NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I agree it is ridiculous that the Browns keep finding themselves in this position.  And if there is an elite prospect at qb, it wouldn't shock me if the Browns traded down again.  Draft capital and all that. 

I have often wondered what would happen if you had an NFL team that was only allowed to spend its 1st and 2nd round picks on front 7 defensive players and O linemen.  Somehow, I think that team could function just fine.  It might be tough filling some holes in the secondary and definitely at QB, but their O and D lines would be SOLID, and with that kind of foundation, everybody else is going to be able to develop.

If that team has a good coaching staff and good talent evaluation, I think that works just damn fine.  Basically, Cowboys O-line, Morris as the RB, Cowboys receivers without Bryant (and we're shortselling there, can't have them be perfect evaluators), Prescott/Cousins/Romo/Flacco/Wilson at QB, the rams D-line, the Cowboys linebackers, and the Cowboys secondary with a JAG Safety and Claiborne replacement is a playoff contender. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

But the risk is the Browns have done that before. In 2007 they took generational talent Joe Thomas #3 and then Brady Quinn at #22. In 2012 they took can't miss Trent Richardson #3 and Brandon Weeden at #22. And in 2014 they took Justin Gilbert #9 and Johnny Manziel....#22.

In general, I agree with the strategy you're talking about, but for the Browns if there's a legit, elite QB prospect they feel has a great chance to be a franchise guy...just take him. The Joe Thomas's of the world can only do so much and surethings to a surprising extent just aren't (i.e.: Trent Richardson, Jadaveon Clowney, Aaron Curry etc.) 

Well, if there is a generational QB prospect sitting at the top of the draft, I agree that you go with them.  That wasn't the case this year, and it's not looking to be the case in 2017 either.

And the problem wasn't the Browns drafting a QB later in the draft.  It was them drafting the wrong QB later in the draft.  Do you know who went after Manziel?  Carr and Bridgewater, both guys I and the majority of sane Browns fans wanted over Manziel.  The problem in the past has been talent evaluation, not drafting strategy.  The Browns have traded down before and not drafted guys like Julio Jones, but the problem wasn't passing on Julio so much as it was trading down and then blowing those picks.  Until they start hitting on their high picks, they're always going to suck regardless of strategy.

That said, I've been fairly impressed with their draft so far this year.  They've had a lot of unfortunate injuries (Coleman and Nassib both got hit by the injury bug while playing really well), but their rookies have looked pretty good.

Every position is littered with examples of players who were drafted mid to late rounds who had success, multiple pro bowls, super bowls etc. So that is my definition, multiple pro bowls. If a guy can do that he was a really good player in my book because most players never make a single pro bowl. And I am not saying these guys are HOF, just examples.

Here is a brief (probably many more) list of some QB's from just the last 20 years or so, all drafted after 2nd round, Marc Bulger, Mark Brunell, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady. All had at least two pro bowl appearances and I think only one didn't make it to a SB.

Talent evaluation and coaching to me is more important than draft position. Yeah, you can get lucky and happen to have the #1 pick when LeBron James comes up, but that's one in a million.

10 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

What the fuck is going on this season? Who's good and who sucks. Teams we thought were good start beating teams we thought were better, and then those teams lose to teams we thought sucked...

It's like a giant linear algebra problem.

You should never be surprised about home upsets on Thursday night.  I don't have stats to back this up, but I feel like the home team wins TNF about 75% of the time. 

24 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

What the fuck is going on this season? Who's good and who sucks. Teams we thought were good start beating teams we thought were better, and then those teams lose to teams we thought sucked...

I've been saying this for weeks in the Pick'em thread. 

49 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been saying this for weeks in the Pick'em thread. 

Yep.  Thursday night games generally seem to be like "bizarro football".

33 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yep.  Thursday night games generally seem to be like "bizarro football".

Not really. It's actually the easiest game to predict. Unless the road team is really good and/or the home team is really bad, you bet on the home team. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. It's actually the easiest game to predict. Unless the road team is really good and/or the home team is really bad, you bet on the home team. 

Agreed!  But I'm not talking about just who wins.  I'm also talking about how it seems to me that the Thursday games are just generally...weirder. It may just be my impression, but I think they are less typical in game flow, quality, etc.  Maybe the "Color Rush" is effecting my perception! :P  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would (and did) assume that one of the exceptions is when one team has won 15 straight division road games and the other has lost 10 straight division games.

Archived