NFL2016 Week 5: Somebody Needs A Bigger Locker

Jace, Extat

38 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Hard to tell, but this angle looks more like he was trying to avoid one of the other Bengals. 

https://gfycat.com/DirtyCheeryDuck

I can't help but watch Gronk the whole time doing that goofy celebration.

I saw this video first and thought Burfict was clearly being dirty. He knows where he's stepping. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/video-appears-to-show-vontaze-burfict-intentionally-stepping-on-legarrette-blount/

28 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw this video first and thought Burfict was clearly being dirty. He knows where he's stepping. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/video-appears-to-show-vontaze-burfict-intentionally-stepping-on-legarrette-blount/

I thought it was intentional at first too, but I don't think the front angle is nearly as good as the one from behind. It also didn't seem like Blount was in much pain like if a 250lb guy stepped on his leg with much force. :dunno:

If he does get suspended, it is what it is. He can't expect to get the benefit of the doubt after some of his past shenanigans. 

3 hours ago, Altherion said:

Are the Bengals really that bad though? They did lose 4 games, but they lost them to the Patriots, Cowboys, Broncos and Steelers each of which FiveThirtyEight claims have at least a 78% chance of reaching the playoffs (NE is higher, the others are clustered together) and at least a 5% chance of winning the Superb Owl. Of course, it would have been nice to beat at least one out of the four, but the bad record is mostly a function of the front-loaded schedule.

Nah, they're not that bad but they certainly aren't a good team. And I mean that in the present tense. Could they figure it out and go on a run with an easier schedule? Definitely. There is talent there. Do I think they're capable given how they've played thus far this year? Not really. It wouldn't be the first time though. They did it a few years ago and the Chiefs started 1-5 last year and made the playoffs.

36 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I thought it was intentional at first too, but I don't think the front angle is nearly as good as the one from behind. It also didn't seem like Blount was in much pain like if a 250lb guy stepped on his leg with much force. :dunno:

If he does get suspended, it is what it is. He can't expect to get the benefit of the doubt after some of his past shenanigans. 

Still looks intentional to me. I also saw another video of him tackling a player in the end zone against the Cowboys when the ball wasn't anywhere near him. I've revised my way of thinking now. Anything he does is dirty cause it always looks dirty.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nah, they're not that bad but they certainly aren't a good team. And I mean that in the present tense. Could they figure it out and go on a run with an easier schedule? Definitely. There is talent there. Do I think they're capable given how they've played thus far this year? Not really. It wouldn't be the first time though. They did it a few years ago and the Chiefs started 1-5 last year and made the playoffs.

Still looks intentional to me. I also saw another video of him tackling a player in the end zone against the Cowboys when the ball wasn't anywhere near him. I've revised my way of thinking now. Anything he does is dirty cause it always looks dirty.

Fair enough. It's just so frustrating. He's too talented to waste his career like this. I'd blame our coaches, but it doesn't seem any of his coaches at any level have been able to get through to him. Sigh.

I remember while watching the Cowboys and Bengals game, praying that Burfict didn't get anywhere near Dak or Elliot for fear of him blowing one of their knees out, that is a shitty way to have to watch a game. There were a few shouting matches in the Cinci NE game and Burfict even when 10 yards away still managed to get into the middle of everyone of them. IMO the guy has some serious anger issues and he needs real counseling before he truly hurts someone.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I remember while watching the Cowboys and Bengals game, praying that Burfict didn't get anywhere near Dak or Elliot for fear of him blowing one of their knees out, that is a shitty way to have to watch a game. There were a few shouting matches in the Cinci NE game and Burfict even when 10 yards away still managed to get into the middle of everyone of them. IMO the guy has some serious anger issues and he needs real counseling before he truly hurts someone.

Well in that case, Burfict is the defensive leader. If Gronkowski is taunting a player who's on the ground either hurt or tired, as he did twice, Burfict is going to get in between them because that's his job. I don't hold that against him. It's the cheap, dirty shit he does when he thinks no one is looking that is despicable. 

20 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Well in that case, Burfict is the defensive leader. If Gronkowski is taunting a player who's on the ground either hurt or tired, as he did twice, Burfict is going to get in between them because that's his job. I don't hold that against him. It's the cheap, dirty shit he does when he thinks no one is looking that is despicable. 

