw the picture of them together? Maybe I missed that part. Even if I didn't, think we can just infer that because he knows her, he has a relationship we don't know about. Clearly the school is meaningful to Affleck's character given all the money he donates to them.

Spoiler

He met the girl on his first visit to the school, she was the one who handed him the missing puzzle piece he was freaking out about, so she was asssting him from the beginning.   I agree though, that him knowing her well enough to make her his girl Friday isn't explained.  The only way I can think it works is his father relented and sent him to the school later.   The last thing his wife said to him when she left, is that they had found a place that could help their son and the Colonel had turned it down, maybe her leaving him was enough for him to reconsider sending his son there.

15 hours ago, Leofric said:
  Hide contents

He met the girl on his first visit to the school, she was the one who handed him the missing puzzle piece he was freaking out about, so she was asssting him from the beginning.   I agree though, that him knowing her well enough to make her his girl Friday isn't explained.  The only way I can think it works is his father relented and sent him to the school later.   The last thing his wife said to him when she left, is that they had found a place that could help their son and the Colonel had turned it down, maybe her leaving him was enough for him to reconsider sending his son there.

Spoiler

Except that we never see him there. Instead we see his father training him in his own way all around the world. As he said, he needs to be exposed to more of what bothers him, not less. We see him as an adult with the loud noise and strobe light teaching himself to deal with it.

• 1 month later...

Just watched this film. Very good.

Just a fine film worth seeing. Agreed that the identity of the lead hit man is way too obvious, but that is the only nitpick.

Other than that a fine performance by Affleck and the very lovely Anna Kendrick, a great way to spend 2 hours.

I think that's really down to promotion and the name, people are not generally interested in seeing a film about accountants, even if they realize that it probably won't be about an accountant.

It's the sort of film that you need to be a bit more invested in than your average movie goer to seek out and see.

Archived