College Football 2016 - B1G expectations

dbunting

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

Apple Cup is on a Friday so it wouldn't be eligible for Gameday, but it's also the same weekend as Ohio State-Michigan so it wouldn't have gotten gameday regardless.

Also, does anyone watch Gameday anymore? I sure as shit don't, it's painful. In addition to the content being bad, they have got to get Corso off there. I respect they're trying to help him, but the dude can't form coherent sentences anymore.

I tune in for the picks at the end.  There's lots of little nuggets in there for being able to be conversational about teams outside my normal scope. 

32 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Went and rechecked the week 9 polls and in one of them 7 of the top 9 positions were still undefeated teams. Things could still change dramatically between now and the playoffs. Its way too early to annoint any of the spots till this plays out on the field.

Yup, lots of games to be played.  Several gut-check games coming up this weekend with at least 6 of the the top 10 undefeated teams going on the road against conference opponents.  

Clemson @ FSU

Baylor @ Texas

Nebraska @ Wisconsin

West Virginia @ Oklahoma State

Michigan @ Michigan State

Washington @ Utah  

Definitely think Baylor and Michigan will take care of business (though it's hard to tell how good Baylor is with their typically Baylor schedule up to this point).... but the other 4 are all likely to be tested.  Have to think the undefeated teams aren't going to sweep that slate, so the landscape will probably look even clearer after next Saturday.   

Hard to believe that Michigan @ Michigan State looks like it'll be a stomping.  I haven't followed the Spartans too closely and was a little surprised when looking at this week's opening point spreads that they're 2-5 and 04 in the B1G.  What the hell is going on up there?  

Missouri needs to go to the West (where they belong anyway) to help balance it.  Auburn makes the most sense to go East, but I understand there was a kerfuffle about that when the SEC added Missouri and A&M which is why Missouri is currently in the East.

45 minutes ago, S John said:

Missouri needs to go to the West (where they belong anyway) to help balance it.  Auburn makes the most sense to go East, but I understand there was a kerfuffle about that when the SEC added Missouri and A&M which is why Missouri is currently in the East.

You could arguably split the Mississippi schools, even if it's not the best geographical option.  Ole Miss Vandy and Miss State Kentucky don't strike me as cross divisional rivalries necessary of being kept.  Then have Arkansas Vandy, Mizzou Kentucky (these 2 pairings don't matter), and Ole Miss Miss State as the new cross divisionals, or even move A&M and USC around in that mix if you want the former Big 12's facing each other. 

Obviously the easiest way to add two teams was just to stick one in the West and one in the East.  However, as odd as it might sound; if you draw a diagonal line from just below Mizzou down to just below Georgia, you actually get a conference split where everything north of the line is SEC East and everything south is SEC West.  If that sort of thing matters anyways.

The west absolutely is stacked, but in the early 2000's Bama, Auburn, and (pre Saban) LSU were all down while Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee was the murderers row.  These things always go in cycles.

Hard to believe that Michigan @ Michigan State looks like it'll be a stomping.  I haven't followed the Spartans too closely and was a little surprised when looking at this week's opening point spreads that they're 2-5 and 04 in the B1G.  What the hell is going on up there?  

Yeah the cliff Dantonio's Spartans went off after the ND game took everyone by surprize. I'm not clear why the dropoff was so great, maybe I'll get some answers when I go home for Thanksgiving in the MSU area?

The weird thing is the new QB Tyler O'Connor looked fine early on, the ND game is usually a good early season guage for East Lansing. This year it turned out to be fools gold. Northwestern put up 54 points on em Saturday.....umm thats football points, not basketball points, Ouch!!!

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yeah the cliff Dantonio's Spartans went off after the ND game took everyone by surprize. I'm not clear why the dropoff was so great, maybe I'll get some answers when I go home for Thanksgiving in the MSU area?

The weird thing is the new QB Tyler O'Connor looked fine early on, the ND game is usually a good early season guage for East Lansing. This year it turned out to be fools gold. Northwestern put up 54 points on em Saturday.....umm thats football points, not basketball points, Ouch!!!

Maybe it will be as extreme as 2015 Missouri, our quarterback was using coke and our coach was suffering from cancer. The downward slide from that development probably ended on Saturday for Missouri so hopefully nowhere to go but up from here. Or we could descend to Kansas levels of football, but that seems unlikely.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:56 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I can be superstitious or a pessimist or whatever, so my fear is that MSU will see this weeks game as a salvation point for their season, something to be able to point to if they beat Michigan. I am going to the game and man, it's a long drive back and even longer if Michigan loses. I just wish it was a 3:30 kickoff, noon is early considering 2 hour drive time, kind of kills any real tailgating.

My season tailgating hopes are all on next week for the 3:30 Maryland game. Need the weather to hold on for us! I went to the Colorado game earlier in season and we couldn't do our normal tailgating because of rain.

^^^^ Heaven forbid the student riots that will descend down on East Lansing if Sparty is victorious. There are 40,000 students just waiting for an excuse to turn into couch burning, car tipping maniacs. A victory over U of M will set off absolute hysteria.

22 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^^ Heaven forbid the student riots that will descend down on East Lansing if Sparty is victorious. There are 40,000 students just waiting for an excuse to turn into couch burning, car tipping maniacs. A victory over U of M will set off absolute hysteria.

This is actually a thing people worry about?  

Michigan is a 23.5 favorite in the pick 'em.  Tough decision because it's a rivalry game and @ Michigan State, but Sparty hasn't looked good and Michigan really has.  I lean towards Michigan covering, but would not be shocked at a close game.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think the surrounding community is aware theres always the possibility because theyve seen it happen in the past?

I thought that was a WV thing.  Having been a student at a large school (~55k when I attended), we had some major wins, but nobody turned into vandals or pyros.  Didn't realize that was a wider phenomenon outside a certain school or two. 

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

I thought that was a WV thing.  Having been a student at a large school (~55k when I attended), we had some major wins, but nobody turned into vandals or pyros.  Didn't realize that was a wider phenomenon outside a certain school or two. 

Trust me they have a long, long history of it at MSU I grew up just South of that campus so have had plenty of eyewitness accounts of wknds like what you see here 

^^^ Thats not a  one off, but rather annual pilgrimage playing out there.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Trust me they have a long, long history of it at MSU I grew up just South of that campus so have had plenty of eyewitness accounts of wknds like what you see here 

^^^ Thats not a  one off, but rather annual pilgrimage playing out there.

Hmm, interesting.  My football traditions knowledge is largely limited to the SEC/Big 12-2-2+2.  Lived in Michigan in middle school, but wasn't a big football fan at the time, and we were on the wrong side of the lake anyway, so a bit removed from the big programs up there. 

Well, we couldn't overcome our Jiffy Pop Dome curse at Syracuse, but at least the monkey that is Heinz Field is off our back.  Frustrating game, though probably entertaining for anyone not emotionally involved.  We could have been up 28-0 in the first quarter, but couldn't take advantage of some turnovers, and let Pitt hang around. 

Worst reffing I've seen in a long while, particularly on calling pass interference.  I feel VT got most of the screwjob, but it was bad in both directions. 

And Pat Narduzzi went from a guy I couldn't point out on the street to one of my most disliked coaches in the course of one game.  Dude is a whining crybaby on the sideline.

Archived