Anime

The Grey Wolf

5 hours ago, red snow said:

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. It took me a long time to get around to it as the concept didn't sound that amazing/new but they actually do some interesting things with it.

I watched it without knowing what to expect except that it was very well received and it didn't disappoint. It's a rare story in any medium I feel like I can unreservedly recommend.

Spoiler

SPOILER WARNING

Spoiler

Not a fan of time paradoxes but the story is well constructed around it, managing to merge the timelines cleanly with the memory loss occurring as the first future is gradually erased.

Seems that the second season of RE:ZERO is finally coming in July. Feel silly for rushing through season one in December now. :lmao:

15 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I watched it without knowing what to expect except that it was very well received and it didn't disappoint. It's a rare story in any medium I feel like I can unreservedly recommend.

Hide contents

SPOILER WARNING

Hide contents

Not a fan of time paradoxes but the story is well constructed around it, managing to merge the timelines cleanly with the memory loss occurring as the first future is gradually erased.

Seems that the second season of RE:ZERO is finally coming in July. Feel silly for rushing through season one in December now. :lmao:

I have a few of the directors other films lined up to watch although they say he tends to stick to the same set up and he perfected it with this instalment so I'm slightly hesitant. But if it took him a few times to strike gold, it was worth it.

I agree that it's a great story, full stop, and I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't bastardised it yet. Maybe with Netflix grabbing it in some territories they are considering it. Pointless exercise when they have the original but there are odd folk who refuse to watch animated films.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:34 AM, Proudfeet said:

Reveal hidden contents

SPOILER WARNING

Reveal hidden contents

The main character of RE:Zero, Subaru, is nicknamed Suffaru on Reddit. I kinda like the series but I'm worried that the first half will have a cliffhanger ending since the second season is being released in a split-cour format, with the second half scheduled for January 2021.

So... I recently watched the 2016 Anime "ERASED - The Town where only I am missing" after a recommendation. It felt a bit like a mix of Steins;Gate and Higurashi. And given how highly I rate those two stories, it should already be clear that I felt very entertained with these 12 episodes.

So the story is basically as follows: Protagonist Satoru is a 29 years old struggling Manga-artist who has to job as a pizza delivery guy to keep himself above the water. For some reason he is 'blessed' with the power of randomly jumping back a few moments in time in order to prevent desasters happening around him, though karma keeps balancing itself out by punishing him harshly for it. In opening scene he saves a kid from being run over by a truck only by being run over himself and hospitalized. One day Satoru's mother gets murdered, he is framed for it and the next moment he finds himself back as his 11 years old self a few days before two of his classmates get murdered by a serial killer. He quickly figures that his mother must have been murdered because she figured out the murderer's identity, so he sets out to prevent these murders that had haunted him ever since and catch the killer in the past.

For what it wants and does, it is really good. I feel like it severely lacks the complexity of Higurashi and the scope is a bit too narrowly focused on Satoru so that the rest of the suspiciously small cast never gets much of a chance to get fleshed out, but I do prefer the more serious tone while still skirting the line in between mystery and drama, nicely rounded up by the amusing running gags that bring some levity.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:16 AM, The Grey Wolf said:

@Toth

I too enjoyed Erased.

Nice to hear! How did you like the ending? I read that it has been quite controversial among the viewership.

Spoiler

I myself must admit, that while the killer had been blatantly obvious due to there being only one character of the correct age in the first place, I wasn't too bored by it. Though I must say I groaned when Satoru suddenly forgot all he learned about working together with his friends and fell into his trap by tailing Misato alone. And then nearly doing the same thing again 15 years later. In fact, I was rolling my eyes very hard up until the last episode revelation of the roof thing being a trap, only to then be annoyed that... he framed the killer with attempted murder by jumping from the roof by himself when the killer was actually conflicted about whether he should do it because of some idiotic foe attachment thing? That... didn't really check out to me... at least until I shrugged it off by remembering that he admitted to trying to poison the leucemic girl, so I suppose that was the thing the police took him in for.

Personally I also really liked that Kayo moved on without Satoru, though the fact that she did so with a secondary character she never exchanged more than two word with in the story before just highlighted to me again how few characters there are and how limited the narrative was by revolving entirely around Satoru. I would have loved some seeding for their relationship... or at least for her to marry some random guy instead who is not involved with the main story.

I also wasn't so sure what to think of the final scene. They... they really wanted to frame Satoru's second chance meeting with Airi romantically, weren't they? And that after I highly agree with Satoru's accessment in the first episode that he shouldn't pursue a school girl 11 years younger than him! In fact, her ridiculous loyalty to him in the modern day scenes I found absurdly jarring and once again made me worry that the entire universe in this has to revolve around the main character. Especially since I found it very hard to believe how he justified running away from the police with the entire explanation being him immediately assuming they are incompetent and will frame him no matter what he does and everyone somehow assumed the same.

So yeah, my main enjoyment truly was only the 1988 storyline.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Toth

I haven't seen it in a while but I do remember liking the kid parts more.

I suppose so.

7 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Have you watched Barakamon or March Comes in Like a Lion by any chance?

No, never heard of those. I had to google them and... they seem rather ordinary slice of life shows. Why are you asking?

25 minutes ago, Toth said:

I suppose so.

No, never heard of those. I had to google them and... they seem rather ordinary slice of life shows. Why are you asking?

I enjoyed both so I was curious to see what you made of them is all.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, Gigei said:

The main character of RE:Zero, Subaru, is nicknamed Suffaru on Reddit. I kinda like the series but I'm worried that the first half will have a cliffhanger ending since the second season is being released in a split-cour format, with the second half scheduled for January 2021.

Huh. Didn't know that. I really should pay more attention. Don't really mind cliffhangers though. I'm there more for the VAs, although one of the characters is supposedly dead. I'd read the novels if I really cared. 

Subaru suffering is the entire premise though. He resets when he dies. Not sure how you can make it cheery.

Archived