Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

On 11/29/2016 at 3:31 AM, Isis said:

Did you see it at the cinema? I really feel that his films work better on the big screen as they are a kind of all encompassing sensory experience.

No, and I guess I can see that. 

10 hours ago, Isis said:

Saw the Frank Darabont version of The Mist (the Stephen King story) at the weekend. Had really bad deja vu throughout out. Felt convinced that I had either seen that exact version or a different version quite recently. Is there even a different version? Is that the only version? I am so confused...

According to imdb there has only been one version so I must have watched it twice. :( It's an ok film, pretty grimdark (it has a couple of quite nice moments with creature effects*). But I'm just a bit narked that I wasted my time watching it twice.

*It also has one of the few screaming performances in film which even begins to approach Newt in Aliens

Do you watch The Walking Dead? Cause Darabont reused some of the same actors and that might be it.

Finished up 3%, was well worth the watch. Character were all well developed, nothing dragged on too long, and there were sufficient, well grounded twists that kept my interest throughout. The final episode did not go in the direction I though it would, and IMO set up very nicely for a second season. Which I very much hope they make. 

About to watch the new season 3 of Jack Taylor starring Iain Glen aka Jorah Friendzone :D. The channel site lists the new season as 1 ,which is incorrect since there are 6 episodes previously which aired across two seasons.

https://www.my5.tv/jack-taylor/season-1--2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Taylor_(TV_series)

Doing a rewatch of Justified.  For my money, this show might just have some of the best dialogue of any show I've ever seen.  If I were teaching a screenwriting course, this would be required watching.  Some of the lines are just brilliant.  It makes Kentucky slang downright Shakespearean. 

56 minutes ago, briantw said:

Doing a rewatch of Justified.  For my money, this show might just have some of the best dialogue of any show I've ever seen.  If I were teaching a screenwriting course, this would be required watching.  Some of the lines are just brilliant.  It makes Kentucky slang downright Shakespearean. 

Second only to Deadwood, imo.

Finally got round to watching Burton & Taylor - the little drama about the actors doing a Noel Coward play together starring Dominic West and Helena Bonham-Carter in the title roles. I must say that HBC's face has never looked more beautiful, it was impossible to look away when she was on screen. I feel she captured the multi-faceted personality as well as anyone could be expected to, all the way from professional superstar through to vulnerable, lonely old lady. Not so sure about Dominic West's peformance. I mean, it was fine but perhaps he just had less to work with! I'm glad I made the time to see it finally, do give it a look if you are interested in their story.

I watched the movie Dope the other day and really liked it. It had some funny parts and the lead was great. It got a little clichéd towards the end, but overall it was very enjoyable. All the lead characters are big 90's hip-hop fans so the soundtrack is predictably awesome. Also, Zoë Kravitz is the spitting image of her mom, Lisa Bonet. It's crazy. 

On 11/28/2016 at 11:07 PM, Castel said:

Saw Neon Demon..it was eh. Maybe I just don't get Winding Refn but he never seems to captivate me as he seems to have some critics and viewers since Drive.

His movies are pretty and he's a talented director but I find myself unmoved with that, at this point. 

I'm a big fan of Refn, but Neon Demon just wasn't that good. I was bored most of the time.

On 11/26/2016 at 2:44 PM, Astromech said:

I binged Cinemax's Quarry. Very good first season. Everything came together that final episode. I would have loved more scenes with Buddy and Carl, however.

Good to know. Gonna binge this maybe next week. I'm gonna need something after Westworld ends. 

20 hours ago, briantw said:

It took me six months to watch and I just finished it in July.   Yet I already want to rewatch it.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

First season is a bit weak, as every episode was essentially a "case of the week," but it gets really good and hits its stride in season two.

I'd argue the first four or five eps are like that but the back half of season one has some of my favorite stuff with the Boyd\Raylan dynamic. 

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched Hell or High Water tonight.  Knee jerk reaction, but that's my favorite movie of the year.

My favorite as well, just ticked all the right boxes for me. Arrival a close second. 

Just finished up Good Girls Revolt on amazon prime.  It's about women in the workplace after the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  I loved it.  Was really disappointed to learn that amazon canceled the show, but it seems the second season is being shopped around.  Either way, I think the first season ended on a point where it could go on to a second season or it could be a good ending note.

On 12/3/2016 at 1:56 AM, Mark Antony said:

I'd argue the first four or five eps are like that but the back half of season one has some of my favorite stuff with the Boyd\Raylan dynamic. 

My favorite as well, just ticked all the right boxes for me. Arrival a close second. 

Season 1 & 2 are actually structured almost exactly the same with a few standalone cases (and peripheral involvement with the back half), although I think season 1 has 1 or 2 more than season 2. I've never understood why season got such a bad rap, at least after the first time I binge rewatched the first seasons in preparation for season 3 (because I had the same feeling that 1 was much more than 2 up until that point). I've been dying to rewatch the final season, but I want to do the entire series and I just can't find the time.

That's good to hear about Arrival, because I'm planning to see it tomorrow.

Archived