Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

Finally got around to watching The Assassin by Hou Hsiao-Hsien, which Veltigar recommended a fair old time ago... really enjoyed it. It's an odd film, quite slight, rather slow and incredibly obtuse (it's a good job the box explains some backstory to the story it's based on coz otherwise I'd have been even more confused), but it's compellingly told and incredibly pretty. And while I do like the fancy, flowy Wuxias, I like this take on the genre too- both visually, pretty without the theatrical artifice of a Hero, and the action, which is fairly minimal, low-key when it happens and

in terms of the camera treats the main lady more like a horror-movie monster than the usual agile noble warrior/ninja assassin

which is a fun take on it.

51 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I watched the first episode of the OA last night. I enjoyed it. Little fuzzy on the details as I watched when i was half asleep and slightly impaired, but interesting from what I recall.

Yeah, it gets REALLY good in the last 15 mins so if you're a bit fuzzy just catch those again - or even the last 5 or so. 

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah, it gets REALLY good in the last 15 mins so if you're a bit fuzzy just catch those again - or even the last 5 or so. 

I will most certainly keep watching. Once Phyllis Smith got involved I was in!!

Versailles, which arrived this last week on Netflix streaming.

The UK reviews and recaps were scathing.

But for me, once past the honestly dreadful first episode, I found it, if not necessarily high quality, quite entertaining in a Dumas-esque "Musketeers" way.  This is probably deliberate, as Dumas did write Musketeers sequels set in the eras of Cardinal Mazarin and Louis XIV.  IOW, more "Musketeers" in plot and characterization than "Tudors."

Of course if the viewer doesn't like Dumas and the current BBC remake of Musketeers, s/he probably won't like this either.

The real criticism has to be that if one is as ignorant of French history and the personages who inhabit it, and what went on, which is probably most of us, one will not have a clue as to who what when where and why.

More with links here.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Finally got around to watching The Assassin by Hou Hsiao-Hsien, which Veltigar recommended a fair old time ago... really enjoyed it. It's an odd film, quite slight, rather slow and incredibly obtuse (it's a good job the box explains some backstory to the story it's based on coz otherwise I'd have been even more confused), but it's compellingly told and incredibly pretty. And while I do like the fancy, flowy Wuxias, I like this take on the genre too- both visually, pretty without the theatrical artifice of a Hero, and the action, which is fairly minimal, low-key when it happens and

Hide contents

in terms of the camera treats the main lady more like a horror-movie monster than the usual agile noble warrior/ninja assassin

which is a fun take on it.

I'm glad you liked it :D Personally, I would like to see Hou's take on other genres, because this was such a departure from the things I usually associate with Wuxia :) And this film was indeed incredibly beautiful, something the director is famous for (I haven't been able to see one of his other classics yet, but I know Flowers of Shangai is widely hailed as the most gorgeously shot film of the 1990's).

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Versailles, which arrived this last week on Netflix streaming.

The UK reviews and recaps were scathing.

But for me, once past the honestly dreadful first episode, I found it, if not necessarily high quality, quite entertaining in a Dumas-esque "Musketeers" way.  This is probably deliberate, as Dumas did write Musketeers sequels set in the eras of Cardinal Mazarin and Louis XIV.  IOW, more "Musketeers" in plot and characterization than "Tudors."

Of course if the viewer doesn't like Dumas and the current BBC remake of Musketeers, s/he probably won't like this either.

The real criticism has to be that if one is as ignorant of French history and the personages who inhabit it, and what went on, which is probably most of us, one will not have a clue as to who what when where and why.

More with links here.

I hated it. I never got past the second or third episode (although I caught glimpses of later episodes on occasionà. Imo it's much more similar to the Tudors than Musketeers. I found the Musketeers dumb at time, but at least there was some joy to be found. Versailles is such a moppy piece of work, it just doesn't work at all. At least the first one or two seasons of the Tudors were kind of fun, something I never got from this miserable, commercial piece of trash. 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm glad you liked it :D Personally, I would like to see Hou's take on other genres, because this was such a departure from the things I usually associate with Wuxia :) And this film was indeed incredibly beautiful, something the director is famous for (I haven't been able to see one of his other classics yet, but I know Flowers of Shangai is widely hailed as the most gorgeously shot film of the 1990's).

I hated it. I never got past the second or third episode (although I caught glimpses of later episodes on occasionà. Imo it's much more similar to the Tudors than Musketeers. I found the Musketeers dumb at time, but at least there was some joy to be found. Versailles is such a moppy piece of work, it just doesn't work at all. At least the first one or two seasons of the Tudors were kind of fun, something I never got from this miserable, commercial piece of trash. 

Which miserable commercial piece of trash is calling the other miserable commercial piece trash, hmmmm?  :D

You do confirm my sense that those who don't like the BBC Musketeers won't like Versailles -- I LOVE the BBC Musketeers!  The best best best best horses and leather evah!  :D :D

On 12/22/2016 at 2:46 PM, Astromech said:

I finished National Geographic's MARS six-part series on the colonization of the red planet. I quite liked it. It would flash between a fictionalized 2033 mission to colonize Mars and the present with insight from leading scientists, SpaceX, Elon Musk, etc. Very interesting. Now I can't wait for the second season of The Expanse and Bobbie Draper.

I just hope The Expanse lasts long enough to get to the Inaros stuff.  I was legitimately shocked by some of the things that happened in Nemesis Games.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

I just hope The Expanse lasts long enough to get to the Inaros stuff.  I was legitimately shocked by some of the things that happened in Nemesis Games.

I haven't read past Cibola Burns :( I have Abaddon's Gate on my bookshelf, though.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm glad you liked it :D Personally, I would like to see Hou's take on other genres, because this was such a departure from the things I usually associate with Wuxia :)

Oddly enough, the Grandmaster which I mentioned before attempts to do some of the same things- despite the more modern setting it is pretty much a Wuxia, but a very slow one, less emphasis (though more than The Assassin) on martial arts, lots of stillness, and an obtuse, not-too-much-explaining attitude to the characters and relationship between them.
It's just that everything The Assassin gets right, Grandmaster gets wrong.

Has there been any info on season 2 of Into The Badlands? It's been renewed, but its been over a year since season 1 premired. I would have thought AMC would want this ready to go in between TWD or something.

What kind of tone does Versailles have? Because I really enjoy Reign - it's campy and kind of teen drama like and totally historically innacurate but the costumes are gorgeous, the story is engaging enough, there's plenty of characters to root for and the lead actress for Mary is fantastic and the character of Mary in general is allowed to be strong, caring, intelligent, etc so for all Reign's faults the good TOTALLY out weigh the bad in my opinion.

2 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

Has there been any info on season 2 of Into The Badlands? It's been renewed, but its been over a year since season 1 premired. I would have thought AMC would want this ready to go in between TWD or something.

It's still 2017 - TBD.  Honestly, I think they should pair it with tWD, to hopefully leach off of its audience... but it's not like that helped it much in season 1, so what the hell do I know.

28 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Green Room earlier. Good movie. I think I liked it better than Blue Ruin tbh. It's pretty damn brutal. 

Agree. Saulnier continues to impress. Looking forward to whatever he does next.

Spoiler

That arm cutting scene was brutal as fuck.

Archived