College Football 2016 - B1G expectations

dbunting

32 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I've often wondered if they did a pyramid type thing in the same vein as European football (soccer), if that would work.  Albeit I have only a faint understanding of how it works in that sport other than teams move up or down the various levels over time based on performance (I think?).  Don't really know if it's feasible in college athletics, especially with all the various rivalries and traditions, but I kind of like the idea.  

It's a great idea, and if you were starting completely over and could design a system from the ground up I think it would get serious consideration. That being said, in the real world of law and contracts and history there is just no way something like this could ever happen.

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, except for the sentence I bolded. Why stop at 16 teams apiece? There's no reason one or two of the conferences can't go to 18 or even 20. I know 16 is seen as ideal in some scheduling respects and whatnot, but if a conference finds that it makes sense monetarily or is politically expedient (because you have to figure a school like Kansas has some political pull that would be used top make sure they're not left out) to include more than just 16, then they would do it.

I have nothing to go on but my opinion, but if the Big XII finally gets busted up, I would not be tooo surprised to see some kind of deal where in exchange for the demise of a P5 conference, each member gets to go somewhere.  ACC is at 14 1/2, B1G at 14, SEC at 14, and PAC at 12.  that is potentially 10 spots right there - the exact number of teams in the Big XII.  The big question is just who would go where.  I would think WVU would be an obvious ACC choice but they've failed to get in before and now with ND's golden dick involved I wouldn't be shocked if they demanded their own pick as a stipulation of going all-in and that pick almost certainly wouldn't be WVU.  I guess the SEC would be a possibility because WVU was at least in consideration when they took Missouri, but this would be a situation where OU, Texas, etc are on the table.  

I guess that is kind of where it falls apart.  OU and UT are the gems that at least 3 of the 4 conferences want.  Say they go to the B1G - the Pac probably isn't going to be stoked to pick up TTU, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State.  Then what about K-State and Iowa State?  They don't really make sense in the SEC or the ACC.  

Truthfully, there's room for a regional conference in Big XII territory, but it won't survive as a major conference without Texas and Oklahoma.  IMO, the easiest solution would be to expand the playoff to 6 or 8, if the Big XII didn't feel at a disadvantage for getting into the playoff a lot of the angst would go away.  

Okay thanks for explaining those issues with the conference allignments. I like the idea of Athletes receiving a stipend, especially in the pro feeder sports of basketball and football. Two things with that for me-

I'd like the NBA and the NFL to kick in some of the share towards those stipend expenses. They are relying on the current system for a huge amount of their employee training, they can pay for some of that benefit by sharing the costs of training there future players. Perhaps some formula could be created and tax levied on the free riding NFL/NBA owners over this issue.

The other thing is Id prefer 8 conferences of 8 teams than 4 conferences of 16. It just seems like these unpaid student athletes are being chewed up (physically) over the altar of the "more games, more money, more games, more revenue". Seems like super conferences may even exacerbate that, I think the college kids are already playing a few too many games a year. Id be happier with a way to ensure student athletes only play 10-12 games in a season.

I said it before, but even if a team schedule plus some playoff or bowl system called for 12-14 games for the team, they could have a rule limiting individual players to only playing 12 games. The coaches would have to employ a little roster strategy on how to use his players, similar to other sports (MLB) but its totally doable and maybe less injuries could be achieved.

I just think currently we are getting too much pressure to play these amatuer athletes too many games and massive fan/TV/revenue appetite is driving pressure for this "more games. more revenue" , expanded playoffs, etc. If something isnt changed were on course to see student athletes playing an entire Pro burden of 16 games with zero compensation. Thats criminal not to mention knee shredding and a physically dangerous burden to a young athlete.

Anyways a lot to think about, but im still unclear whether 4 super conferences will be better than 8 big conferences of the same teams, if it resulted in more games in a season I wouldnt care for it without a rule limiting the max games a player can play in a season.

On 10/19/2016 at 10:52 AM, S John said:

.  I would think WVU would be an obvious ACC choice but they've failed to get in before and now with ND's golden dick involved I wouldn't be shocked if they demanded their own pick as a stipulation of going all-in and that pick almost certainly wouldn't be WVU.  I guess the SEC would be a possibility because WVU was at least in consideration when they took Missouri, but this would be a situation where OU, Texas, etc are on the table. 

WVU brings nothing to the ACC at this point.  It doesn't bring an appreciable amount of TV sets that the ACC doesn't already cover.  WVU's best shot, IMO would be to get into the SEC, because I think it would expand the geographic footprint of that conference.  Of course, maybe that's a reason for the ACC to snap them up...just to prevent the SEC from doing so.

I was at Lane Stadium last night for the win over Miami.  Nice bounce back from the Syracuse debacle.  It wasn't quite a vintage Lane Stadium Thursday night crowd, but it was closer than we've been for a while.  Always good to send the "U" home with a loss.  And memo to the media - for the 15th straight year, Miami is not "back".  Not looking forward to playing at Pitt next week.  If the Carrier Dome has been one house of horrors for VT, the other is Heinz Field.  We've never won there.  Hopefully that changes next week.

