NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

The NBA could just put it in New York City. Its big enough to absorb a third NBA team and New Yorkers deserve a chance to root for an NBA team that isn't cartoonishly mismanaged.

I think there's a lot of decent options for the second expansion team, but no obvious great ones to go along with Seattle.

Far worse than the pay issue is that players aren't going to want to live in Mexico city. Sure, the taxes suck in Toronto, but it's a safe, English speaking city that's a short flight from all the major east coast cities.

Mexico city is spanish speaking, has major crime problems, and is way the hell away from everything else. I would imagine most free agents would require millions to sign up for that deal.  Not to mention that Trump is likely to create pretty large anti-American sentiments in Mexico.

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Is that really a flop? There is contact and Green's shoulder does clearly hit his chin.

In football ( soccer for Americans) we only call it flopping when someone dives or falls without ( or hardly any) contact.

It was a flop. I agree that flops in soccer are more egregious, but that's a pretty standard NBA flop.

Plus LeBron has a history of flopping, so he loses the benefit of the doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was a flop. I agree that flops in soccer are more egregious, but that's a pretty standard NBA flop.

Plus LeBron has a history of flopping, so he loses the benefit of the doubt. 

Yeah i agree with you three.

They should replace Seattle AND Vancouver.  The Grizzlies had fan support but had the worst management team in NBA history.  They made today's knicks look like Auerbach's Celtics. 

Also the taxes for players in Toronto are not particularly high in comparison to all states that aren't Florida and i believe Texas.  They are actually lower than most. 

Vegas has no state taxes being in Nevada. On a $15 million a year player contract, thats equals several hundred thousand extra $ the player can pocket. That would be quite popular with players i'm sure. I'd favor WC Vegas and EC Louisville. 

Also I would like the rules committee to move the 3pt line out further.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Vegas has no state taxes being in Nevada. On a $15 million a year player contract, thats equals several hundred thousand extra $ the player can pocket. That would be quite popular with players i'm sure. I'd favor WC Vegas and EC Louisville. 

Something I'd forgotten is that players don't get all their game-checks at their home arena. They get their checks based on where they play each game and pay taxes on those checks based on where the game is held.

So that's another strike against Mexico City. It'd mean over half the players in the league would get one check per season that it was Mexican pesos that they'd have to file Mexican taxes on (for their away game at the Mexico City team), and that's a complication I'm sure the NBPA would fight pretty hard against.

It also lessens the impact that playing for a team in Florida or Texas (or Nevada) would have; since its only the home games that are state tax-free. The average maximum state income tax is around 5% let's say (maybe its a closer to 6%); which on a $15 million contract would be $750,000. So if its a Nevada team, its only the home games (plus away games in Texas and Florida) that have no state income tax on them; so it'd be slightly more than $375,000 being saved. Except, people who itemize their Federal tax returns (and I'd be shocked if any NBA players didn't) get a deduction for all state and local taxes paid; and any NBA player making $15 million per year is paying the top Federal tax rate of 39.6%.

So playing for a team in state with no income tax does save players some money, but not nearly as much you might think.

3 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

For the record, Tennessee also doesn't have a state income tax on wages & salaries, plus last year they finally repealed the ridiculous "jock tax" aimed directly at NBA and NHL players. 

Right, totally blanked that Tennessee has multiple pro sports teams. I'd lumped them with Alaska, South Dakota, New Hampshire, and Wyoming.

I don't think taxes are really something that players even consider any more.  With what they make now, it's barely even a concern to even the players on the lower end of the pay scale.  Plus, as others have mentioned, even players who reside in tax free states end up paying taxes on about half their games, which further lessens the benefit of living in a tax free state.

I think the main concerns for players nowadays is either being on a contending team or being on a team where they can get the most time to showcase themselves for a big payday.

@Maithanet, I need answers. The Wizards have won 12 in a row at home - what the suffering fuck? I'm not sure there's an NBA team that historically has had less of a homecourt advantage than Les Boulez. They've also somehow played 7 more home games than away games at this point so I await the swift, brutal regression because they've been godawful on the road. Win streak aside, I'm not convinced they're even decent and they're apparently banned from nationally televised games so I can't see for myself. So please tell me what the fuck is going on. 

Archived