Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

It's called Arrival. Not The Arrival. :)

We watched The Grey last night and I thought it was pretty bad. So many people have told me there was something special about this film but it was just like a made for t.v. thriller with yet another cliched Liam Neeson performance. Very disappointing. 

Been travelling a lot so I've been catching a lot of movies on the flights.

Saw Captain Fantastic. Nice family movie. Don't know why Viggo doesn't star in more films.

Signed up for HBO on Amazon and am marathoning my way through Westworld. On Episode 7 now, and who knew Maeve would turn into my favorite character.

Just got back from Arrival. Reminded me a lot of Contact. My expectations might have been a little too high but I don't think of it as a movie of the year candidate. For some reason it lacked a "punch." But then again, this year has been a weak year for movies overall in my opinion. Will try to check out Hell or High Water and Moonlight next.

I think that's probably why the "The" was stuck in my head.  I thought the movie was excellent, if a little slow from 1/4 to 1/2 of the way through.  The payoff was totally worth it though.  A couple sat near me right before it started and his body odor was ridiculous.  I nearly got up and moved but it was right as the movie was starting so I felt stuck.  He also did not understand the movie at all, and it was funny listening to her try to explain it to her while walking out of the theater. 

Caught The Hateful Eight on Showtime last night. It wasn't may favorite Tarantino and was about 40 minutes too long. The dialogue wasn't up to par for a Tarantino film. The best parts were the cinematography and score.

I re-watched Ian McKellan in the movie Mr. Holmes. The premise is a 90-yr-old Sherlock Holmes living in a world where he's a real detective and a celebrity, basically our world but if Homes was not a fiction created by Doyle but based on a real guy whose adventures were published by a real Watson. Anyway, it involves Sherlock's "last case" and Ian McKellan was robbed of an Oscar back in 2015 for this. Robbed, I say! He didn't even get the courtesy of a nomination. See this movie! 

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Caught The Hateful Eight on Showtime last night. It wasn't may favorite Tarantino and was about 40 minutes too long. The dialogue wasn't up to par for a Tarantino film. The best parts were the cinematography and score.

Too right about the score and cinematography! And those are also all fair criticisms--except I'd say cut 20, not 40, minutes. I saw it once in the theater in 70mm, so that helped me like it a bit more. I recently got the BR on sale during Black Friday, so I'm curious to see if it holds up on the small screen.

6 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I re-watched Ian McKellan in the movie Mr. Holmes. The premise is a 90-yr-old Sherlock Holmes living in a world where he's a real detective and a celebrity, basically our world but if Homes was not a fiction created by Doyle but based on a real guy whose adventures were published by a real Watson. Anyway, it involves Sherlock's "last case" and Ian McKellan was robbed of an Oscar back in 2015 for this. Robbed, I say! He didn't even get the courtesy of a nomination. See this movie!

Got that on my watchlist, will bump it up. :)

Watched the original of The Omen yesterday. Love all those classic 1970's soft-focus horror films. My favourite part is where a woman who is nearby when someone gets decapitated runs up to have a closer look at it and then screams, like 'oh my god, something awful happened! Let me take a closer look at it. OH YES! It really is awful!' *screams*

Ooh, also saw The Big Short Friday night. Ehhhh. It was ok. Not totally sure about the whole fourth wall thing. If it was a better film maybe they wouldn't have needed to do that? But, interesting subject matter and it would easily make you hate bankers if you didn't already.

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

That whole season was pretty weak tbh.

But hey, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

I did really enjoy the payoff to the "21 foot rule" though.  That's probably one of my favorite moments from the entire series just because it's so unexpected and hilarious.

Yesterday I watched Carol and found it to be absolutely excellent. The performances by Blanchett and Mara were mesmerising and delivered huge emotion despite being almost minimalist in their delivery. The two also had great on-screen chemistry which made the relationship so much more believable and compelling. Beautifully shot and directed, and incredible soundtrack to match. It was one of those films that didn't feel nearly as long as it actually was while I was watching it. 

I'm about halfway through The Last Kingdom.  It's excellent.  I didn't intend to watch it because I gave up on Vikings last year and just didn't want another one of those, but I'm glad I tried.  It's one of those shows where I don't want it to end.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm about halfway through The Last Kingdom.  It's excellent.  I didn't intend to watch it because I gave up on Vikings last year and just didn't want another one of those, but I'm glad I tried.  It's one of those shows where I don't want it to end.

Glad you liked it :) It's one of those rare series that is to short for its own good. I personally feel like they could have used one more episode, but the final episode is bloody brilliant as you'll soon get to see :) 

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yesterday I watched Carol and found it to be absolutely excellent. The performances by Blanchett and Mara were mesmerising and delivered huge emotion despite being almost minimalist in their delivery. The two also had great on-screen chemistry which made the relationship so much more believable and compelling. Beautifully shot and directed, and incredible soundtrack to match. It was one of those films that didn't feel nearly as long as it actually was while I was watching it. 

Kind of like being snuggled in a huge, fluffy velvet wrap. Everything about it is luxurious.

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Glad you liked it :) It's one of those rare series that is to short for its own good. I personally feel like they could have used one more episode, but the final episode is bloody brilliant as you'll soon get to see :) 

Ok, so couldn't sleep last night and finished it.  Can't believe this show doesn't have more buzz.  Soooooo good.  One of the first shows in a long time that I'm already itching for season 2.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Ok, so couldn't sleep last night and finished it.  Can't believe this show doesn't have more buzz.  Soooooo good.  One of the first shows in a long time that I'm already itching for season 2.

Netflix agrees with you ;) 

Started watching Downton Abbey at my mother's urging. It's very different from what I usually watch but I like it. Also watched an anime movie called Your Name and it was really great, beautiful animation and story.

I've also bought box sets of the shows Justified and The Shield, both of which seem to get a lot of love. I'm looking forward to trying them.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Careful or someone will show up snarling in outrage that anyone could possibly not admit that VIKINGS IS THE MOST SPECTACULARLY SPECIAL AND WONDERFUL THING EVER AND EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING INVOLVED WITH THINKING THERE'S ANYTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE LAST KINGDOM IS STUPID BEYOND TOLERANCE. RIPPED EVERYTHING OFF FROM VIKINGS ALSO

:cheers: :read: :cheers: :D

10 hours ago, Isis said:

Kind of like being snuggled in a huge, fluffy velvet wrap. Everything about it is luxurious.

Wow. What a wonderful summation of the film. I could quite happily watch it again already if I'm perfectly honest.

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Started watching Downton Abbey at my mother's urging. It's very different from what I usually watch but I like it. Also watched an anime movie called Your Name and it was really great, beautiful animation and story.

I've also bought box sets of the shows Justified and The Shield, both of which seem to get a lot of love. I'm looking forward to trying them.

I loved Downton Abbey. I have to admit it went downhill after the first few seasons, and it always had it's rather ridiculous moments, but I did thoroughly enjoy it. And the costumes were always delightful. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Careful or someone will show up snarling in outrage that anyone could possibly not admit that VIKINGS IS THE MOST SPECTACULARLY SPECIAL AND WONDERFUL THING EVER AND EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING INVOLVED WITH THINKING THERE'S ANYTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE LAST KINGDOM IS STUPID BEYOND TOLERANCE. RIPPED EVERYTHING OFF FROM VIKINGS ALSO

:cheers: :read: :cheers: :D

Wow, Last Kingdom must have a whole 7 viewers now! Keep it up guys, we'll soon hit double digits!

Archived