Wow.  False equivalency much?  

Rob Gronkowski is being a complete jerk on that play- waging his fingers in the air and being a pompous ass.  And its HILARIOUS!  

And nobody is going to get hurt by that.  Nobody is going to have their ACL ruptured because of the way Rob Gronkowski pumps his hips; nobody is going to have their hands broke because of the way Rob Gronkowski wags his fingers; nobody is going to get anything hurt- besides their FEEWINGS - because Rob Gronkowski rubs it in. 

Burfict is aiming to hurt people not out of some sense of duty to his teammates but because he's an asshole.  And he doesn't do it by standing up to Gronk, but by ... stepping on Blount's hand?  I know that you specifically said that you think Berfict is a "leader" but that you don't like it when he does things like this when people's backs are turned.  Yeah, but Mexal: that's how this turd-burger leads!  That's how Marv Lewis ALLOWS him to lead: by being the most unbelievably dirty player who intentionally tries to hurt players when he thinks 100 million people have their backs turned.  

He's worse; he and what he does is so much worse; its not in the same arena as what Gronk does. And the league has to step in.  I am very sick of this - trying to justify one player's dangerous and injurious conduct by ... slapping penalties on excessive celebration etc.  Is the safety of the players a real concern or just window dressing?  I don't know because Burfict is still out there.  

What Rob Gronkowski does is childish and frustrating.  The muli-millionaires on that field might have to suck it up and deal.

What Vontaze Burfict does is dangerous and the multi-millionaires who run this league have to do something.  

What the fuck are you talking about? I've repeatedly said lately that the shit he has done is dirty and I no longer give him the benefit of the doubt. I've even brought up two instances of it all on my own! But lets leave it at that shit and not add crap to his long pile that he never did. dbhunting was saying that in a shouting match, Burfict got into the middle of it and he did. The reason he did that is because he's the leader of the defense. Whether you want to believe that is entirely up to you but it is fact. It's been said by Guenther, Lewis, Jones, Dunlap, Johnson, Kirkpatrick and Iloka. The defense believes in him and he is that leader and has been for the last 3 years. He's considered an extension of the coaching staff, understands all of the schemes, reads the offense better than anyone else on the team and gets players in the right spots. 

So the fact that he got into Gronkowski's face after he acted like a fucking child (which now seems to be legal) is expected. There was no action when he did get in his face. He didn't punch Gronk in the nuts or grab his facemask to twist his neck off. He got in his face, talked shit, defended his teammates while Gronk got into his face, talked shit and acted like Gronk.

I haven't defended his dirty actions by saying it's because he's a leader. I wouldn't do that because that's not him being a leader, it's him being unhinged and ultimately hurting the team through suspensions and penalties. I defended him getting in the middle of a shouting match in NE because he's the leader of the defense. And that's the fucking truth. Choose to believe as you wish but lets not make a post about how I'm saying he does dirty shit cause he's a leader, that I'm comparing Gronkowski's actions to Burfict's, when that's nothing I ever said, nothing I ever insinuated and is fucking insulting to me.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Same. It's kind of magical.

42 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

And nobody is going to get hurt by that.  

To be fair, being in Gronk's general vicinity does increase the likelihood you'll contract something by 50%. It's science!

Not sure where you thought Mexal was making a false equivalency Rock? I have no problem with Burfict for getting into shouting matches over taunts, as long as it stays at that. It might not always be smart, but someone on defense has to step up in those situations, for team morale at least. 

Yeah, I was just referencing his mental state. To me he is looking for a fight on every play and whenever there is a chance for one he runs to it. He also "seems" to look for a place to give a cheap shot in every game.

I sincerely think he needs counseling

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, I was just referencing his mental state. To me he is looking for a fight on every play and whenever there is a chance for one he runs to it. He also "seems" to look for a place to give a cheap shot in every game.

I sincerely think he needs counseling

He needs more than that. If you've ever seen his backstory, it ain't pretty. He's had a tough life.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Why the f*** is he walking into the pile if it's not intentional?  

He's considered an extension of the coaching staff... 

This cannot possibly be a compliment and is, in fact, an indictment of what is wrong with the Bengals.  

Gronk's behavior is goofy and yes designed to antagonize.  Burfict's behavior is designed to injure and endanger people outside of the game itself.  

