NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

For the record, Burfict's hit on Bennett was in relation to a pump fake from Brady and he apologized afterwards according to Bennett. This isn't something you will hear about or see on the 5 second vines going around Twitter but it's true. He won't be suspended for it at the very least and rightfully so. 

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

For the record, Burfict's hit on Bennett was in relation to a pump fake from Brady and he apologized afterwards according to Bennett. This isn't something you will hear about or see on the 5 second vines going around Twitter but it's true. He won't be suspended for it at the very least and rightfully so. 

Sorry, but I get very little news from Twitter.  Bennett mentioned that Berfect apologized to him after the game, which is what I would do if I was a cheap-shot artist.  I have heard that Pittsburgh Steelers had their "Apologies to Carson Palmer for Rupturing All His Knees" down to a fine art form. 

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Is that the same (not very good) Tyrod Taylor that beat you a couple of weeks back? Granted, you were Tommy Watermelonless, but that looked like a convincing win from where I was sitting. Granted, I was sitting in my living room...

True, but it wasn't just that Brady was out but that a guy playing QB had half-a-hand (injury sustained in the Texans game).  Brissett was put on IR immediately after that game.  Also, Gronk was still *cough**cough* "Suffering from his problematic hammy" *cough**cough*.  The Pats had no real shot in that game.  Maybe the Pats should have brought in a capable pro just to manage the game, I'm not sure.

Regardless, it will be a different team in 2 weeks. 

I most fervently hope.  

19 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Then it's going low, directly for a knee, PI.  That explanation doesn't make sense if you're trying to exonerate him.  I don't give a shit if he shot Bennett 4 times, invoked Castle Doctrine, and then apologized it was necessary.  It's still horseshit and dirty.

8 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Then it's going low, directly for a knee, PI.  That explanation doesn't make sense if you're trying to exonerate him.  I don't give a shit if he shot Bennett 4 times, invoked Castle Doctrine, and then apologized it was necessary.  It's still horseshit and dirty.

Now, now... if there is one player in the NFL who should get the benefit of the doubt because of questionable hits, its gotta be that paragon of virtue, Vontaze Burfict.  

He's a great player and a fucking terrible person.  I hope he gets rickets.  

6 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Now, now... if there is one player in the NFL who should get the benefit of the doubt because of questionable hits, its gotta be that paragon of virtue, Vontaze Burfict.  

He's a great player and a fucking terrible person.  I hope he gets rickets.  

HANGING'S TOO GOOD FOR 'EM! BURNING'S TOO GOOD FOR 'EM!...

22 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Sorry, but I get very little news from Twitter.  Bennett mentioned that Berfect apologized to him after the game, which is what I would do if I was a cheap-shot artist.  I have heard that Pittsburgh Steelers had their "Apologies to Carson Palmer for Rupturing All His Knees" down to a fine art form. 

Oh please. Total false equivalency and you know it. Bennett is fine because Burfict didn't crawl to Bennett, wrap his arm around Bennett's knee, drive his entire body weight onto the side of the knee and trap the leg into the ground so the only reaction it could do is buckle sideways. If you want to go ahead and say Burfict's hit on Bennett is the same thing, go for it, but you're reaching.

14 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

No. There is no rule against going low on a WR. It's actually encouraged by the rules by making going high so expensive, even if the WR is falling to the ground. Brady gets rid of the ball quickly, he looked like he was throwing to Bennett and Burfict went after Bennett to break up the play. Brady pump faked instead and threw it over Bennett's head behind him. It's not an illegal play. If you want to fine him for going low on a player who didn't ultimately end up getting the ball, fine, but it's pretty clear he was trying to anticipate what Brady was doing and Brady instead pump faked.

I know Burfict doesn't ever get the benefit of the doubt but if you actually look at the context, it makes total sense. Players get hit low all the time. It's really easy to send around a single vine from Burfict's point of view and cut Brady out of the picture entirely thus showing how dirty Burfict is which is exactly what is happening.

Mexal, come on.  

Players can go low... but only if the guy they are tackling has the ball.  And that's vitally important here.  Was Burfict - of as he is referred to in NFL meetings "Repeat Offender" - totally fooled out of his jock?  It seems like he's just diving at a guy's legs.  The guy may be a cheating dirty shit bag, but he's not lost THAT many steps where he should feel the need to see a pump and then immediately dive-bomb at that player's knees.  If that's the case then I would expect to see that every game with any QB who pump fakes on the Bengals.  Frankly, because Burfict played a pretty fucking great game on Sunday, I doubt that a guy like that is guessing too many times.  

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Oh please. Total false equivalency and you know it. Bennett is fine because Burfict didn't crawl to Bennett, wrap his arm around Bennett's knee, drive his entire body weight onto the side of the knee and trap the leg into the ground so the only reaction it could do is buckle sideways. If you want to go ahead and say Burfict's hit on Bennett is the same thing, go for it, but you're reaching.

No. There is no rule against going low on a WR. It's actually encouraged by the rules by making going high so expensive, even if the WR is falling to the ground. Brady gets rid of the ball quickly, he looked like he was throwing to Bennett and Burfict went after Bennett to break up the play. Brady pump faked instead and threw it over Bennett's head behind him. It's not an illegal play. If you want to fine him for going low on a player who didn't ultimately end up getting the ball, fine, but it's pretty clear he was trying to anticipate what Brady was doing and Brady instead pump faked.

I know Burfict doesn't ever get the benefit of the doubt but if you actually look at the context, it makes total sense. Players get hit low all the time. It's really easy to send around a single vine from Burfict's point of view and cut Brady out of the picture entirely thus showing how dirty Burfict is which is exactly what is happening.

The problem with the explanation is he isn't defending the pass going when he does.  He'd be early.  It'd be PI, not good defense. He's going in, head down, not bothering to play heads up. It's the exact opposite of how defenders are coached. So maybe you need to fire your LB coach as well.   

Burfict has a fairly earned reputation of going for hits many would describe as dirty.  Like Suh, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, especially when it doesn't look like there's a chance in hell it was accidental. 

Well no. If brady threw it, he'd have hit at the same time.

I get that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and never will. Still doesn't mean I won't defend him when I see a vine and commentary going around by looking at the hit from one view and ignoring the context.

Anyway I'm done. No one gains anything from this.

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

Probably. If we don't make the playoffs though, he should be fired. It's time.

Won't happen. Mike Brown isn't going to pay Marvin not to work (iirc his contract is through 2017). Sadly, we could go 2-14 this season and Lewis will still be coach for at least 1 more year.

Are the Bengals really that bad though? They did lose 4 games, but they lost them to the Patriots, Cowboys, Broncos and Steelers each of which FiveThirtyEight claims have at least a 78% chance of reaching the playoffs (NE is higher, the others are clustered together) and at least a 5% chance of winning the Superb Owl. Of course, it would have been nice to beat at least one out of the four, but the bad record is mostly a function of the front-loaded schedule.

45 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Are the Bengals really that bad though? They did lose 4 games, but they lost them to the Patriots, Cowboys, Broncos and Steelers each of which FiveThirtyEight claims have at least a 78% chance of reaching the playoffs (NE is higher, the others are clustered together) and at least a 5% chance of winning the Superb Owl. Of course, it would have been nice to beat at least one out of the four, but the bad record is mostly a function of the front-loaded schedule.

Our schedule is pretty brutal. That's definitely part of it. At least we beat the teams we're supposed to though. Unlike the Steelers. :P

Archived