NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

2 minutes ago, Sir Thursday said:

I can see why the Bucks traded for Snell. Even before Middleton went down their #1 need above all else was shooting, and without him they're pretty much in panic mode trying to find anyone who can shoot a three. Snell can do that, MCW can't. And with the plans to play Giannis as PG, that leaves MCW as surplus to requirements - Antetokounmpo is a much longer version of him with a higher ceiling.

But I agree with Argonath in that I can't see the upside in this for the Bulls. They also really lack shooting, and are bringing in yet another poor shooter in the backcourt. I guess if they felt that Snell was surplus to requirements behind Wade and Butler they might have felt the offer constituted getting something for nothing? But I'm not sure MCW is much of a 'something' at this point, and he definitely doesn't seem like a good fit for this team.

ST

MCW still thinks he is good enough to start. He would takeover games instead of deferring to much better players.

Well, Calibandar, Rose has hundreds and hundreds of pages of discussing regarding him alone. He has been abysmal on court since his multiple injuries. His behind-closed-doors clashes with Butler were hinted at all year long. He didn't fit in with what people think Hoiberg wants to do. Writing was on the wall, and I'm thoroughly glad he's gone. I thank him for three amazing years of thrills for us. I live in NYC now, and still get to hear about him all the time. I am enormously skeptical that he'll be able to succeed in Phil Jackson's triangle. I think he could develop a nasty pick and roll game with Porzingis, with Melo and another shooter as outlets, or vice versa with Melo, and KP available for a kickout. Running a slow 90s style triangle offense is not going to work with that crew. I'm telling you, I am convinced he's going to be a middling quality PG, who will be despised by NY media and fans by spring. He's dumb as a stump on court and off, and hasn't shown his incredible explosiveness which was the only reason he was so dominant 5 years ago. I absolutely loved 2011 Rose, but he's not coming back. I think he's got maybe one outlier all-star year left, maybe.

Bucks and Bulls fans are just trading jabs insisting that the player they got rid of is worse than the one they're getting. It sounds like both teams are headed for disappointment if they expect anything out of their new acquisitions. 

Other than my team, there is a whole lot I'm eager to see this year around the league. Hating on the Warriors while heavily rooting for the Thunder - man oh man did I want them to win last year. Oh man. Still not over that. On a positive note, there are lots of really exciting young guys and up-and-coming teams out there. It's a top-heavy league with the top 2 teams, but there are about 20 teams who could make a good argument for winning 50 games, or a good argument for falling down to 35 or less. It's gonna be nuts!!

Yup. It's almost impossible to say who finishes second in the east, or who makes the playoffs.

You'd think only the Sixers and Nets stand no chances of making the playoffs in the East, but for the rest everybody is in there.

And for the Sixers I am not even so sure. If they get Simmons back in a few months and couple that to Okafor, Embiid and Saric, that is the beginning of a promising team.

If pressed to pick a top 5 I would guess Cavs,  Pacers, Celtics, Pistons and Raptors.

In the West it's pretty similar actually, I am not sure if there is any team left there that cannot contend for a playoffs spot. I'm not even willing to completely rule out the Lakers or Nuggets. Much of this has to do with the very bloated middle. There are 4 teams that you'd rate as above the rest, and no one outside of the Nets and maybe the Sixers who will suck hard.

Yeah, the Wolves are my annual Root-for-them-also team. I'd just love it if Thibs gets those kids to play shutdown defense, and lets their offensive talents mesh together. They could be a very entertaining team this year. Plus, one of my closest friends lives up there, and his 4 year old girl is apparently an enormous TWolves fan, and certainly an adorable one. She got on their jumbotron last year and was a hit.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

KAT absolutely destroyed Marc Gasol last night, and the Wolves feasted on the Grizzlies. It was 80-48 when Thibs pulled our starters (plus Wiggins didn't play).

No reason to believe the Wolves won't be a playoff team with deep run potential this year. Absurd talent on that roster and Thibodeaux will have them playing cohesive ball.

Jury is out on the Grizzlies new look under David Fizdale. He's saying all the right things, but I'm not sure the roster is where it needs to be yet. Compounding this is the fact big offseason acquisition Chandler Parsons' knee is still bothering him (because of course it is).  

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

No reason to believe the Wolves won't be a playoff team with deep run potential this year. Absurd talent on that roster and Thibodeaux will have them playing cohesive ball.

Jury is out on the Grizzlies new look under David Fizdale. He's saying all the right things, but I'm not sure the roster is where it needs to be yet. Compounding this is the fact big offseason acquisition Chandler Parsons' knee is still bothering him (because of course it is).  

Health is my only concern. Otherwise we looked good (except for Dunn, which is a little worrying). Another big highlight was that LaVine was playing crazy good defense, as was the whole team. 

I'm kind of down on the Grizz this year. I feel like they have a lot of guys who were good a few years ago, but are kind of questionable now. And they really overpaid for Conley and Parsons. They also looked really slow and unathletic. That said, they always look that way so maybe it won't matter too much.

I wonder if this year is going to be fun or not? We already know who will be in the finals. I guess I'll just have to live with watching GS destroy everything in their path.

I am excited for it to begin. 

Teams I am especially interested to see at work.

T-Wolves ( obvious)

Lakers ( to see how the youngsters develop)

Sixers ( Ben Simmons and 7'2 Embiid could be sensational and Saric a nice 3rd piece).

Thunder ( what will it look like without Durant? Can Oladipo really step up? What about Steven Adams?).

Golden State ( because it should be beautiful)

Clippers ( because CP3 is still in his prime and great to watch, because Griffin is back, and for Jordan's insane dunks)

Cavs ( I hope for a bounce back year from Kevin Love and Irving and James can be stunning to watch on a good day)

Pistons ( just feel there is a good team lurking there and I'm a fan of Drummond)

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

it IS early. usually the nba season starts the day before Halloween, doesn't it?

Started the Tuesday before Halloween last year, too, only two days later on the calendar (10/27). Guess it just seems a lot earlier this year because Halloween isn't until Monday.

The season is starting earlier, I think. They expanded the All-Star break to be longer, so they have to stretch the season a bit to compensate (and the extra is to try and cut down on the number of back-to-backs, which seems like a good thing to me).

ST

Archived