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

WVU brings nothing to the ACC at this point.  It doesn't bring an appreciable amount of TV sets that the ACC doesn't already cover.  WVU's best shot, IMO would be to get into the SEC, because I think it would expand the geographic footprint of that conference.  Of course, maybe that's a reason for the ACC to snap them up...just to prevent the SEC from doing so.

I was at Lane Stadium last night for the win over Miami.  Nice bounce back from the Syracuse debacle.  It wasn't quite a vintage Lane Stadium Thursday night crowd, but it was closer than we've been for a while.  Always good to send the "U" home with a loss.  And memo to the media - for the 15th straight year, Miami is not "back".  Not looking forward to playing at Pitt next week.  If the Carrier Dome has been one house of horrors for VT, the other is Heinz Field.  We've never won there.  Hopefully that changes next week.

I think it depends.  Realignment to this point has been mostly about capturing markets, but if the Big XII implodes in 8-10 years there could be a push for the 4x16 model that has been discussed.  If that is the case then WVU is the only P5 football and basketball school in the east and borders SEC, ACC, and B1G.  ND may not go all in even in a 4x16.  Perhaps the ACC would need to fill a spot or two.  I really do not see the ACC grabbing Texas or something crazy like that, they would likely stay in the east.  I guess the main competition would be from Navy and UConn.  I could actually see a push for Navy if ND is allowed to be involved in the decision, or decides to go all-in.  UConn has great basketball, but won't bring anything for football.  WVU does a little of both, has a large fan base, brings in more $ than you would expect, and already has rivalries with half the ACC.  I suspect WVU probably would have been invited in the last shake-up if they hadn't already been in the Big XII when Maryland left the ACC (assuming U of L had gotten the Big XII spot that WVU got - which they did try to get - Big XII fucked up big time not taking WVU, Louisville, and TCU all at once).  

Anyway, if rumors can be believed, I've heard that the football-oriented schools in the ACC would take WVU,and would probably also get support from the likes of Syracuse and Pitt (if not VT, though we are playing a few games soon so the Mountaineers can't be all bad).  Supposedly its the UVA's and the UNC's and the Duke's that have blocked it for so long.  Louisville's academic profile is similar to WVU without WVU's stated mission to provide access to a college education in one of the poorest states in the US, so between that and the straight up fake classes at UNC, I don't even want to hear it about academics - but I could see them giving that line again.  

I do hope the Big XII sticks together and makes it a moot point, and it might, but it really isn't anything WVU has any control over.  All rides on the whims of OU and UT and whether they decide to continue to rule the roost in the Big XII or succumb to the instability that they themselves have cultivated over the past decade or so.  SEC would be fine if an option, but I don't really want that outcome.  If WVU has to move again, I'd definitely prefer the conference full of teams I grew up hating.  

ACC, SEC, if you're scared, just go on ahead say your scared. WVU is getting adjusted to the BIGXII and won't be long til we compete year in, year out for a championship. We win games and we have adjusted to every conf shake up I can remember. They'll use academics as a excuse to not let us in the ACC, when in reality, their just scared. 

50 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

ACC, SEC, if you're scared, just go on ahead say your scared. WVU is getting adjusted to the BIGXII and won't be long til we compete year in, year out for a championship. We win games and we have adjusted to every conf shake up I can remember. They'll use academics as a excuse to not let us in the ACC, when in reality, their just scared. 

:rolleyes:Have to love inappropriately timed typos. Normally not one to be a grammar nazi, but love it happening in a post talking about academics.  

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

Surely Helfrich is going to get fired? The guy is Larry Coker all over. It's just sad to see how he's run that juggernaut into the ground, and Phil Knight can be none too pleased.

Coker is not a bad comparison considering that Helfrich was in a title game just two years ago.  

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Hey, I've never claimed to be a scholarly one. :)

Still have to love the typo timing.  

I will say, I'm rooting against WVU today.  Even though he's not with us, I still like Kenny Hill. He has a much better chance IMO of beating his undefeated opponent than the Aggies' current QB does.  It's going to be a rough one for me today.

33 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Still have to love the typo timing.  

I will say, I'm rooting against WVU today.  Even though he's not with us, I still like Kenny Hill. He has a much better chance IMO of beating his undefeated opponent than the Aggies' current QB does.  It's going to be a rough one for me today.

Bah, I think it's gonna be a close one, for sure. I see us pulling it out though. Something in this team I just love, they never give up, and you can see it by the way they play.

I was more being sarcastic in my earlier post. They (ACC) did not want us simply because we are West Virginia. Academics was their excuse, because we have many programs that are tops in the nation. I have no doubt that if we went to the ACC instead of BiGXII, there wouldn't have been as long of an adjustment period. I think we could have competed right away in the ACC. 

Archived