NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

Already it seems to me like a lot of the Prescott magic is handing the ball to Elliott and dinking to Cole Beasley for four yards a pop.

Were I a fan of Dallas, I'd throw myself off a cliff, but on the way down, I'd be more concerned about the rookie wall for Elliott than the tape barrier for Prescott.

7 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Already it seems to me like a lot of the Prescott magic is handing the ball to Elliott and dinking to Cole Beasley for four yards a pop.

Were I a fan of Dallas, I'd throw myself off a cliff, but on the way down, I'd be more concerned about the rookie wall for Elliott than the tape barrier for Prescott.

Yeah, that's how it looks to me as well. I've only seen Dallas play twice this year, so the sample size is small, but in that first game (where Elliott was getting mostly stuffed) Prescott didn't look that impressive. It was a lot of checkdown, mostly. 

21 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that's how it looks to me as well. I've only seen Dallas play twice this year, so the sample size is small, but in that first game (where Elliott was getting mostly stuffed) Prescott didn't look that impressive. It was a lot of checkdown, mostly. 

Yes, his first game as a rookie, where they seemingly didn't want him throwing deep to protect him.  His YPA in that game was only 5.  After that game, he has throw deeper (more intermediate than deep, but their best physical deep threat has been gone while their best speed deep threat now gets the coverage).  You don't have the 6th highest YPA in the league by being a checkdown master (by comparison, Smith is 27th). 

The defensive game does step up here.  However, until he gets pressured on a somewhat consistent basis, I don't see any sort of regression for him. 

11 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Yes, his first game as a rookie, where they seemingly didn't want him throwing deep to protect him.  His YPA in that game was only 5.  After that game, he has throw deeper (more intermediate than deep, but their best physical deep threat has been gone while their best speed deep threat now gets the coverage).  You don't have the 6th highest YPA in the league by being a checkdown master (by comparison, Smith is 27th). 

The defensive game does step up here.  However, until he gets pressured on a somewhat consistent basis, I don't see any sort of regression for him. 

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not suggesting he's overrated necessarily, just that his success is tied pretty firmly to the success of his star RB. The same could be said for any offense in the NFL that is running a run heavy offensive scheme. I think we kind of saw the same thing with Siemen in Denver. In the games where CJ Anderson was running well, Siemen looked pretty good. When they couldn't get the run game going, not so much.

So, since the Anthem thing, Kaepernick is BY FAR the most hated NFL player, according to several polls. More than wife-beaters, child abusers, animal torturers...more than Rae Carruth or Aaron Hernandez ever were, by a wide margin. In fact, he is so far out in front that the gap between him and the second most hated NFL guy (Vick) is more than Vick's total.

Fuck, yeah!

What that signifies aside, it occurred to me that he might have the most collective ill-will aimed his way today than any NFL player in a long time. In part because there's no offset; plenty of people support what he's doing, but not in a way where how he actually plays is going to matter to them, whereas the vitriol aimed his way is always peppered with football-centric jibes. The fact that he's a 'back-up' is ubequitous in the 'traitor, don't like it leave' rants. So a ton of people want him to fail...and given our team, he almost certainly will...and relatively few will be cheering. 

And Ryan's the guy who broke Chip Kelly's system in the first place, isn't he? Could get really ugly in up-state NY today.

On the other side, his jersey has been one of the best sellers since this "controversy" broke out. I'm kind of hopefully optimistic about his regular season debut here. If he runs as much as Gabbert has lately, I expect to see a couple of big runs. Again, I don't think this is going to mean much in terms of the Niner's bottom line, but it should be fun to watch.  

Nice 4th-down stop by the Patriots' D to hold the Bengals scoreless in the red zone, keep a 3-0 lead. Got a 6th round rookie filling in for Jamie Collins and he is performing capably so far, though he came out stepping gingerly a few minutes ago.

And then something like 15 yards for Blount on the first carry with the Patriots taking over from the goal-line stand. Nice way to take a stand and get back control of the game, Patriots.

Don't like that the Bengals are getting to Brady though...

ETA: Eh, never mind.

50 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

TD Niners! 53 yd catch and run for Torrey Smith in broken coverage. 10-7 Niners early in the 2nd.

Kaep under threw that by a lot; maybe playing it safe because it was so wide open. Only throw that looked like his old self was that if-balance whip across the middle to Patton; I don't think he's 100%.

7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Kaep under threw that by a lot; maybe playing it safe because it was so wide open. Only throw that looked like his old self was that if-balance whip across the middle to Patton; I don't think he's 100%.

But he's looked pretty damn good overall, no? Certainly an upgrade over Gabbert, not that that's saying much.

18 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But he's looked pretty damn good overall, no? Certainly an upgrade over Gabbert, not that that's saying much.

Yeah, better than I expected performance-wise, I guess...just not there in terms of his tools; not exploding as much running, and the cannon's mostly been unused. But he's using the pocket better than last year, maybe because he's getting more than 2.1 seconds before the right side crumbles.

Edit: spoke a bit too soon, great play to get out of the safety, and he's started gunning it. They're talking about the DB, but that was a straight up drop.

Archived