When you dragged Gronk into this it was (at least to me anyway) an attempt by you to justify Burfict's gross behavior.  You said, "If Gronkowski is taunting a player who's on the ground either hurt or tired, as he did twice, Burfict is going to get in between them because that's his job. I don't hold that against him."  And that's fine, but how did he do it?  Oh, that's right., he stepped on LaGarrett Blunt's hand.  

And that's the false equivalency- trying to justify what Burfict does by pointing at Gronk and then saying "He was taunting a player."  That's no excuse for what Burfict does.  Burfict does not just shout and yell and stand up to guys; he steps on them and goes for their knees.  

4 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Not sure where you thought Mexal was making a false equivalency Rock? I have no problem with Burfict for getting into shouting matches over taunts, as long as it stays at that. It might not always be smart, but someone on defense has to step up in those situations, for team morale at least. 

In and of itself that's not bad, but Burfict is incapable of just leading because- as I said up-thread - his brand of leadership is endangering people, taking cheap shots and being an habitual offender of the safety of the other players outside the bounds of the game.  

There is a huge problem there because the coaching staff allows this to go on.  And on. And on.  And they are- by their own inaction - powerless to now stop it because Burfict is the leader of that defense.  Its both an indictment of Burfict for being an unhinged person and the problem of the Bengals for not roping it in sooner.  

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

This cannot possibly be a compliment and is, in fact, an indictment of what is wrong with the Bengals.  

Gronk's behavior is goofy and yes designed to antagonize.  Burfict's behavior is designed to injure and endanger people outside of the game itself.  

When you dragged Gronk into this it was (at least to me anyway) an attempt by you to justify Burfict's gross behavior.  You said, "If Gronkowski is taunting a player who's on the ground either hurt or tired, as he did twice, Burfict is going to get in between them because that's his job. I don't hold that against him."  And that's fine, but how did he do it?  Oh, that's right., he stepped on LaGarrett Blunt's hand.  

And that's the false equivalency- trying to justify what Burfict does by pointing at Gronk and then saying "He was taunting a player."  That's no excuse for what Burfict does.  Burfict does not just shout and yell and stand up to guys; he steps on them and goes for their knees.  

In and of itself that's not bad, but Burfict is incapable of just leading because- as I said up-thread - his brand of leadership is endangering people, taking cheap shots and being an habitual offender of the safety of the other players outside the bounds of the game.  

There is a huge problem there because the coaching staff allows this to go on.  And on. And on.  And they are- by their own inaction - powerless to now stop it because Burfict is the leader of that defense.  Its both an indictment of Burfict for being an unhinged person and the problem of the Bengals for not roping it in sooner.  

Actually, they're clearly only referring to Burfict's getting in his face and talking/yelling back.  You're creating a strawman by extending that to the actual stomp and low hit.  It's a dumb strawman, and could never stand up to your superior intellect, but it's not what the actual argument is. 

I think that what is being discussed here is the aggression of Burfict in its entirety.  If this player only got in verbal arguments after being taunted,  there is not a single person that would raise an issue to it.  The issue is his behavior doesn't just extend to jawing and clearly crosses acceptable lines. With his history,  he has no buisness being aggressive on the field in any way after the whistle blows,  and if he wants to stay in the game,  he needs to clean up his play within the whistle. 

I like Burfict. I would want him to play for my team under the assumption that he clean it up on the field.  I have watched him fairly closely this year since his return, and I think he is making an effort.  He might need to sit again for a few games to get it,  but I have hope for the guy.  After all,  he is no Bill Romanowski. 

Gasp! My crap computer has allowed me to connect! 

Because I don't have any friends and am actively avoiding my family this weekend I thought I'd ask if any of the old timers I used to know would like to go see the Titans-Colts game with me this weekend. 

A couple disclaimers:

-I would not look good as a lamp.

-If I didn't know you back when I was an active member I don't want to know you at this particular time.

-I haven't really been keeping up with the league in about 2 years, expect my football conversation to suffer.

-I am poor company. 

-I'm not offering a free ticket, but I am willing to absorb part of the cost.

-I can't stress enough how bad a lamp I'd make. 

I know Bones lives in the general area these days, but I haven't seen him active in some time and I don't remember where any of you guys are from so I didn't want to start sending out random PM's.

Archived