NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Stole the words out of my mouth. I knew I'd check the thread today and see Manhole's lamentations about breaking up the organically, loving team they had created in GS. Come on, it's one game and I respect the basketball IQ of this thread. Just calm down here guys.

Yeah, I realize this is an overreaction, and I too really respect Jaime L's BB IQ (as well as many others here) That said, when you have something that works as well as the Warrior's have for the past 3 or so seasons, I'm not sure it's smart to drastically change the formula. I know Durant is a beast, but it seems to me he's mostly an offensive beast, and I don't think offense was really a pressing need for this team, ya know? 

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I realize this is an overreaction, and I too really respect Jaime L's BB IQ (as well as many others here) That said, when you have something that works as well as the Warrior's have for the past 3 or so seasons, I'm not sure it's smart to drastically change the formula. I know Durant is a beast, but it seems to me he's mostly an offensive beast, and I don't think offense was really a pressing need for this team, ya know? 

Yea, I see where you're coming from. I just can't see how adding him is a bad thing, ya know? I really think, as other have said, they need a big man to sure up the paint. Other than that, I still expect them to be a juggernaut.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The thing is that the Warriors offense was effectively a well-oiled machine, and Durant plays a style that is completely different from the one the Warriors were used to.  This was never going to be an easy marriage.  There's also the subplot of whether or not Klay can accept his role as the third banana.  Given his ego, I'm not sure he'll be able to, and he's on record saying he wasn't sacrificing shit (but let's be honest, he's going to be the guy who has to sacrifice).  I honestly think it might be particularly difficult for Klay because his team already won a title with him as the second best guy, whereas typically the third banana is a guy like Love or Bosh who struggled as the main guy and thus became willing to sacrifice their own stats in exchange for a shot at titles.  Why should Klay sacrifice his own numbers for a guy who they just embarrassed in the playoffs?

So it goes with super teams, though.  There's a reason they tend not to win it in year one, and it's a combination of issues working together and a lack of bench depth.

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, I see where you're coming from. I just can't see how adding him is a bad thing, ya know? I really think, as other have said, they need a big man to sure up the paint. Other than that, I still expect them to be a juggernaut.

I don't think adding a top five player in the league is ever necessarily a bad idea, but the Warriors were already a juggernaut with fantastic chemistry and depth, and they sacrificed both to add Durant.  It's a process, as they say, and they're probably going to struggle early on just like the Heat and Cavs before them.  Again, so it goes with super teams.  You can't expect to completely alter the dynamic of your team and just waltz out and dominate to start the season.

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Adding him isn't a bad thing, it's what you have to give up in order to add him, and is that worth the trade-off. This was a team that had extraordinary bench depth. That's been downgraded for sure. And Bogut may have been a shadow of his former self, but they don't seem to have an equivalency at this point. I appreciate you guys trying to talk me off the roof, but I think I'm going to have to see a couple of convincing wins before I stop whining. ;)

55 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Adding him isn't a bad thing, it's what you have to give up in order to add him, and is that worth the trade-off. This was a team that had extraordinary bench depth. That's been downgraded for sure. And Bogut may have been a shadow of his former self, but they don't seem to have an equivalency at this point. I appreciate you guys trying to talk me off the roof, but I think I'm going to have to see a couple of convincing wins before I stop whining. ;)

I think you Warriors fans are used to never losing at home for one, and certainly didn't expect an opening night loss. Nor did the majority of basketball fans, hence the over reactions. I certainly feel there is gonna be an adjustment period. But, when they get comfortable and the ball is spread around, it's gonna be beatiful to watch. I can see it taking til after Xmas until they've gotten a good feel for one another and got their rotation down. Then.....it's going to be a very scary thing for the rest of the league. Sure, they'll still have some weaknesses, unless they addresss them (which I think they will), but I can't see them not winning the West. Now, you know I am a fan of Bron Bron. In dont see them walking all over the Cavs in the Finals like 2 years ago. I think the Cavs will be a little better than last year. Why? I think Kevin Love is gonna have a great year. I think that title and the way he played in Game 7, will have gotten the monkey of his back, so to say. 

I don't know... days like today really make me frustrated at the state of sports commentary in our country.  First Take had a poll online today that honest to God asked the question "Did the Durant trade make the Warriors worse?"

