NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Red Tiger,

How are Wiggins undies looking? Been cleaning them real good lately!

1. I barely watch sports anymore

2. *Looks at his numbers* What the hell are you so impressed about? His FG% is basically the same and he is shooting more. Asists the same, rebounds pretty much the same. Yay?

28 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

1. I barely watch sports anymore

2. *Looks at his numbers* What the hell are you so impressed about? His FG% is basically the same and he is shooting more. Asists the same, rebounds pretty much the same. Yay?

Why did you stop watching?

Anyways, he's leading the NBA in 3 point percentage. That's what I'm impressed about. And it's not his fault guys are missing shots. He's driving and dishing to the open guy a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyways, he's leading the NBA in 3 point percentage.

I saw that and im happy for you, but that number tends to drop SHARPLY over a season. I've seen this countless times with guys having absurdly high 3 point percentages and then dropping to normal levels (by their standards) over time.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why did you stop watching?

My boy ended Cleveland's drought. My other boy got carried by his team to end his career with a super bowl (even though im mostly a Giants fan). The Cubs won the World Series.

I just dont see how being a sports fan can get better than this.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

I saw that and im happy for you, but that number tends to drop SHARPLY over a season. I've seen this countless times with guys having absurdly high 3 point percentages and then dropping to normal levels (by their standards) over time.

Oh I know. I don't expect him to finish above 40%, but it's still a huge improvement for him if he can finish in the high 30s. 

Some conclusions after a month worth of play:

• Cavs and Golden State both look really good. Yes, as advertised, but still.
  • Clippers and Spurs as well. There is a very clear top 4 on paper and in reality.
  • Embiid looks superb. Cannot wait to see Ben Simmons added to this. Okafor is looking to be a disappointment though, especially when compared straight up to Embiid.
  • T-Wolves had a bad start but they will get better as the season goes on, is my feeling. Wiggins has had standout games, but some poor ones as well. LaVine needs to be more consistent, and Towns has generally been solid.
  • Denver. Better than expected. Good group of young players and guys like Barton and Chandler, Gallinari. I like this team. Jamal Murray was the n0.7 pick which some said was too low, and he is certainlu outperforming Ingram, Dunn, Brown or Hield and could be Rookie of the year. Unless it goes to Embiid (eligible apparently) or Simmons.
  • Houston is much better this year. Harden is showing he can share the ball very well while still lead team in scoring, and the rest of this team is not great, but decent.
  • Finally, OKC. Some more losses this week, to the Lakers, the Kings even, and now an ovetime win against Denver. I do think that is the sort of level this team is and will be at for the remainder of the season. If no one is brought in, I can still see this team make the playoffs, but the gap with GS, Clippers and Spurs is huge, over the course of a season rather than a single game.

So The Warriors still haven't  beat any teams of note really. Yes, they have a nice league leading record, but it has mostly come against tomato cans. They couldn't stop anything in the paint in the 4th quarter against the Rockets last night. I still think this team is going to have issues come playoff time.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So The Warriors still haven't  beat any teams of note really. Yes, they have a nice league leading record, but it has mostly come against tomato cans. They couldn't stop anything in the paint in the 4th quarter against the Rockets last night. I still think this team is going to have issues come playoff time.

They've barely played any teams of note so far, you can only beat what is front of you.

I haven't watched the team that much, but by all accounts Durant have been playing great on D and the team defense improved a lot after the terrible start, Draymond and Durant's rim protection stats have been great, so I think they will be fine.

1 minute ago, David Selig said:

They've barely played any teams of note so far, you can only beat what is front of you.

I haven't watched the team that much, but by all accounts Durant have been playing great on D and the team defense improved a lot after the terrible start, Draymond and Durant's rim protection stats have been great, so I think they will be fine.

I agree with everything you've said except rim protection, especially in the clutch (late 4th quarter). In all of their losses they've given up a lot of points in the paint late. They couldn't stop anyone when it counted last night. Harden was feasting inside.   

Still think the Warriors do not match up well at all with the Spurs or Clippers. I also think the nightmare scenario for the Warriors is a contender landing Boogie in a trade. They can't handle guys inside. AD has absolutely eviscerated them this year, LaMarcus Aldridge had far and away his best game against them.

Of course the Warriors could also become the actual best team of all time if they could trade Draymond or Klay for Boogie. The salaries matchup exactly on those, and both guys are locked in for longer than Cousins. That would be a real nightmare for the league.

Klay Thompson scored 60 points...

He touched the ball a total of 46 times.

In those 46 touches, he took 21 field goals.

Of those 21 field goals, he dribbled 11 times.

:stunned: 

ETA:  Oh yeah, did I mention he sat the entire fourth quarter???  :stunned::stunned::stunned: 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No idea what is happening with the quote feature on my computer.  Anyway, yes or no, Westbrook can keep this up for the whole season and average a triple double? 

No. It's hard to imagine that he will average 10+ rebounds over the course of the entire season. 

He surely won't average it no.

Still, his case for MvP is very strong and that is what I'm hoping for for him.

OKC is not going to go deep in the playoffs with this current team but Westbrook has been shining night in night out.

MVP wise, Harden has been keeping up with him and could be his biggest competitor.

LeBron has been solid but not MVP level IMO. Perfectly fine, no sign of wear and tear as far as I'm concerned, but you'd have to give the nod to the Beard and Russell so far. Can't just hand out an MVP based on reputation.

Durant and Curry are going to have a tough time winning it simply because they are spliting their chances by being on the same team, as predicted pre-season. And now they have Klay butting in as well.

After the Warriors hit 73 wins last year, I no longer believe any NBA record is completely out-of-reach. And Westbrook seems to be in the perfect situation to be able to average that triple double. The biggest hurdle probably is the chance that the front office makes a push at the trade deadline and brings in someone who starts taking assists away.

As MVP, as always I think it comes down to how you define "valuable," not just the argument of 'best numbers' vs. 'most important to team' but also 'on-the-court performance' vs. 'team leadership.' I think there's an argument to be made for LeBron in terms of how important he is to his team (both on- and off- the court), but strictly on the numbers I think it has to be Westbrook.

Archived