Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

18 hours ago, williamjm said:

Went to see The Arrival, which I liked a lot. We don't get enough science fiction films that focus on the 'science' (or linguistics in this case), and thankfully this didn't forget to also include some good characterisation, at least for Louise and Ian although the supporting cast had a fair number of clichés in it. I probably won't see it a second time at the cinema, but I'm definitely interested in seeing if the experience of the film is different seeing it a second time when it comes out on DVD. Maybe the ending was a little bit rushed, I wouldn't have minded a bit more detail on a couple of aspects. I really liked the design of the aliens, and there was an interesting concept behind them.

I liked it too. There are a couple of clunky elements but in general the film-making is very strong. 

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Loved Hell or High Water. Awesome performances from everyone, especially Foster and Bridges. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis on the score was a pleasant surprise. 

Best movie from this year I've seen edging out Nice Guys, still need to see Arrival. 

I just did a rewatch of it and it's definitely top 3 of the year. Bridges should be getting some award buzz for his performance. I also didn't realize Nick Cave did the score the first time around.

I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time in years yesterday. I remember being terrified of the face melting scene when I was little. 

On 11/12/2016 at 5:09 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Where is this available to watch? I've been looking out for it but have no idea when or where it will air in the UK

On 11/12/2016 at 7:22 AM, Zorral said:

Where are you watching this?

Just announced that it will stream on Netflix in the US and UK on Dec.9

http://www.king5.com/entertainment/full-list-of-everything-coming-and-going-on-netflix-in-december-2016/354727555

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/11/netflix-uk-acquires-syfys-van-helsing-frank-spotnitzs-new-series-medici-masters-florence/

Just watched the first episode of Soundbreaking, a docu-series about recorded music, which airs on PBS in the U.S., not sure if it's available elsewhere or not. Just outstanding. From Sam Phillips to George Martin, to Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, and they didn't even forget about Dre. I think the finale airs tonight, I'm looking forward to diving into the rest of the series.

1 minute ago, matt b said:

Just watched the first episode of Soundbreaking, a docu-series about recorded music, which airs on PBS in the U.S., not sure if it's available elsewhere or not. Just outstanding. From Sam Phillips to George Martin, to Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, and they didn't even forget about Dre. I think the finale airs tonight, I'm looking forward to diving into the rest of the series.

George r.r. martin :D

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

That's great!  Thank you!

Also on the 9th we see that Four Seasons in Havana is on netflix streaming.  I very much admired that policier series set in the Havana of the 1990's - early 2000's.

And the incoherent luxe of Versailles. :)

I have watched about half of Sorentino's The Young Pope with Jude Law. Consider me greatly impressed. This series is profound, intriguing, gorgeously shot and the cast is phenomenal. It keeps me on my toes at all times. I love it.

9 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I have watched about half of Sorentino's The Young Pope with Jude Law. Consider me greatly impressed. This series is profound, intriguing, gorgeously shot and the cast is phenomenal. It keeps me on my toes at all times. I love it.

Agreed.Also,how great is Silvio Orlando (Cardinal Voiello),right? Fantastic actor,i especially found the scenes showing him as a Napoli fanatic very funny! :D

15 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Loved Hell or High Water. Awesome performances from everyone, especially Foster and Bridges. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis on the score was a pleasant surprise. 

Best movie from this year I've seen edging out Nice Guys, still need to see Arrival. 

I loved it as well. It was just a well told story with an interesting backdrop and great acting. Couldn't ask for much more.

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I found a trailer.Looks good! :)

The U.S. market loved them -- primarily, I think, because he translates so smoothly into Cuba the style of the hardboiled American solitary sort of rebellious U.S. fictional detective attitude, including the locations (rich party girl's daddy's home), characters and size.  But they are still Cuban of a certain class -- i.e. this is the very white Havana, primarily.

However the books' titles were all colors, not seasons, though still not the meaning of their Cuban titles:

Pasado perfecto (1991, translated as "Havana Blue", 2007)

Vientos de cuaresma (1994, translated as "Havana Gold", 2008)

Máscaras (1997, translated as "Havana Red", 2005) 

Paisaje de otoño (1998, translated as "Havana Black", 2006)

Watched Last Days in the Desert with Ewan McGregor as Jesus and Satan and Ciarian Hinds as ...some crotchety old guy. 

It's an odd one, shot by Lubezki so it's pretty, and sounds good but Jesus is so passive and the Christology is so low at times (seriously, if he's not speaking to Satan he may as well be just some dude named Yeshua for parts of the film) that you wonder if they really did a lot with the parallels between him and the (strangely compelling) family with the distant, gruff father incapable of connecting with his son. It's there but I dunno that it pays off.

Dunno how I feel about it frankly.

Archived