:bang: 

Anyways, back to the floor...  AD has 44 points late in the game with the Nuggets.  Glad to see him looking healthier.

Nice win Griz! Hell of a comeback from down 20-3 to start the game. Small sample size obviously, but I like this more aggressive look on the offensive end. Young players looked good as well. 

Best of all it was great to see Marc have a solid first real game back since his injury. 1-0! 

5 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I totally understand why you don't want to mess with a 73 win team. 99% of the time I'd agree with you. Durant is the 1%. 

I do disagree on him being an offensive only player. He's got NBA All Defensive Second team type ability with his athleticism and length. And we saw it in the playoffs against GS last year. Like a lot of superstars though, he historically uses most of his energy on the offensive end. Hopefully that's one of the adjustments he makes to fit in with GS going forward. 

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Anyways, back to the floor...  AD has 44 points late in the game with the Nuggets.  Glad to see him looking healthier.

Jeez. I just checked my fantasy team and AD did go fucking off. :thumbsup: Love that he's a big man that can shoot ft's too. Hopefully he can top 70 games this year.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Jeez. I just checked my fantasy team and AD did go fucking off. :thumbsup: Love that he's a big man that can shoot ft's too. Hopefully he can top 70 games this year.

He's the first guy to go for 50 on opening night since some guy named Jordan did it.

Filled the stat line all around.  Bleacher Report had a graphic that said he was the first player with more than 45 points, 15 rebounds, and some mixture of assists, blocks, and such.

10 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Nice win Griz! Hell of a comeback from down 20-3 to start the game. Small sample size obviously, but I like this more aggressive look on the offensive end. Young players looked good as well. 

Best of all it was great to see Marc have a solid first real game back since his injury. 1-0! 

I don't mean to sound bitter, but that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. After the Wolves jumped out to an early lead, the refs hit them for every ticky tack foul imaginable while allowing the Griz to get away with murder. I'm still trying to figure out which was worse; KAT getting tackled in the paint and no call, Conley jumping on KAT's back and KAT getting called for the foul or Wiggins getting called for a foul when Z-Bo elbowed him in the face. It was so absurd. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't mean to sound bitter, but that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. After the Wolves jumped out to an early lead, the refs hit them for every ticky tack foul imaginable while allowing the Griz to get away with murder. I'm still trying to figure out which was worse; KAT getting tackled in the paint and no call, Conley jumping on KAT's back and KAT getting called for the foul or Wiggins getting called for a foul when Z-Bo elbowed him in the face. It was so absurd. 

You sound bitter. :P  

Nah, I get it. I did notice a lot of calls that went our way because we are frequently on the other end of that stick. But the Wolves also missed a bunch of free throws and had glaring defensive lapses on several occasions. Conley in particular was left wide open most of the night which led to him sinking 4/5 threes. 

20 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

When he could be bothered to try hard (not that often in the regular season, but always in the playoffs) Durant is a much better defender than Barnes. It will work out fine once the team get used to him and vice versa. But if somehow it doesn't (due to chemistry issues or whatever), you can still trade Klay for a good shotblocking centre and some decent SG and you'll be better off than you used to be before Durant.

27 minutes ago, David Selig said:

When he could be bothered to try hard (not that often in the regular season, but always in the playoffs) Durant is a much better defender than Barnes. It will work out fine once the team get used to him and vice versa. But if somehow it doesn't (due to chemistry issues or whatever), you can still trade Klay for a good shotblocking centre and some decent SG and you'll be better off than you used to be before Durant.

See that's exactly what I don't want to see. I love the core of this team as it has been for the past 3 or so years. I don't want to trade Klay for Durant. That may sound ludicrous on its' face, but that's my team. I hope as Tywin mentioned that one of their young bigs develops quickly.

On 10/26/2016 at 2:09 PM, Tywin et al. said:

How did they downgrade their roster at all? They aren't as deep as before, but their 8 man rotation is still better than everyone else's. And their starting lineup is significantly better. They just need some time to adjust to one another.

Because KD offers diminishing marginal utiliity. He's good where they were already good. Meanwhile, they now have no low post defense.

17 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Draymond Green is a really good low post defender and a very good rim protector. The Warriors played plenty of minutes over the last seasons with Draymond at center and held their own defensively.

It's a ludicrous argument being had on this forum along with the rest of the internet. I've decided to ignore it from here on out. 

Archived