NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You'll also have Love open on the perimeter a lot. The only question is does J.R. start when he gets back or will he be their 6th man. 

He'll probably go back to starting and Korver will be paired up with LeBron as part of the bench unit.  He's a natural fit for those times LeBron runs the offense with Kyrie and Love on the bench.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:52 AM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I went to bed after the 3rd quarter. :(     

Awesome surprise to wake up to, though. 

I started watching something else once we went down 24 points. Turned the game back on to see how bad it was and we were only down 9 so I watched the rest.

Is that really a flop? There is contact and Green's shoulder does clearly hit his chin.

In football ( soccer for Americans) we only call it flopping when someone dives or falls without ( or hardly any) contact.

44 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Is that really a flop? There is contact and Green's shoulder does clearly hit his chin.

In football ( soccer for Americans) we only call it flopping when someone dives or falls without ( or hardly any) contact.

I think it was. Yes there was contact but the over exaggeration and laying on the floor like he was out cold is what makes it a flop in my book.

Thoughts on expansion?  The NBA is looking at 2 new teams.

Clearly Seattle gets a team.  But what do you do with the other team?  I know the NFL and the NBA are both desperate to try to plug into the Spanish speaking markets.  Do you think North American sports leagues are ready to legitimately move to Mexico City?

Obviously with the fact that Louisville seems to be the first option amongst cities other than Mexico City, this story has gotten a lot of play locally.  Now that Vegas is getting the Raiders, Louisville is actually the second largest city in the USA to not have one of the four major sports.  (I don't remember the largest, but I'm thinking its one of the California cities.  :dunno: )  Baseball won't work here.  Hockey won't work here.  In the NFL, we have the Colts, Titans, and Bengals all in our immediate vicinity.  But basketball... that might work.  Stick it in the Yum! Center and you already have an NBA quality facility.  Half the teams in the league already have a UK alum on the roster and would be an easy draw.

Overall though, I don't know how I feel about expansion for the NBA.  It feels like the league is already spread too thin as it is.

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Thoughts on expansion?  The NBA is looking at 2 new teams.

Clearly Seattle gets a team.  But what do you do with the other team?  I know the NFL and the NBA are both desperate to try to plug into the Spanish speaking markets.  Do you think North American sports leagues are ready to legitimately move to Mexico City?

Obviously with the fact that Louisville seems to be the first option amongst cities other than Mexico City, this story has gotten a lot of play locally.  Now that Vegas is getting the Raiders, Louisville is actually the second largest city in the USA to not have one of the four major sports.  (I don't remember the largest, but I'm thinking its one of the California cities.  :dunno: )  Baseball won't work here.  Hockey won't work here.  In the NFL, we have the Colts, Titans, and Bengals all in our immediate vicinity.  But basketball... that might work.  Stick it in the Yum! Center and you already have an NBA quality facility.  Half the teams in the league already have a UK alum on the roster and would be an easy draw.

Overall though, I don't know how I feel about expansion for the NBA.  It feels like the league is already spread too thin as it is.

Glad it'll be 2 teams. Having a league with an odd number of teams would just be confusing.

Seattle definitely gets one of them. I think Providence, RI may be largest metro area without a sports franchise (city itself is under 200,000, but the metro area is 1.6 million), but they may be to close to Boston to really fall for another team. Also, I don't know if any single city is high on the list, but there are no professional sports teams in Alabama or Mississippi. I know college football is king, but an NBA team in Birmingham would be the closest pro option for a lot people; it could do well. Louisville seems like a good option too; though I wonder if the NBA would be concerned about the college team overshadowing the pro team for a lot of fans. 

Mexico City seems like it'd be a stretch for a host of logistical reasons; including that it'll probably have a lot of trouble signing players. I know an issue the Blue Jays regularly have is that a lot of MLB players don't want to be paid in Canadian dollars and pay Canadian taxes and so the Blue Jays usually have to overpay for talent. I suspect an NBA team would likewise find that most NBA players don't want to be paid in Mexican pesos (I've no idea what Mexican tax rates are like).

And I'm fine with an expansion. There's a glut of talent in the league that's been ongoing for about 10 years now, and, thanks to improvements in training, medicine, and nutrition for high schoolers, it shows no signs of abating. Might as well expand.

Also, the expansion draft could introduce some fun chaos for the league. In 2004, there was only one expansion team, so the other teams were allowed to protect 8 players. But if there's two teams expanding at the same time, I'd think that'd have to only be 6 protected players, maybe 7. Which could really mess up some bench rotations for any teams get 2 players drafted from them.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

We'll have a true rubber match if we get both teams in the finals. Hopefully both squads are healthy and not suspended this time out. ;)

I guess that will depend on whether or not Draymond can keep himself from hitting other men in the genitals. 

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

I guess that will depend on whether or not Draymond can keep himself from hitting other men in the genitals. 

Did you see LeBron and Jefferson both trying to bait him last night? He walked away laughing. Of course there's no guarantee he'll be able to maintain that composure over a 7 game set, but I can hope. 

/Also we'll see if LeBron can keep himself from dragging his berries over another players head. :o

16 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Louisville seems like a good option for NBA expansion. I heard the area has massive crowds for the Derby and river fireworks/festival and we know that area is a bastion for college hoops. I'm curious @Rhom why wouldnt MLB expansion work there though?

Mostly I just don't feel like there's a ton of support there.  Some of that could be the lackadaisical crowds I see on the rare occasion that I go to a Louisville Bats game.  That minor league team is already affiliated with the Reds.  Plus, Louisville City (the pro soccer franchise that plays in the USL and aspires to try to get into the MLS) completely outdraws them in the same stadium.  I just don't see it.

The question about being overshadowed by the college team is a legit one.  As is some of the territorialism in the state.  Would you call it the Louisvile Mascots or the Kentucky Mascots? There is some history with the ABA having the Kentucky Colonels as one of their franchises that didn't get absorbed into the NBA. 

Out of any of the pro sports, this seems the most likely.

I agree that if the NBA is to expand, two is the correct number... I just don't know where you'd stick the other.  :dunno: 

Archived