NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

17 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Westbrook not voted in among All Star starters- bizarre.

Not really.  There are only two guard spots.  Harden has been a little better on a better team and Steph is still super popular and on the best team in the West even after Kyrie Irving consumed his soul in the Finals.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:51 PM, Jaime L said:

@Maithanet, I need answers. The Wizards have won 12 in a row at home - what the suffering fuck? I'm not sure there's an NBA team that historically has had less of a homecourt advantage than Les Boulez. They've also somehow played 7 more home games than away games at this point so I await the swift, brutal regression because they've been godawful on the road. Win streak aside, I'm not convinced they're even decent and they're apparently banned from nationally televised games so I can't see for myself. So please tell me what the fuck is going on. 

Well, I don't have cable, so I get exactly as many wizards games as you do.  But from reading WaPo, I get the impression that the Wizards have six legit NBA players on their roster, and John Wall is one of them.  The result is that they are definitely good enough to beat bad teams pretty consistently.  However, six NBA players doesn't leave much of a bench, and when Wall sits down the team goes from "noticeably above average" to "OMG MY EYES ARE BLEEDING". 

I suspect the home/away thing is just coincidence.  They'll probably finish with like the #6 seed and put up a spirited but futile effort before being eliminated by the Celtics. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Not really.  There are only two guard spots.  Harden has been a little better on a better team and Steph is still super popular and on the best team in the West even after Kyrie Irving consumed his soul in the Finals.

I realize there are only two guard spots but they should have gone to Westbrook and Harden based on actual performance.

These are the two guys who are front runners for MVP imo, so they should certainly start in the All Star Game for the West.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:51 PM, Jaime L said:

@Maithanet, I need answers. The Wizards have won 12 in a row at home - what the suffering fuck? I'm not sure there's an NBA team that historically has had less of a homecourt advantage than Les Boulez. They've also somehow played 7 more home games than away games at this point so I await the swift, brutal regression because they've been godawful on the road. Win streak aside, I'm not convinced they're even decent and they're apparently banned from nationally televised games so I can't see for myself. So please tell me what the fuck is going on. 

I never see them on TV, which seems odd to me.  With the current fascination the country has with zombies, it really seems like the NBA could market the Wizards well utilizing the fact that they have an honest to god actual zombie out there in the reanimated corpse of Bradley Beal.  Just seems like a missed opportunity.  :dunno: 

24 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I realize there are only two guard spots but they should have gone to Westbrook and Harden based on actual performance.

These are the two guys who are front runners for MVP imo, so they should certainly start in the All Star Game for the West.

And Yao Ming never should have been an All Star starter either... but when you open it up to fan voting, this is what you get.

I will say though, I'm impressed in the fans voting for Giannis Antetokounmpko (Christ that was hard to spell... had to switch between internet tabs more than I want to admit to get that right!) into the East.  He plays in Milwaukee of all places and his last name almost takes up the entire 140 characters needed to tweet your vote out!

Westbrook not starting  has got to be the biggest snub in the history of major sports all-star games. Dude is having a season that will go down as one of the 5 or so best performances in NBA history and isn't starting the all-star game.

40 minutes ago, sperry said:

Westbrook not starting  has got to be the biggest snub in the history of major sports all-star games. Dude is having a season that will go down as one of the 5 or so best performances in NBA history and isn't starting the all-star game.

I agree.

I know the NBA has tried to rework the process by including the player vote and weighting things differently, but this still makes for an obvious omission.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Well, I don't have cable, so I get exactly as many wizards games as you do.  But from reading WaPo, I get the impression that the Wizards have six legit NBA players on their roster, and John Wall is one of them.  The result is that they are definitely good enough to beat bad teams pretty consistently.  However, six NBA players doesn't leave much of a bench, and when Wall sits down the team goes from "noticeably above average" to "OMG MY EYES ARE BLEEDING". 

I suspect the home/away thing is just coincidence.  They'll probably finish with like the #6 seed and put up a spirited but futile effort before being eliminated by the Celtics. 

Wait, who's the 6th NBA player? Just looking at PER this team has 3 guys carrying the load (Wall, Beal, Porter) and Gortat/Morris are below average but at least respectable NBA players. And everyone else is a fucking travesty. Using Hollinger's description of guys in the 9-11 PER range: "fringe roster player" and that's our entire bench! 

But yeah after last year I just hope they make the playoffs. There's like 11 potential playoff teams in the East and it's tightly packed on the back end. Go on a 3 game losing streak and could easily be the 9th seed. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I never see them on TV, which seems odd to me.  With the current fascination the country has with zombies, it really seems like the NBA could market the Wizards well utilizing the fact that they have an honest to god actual zombie out there in the reanimated corpse of Bradley Beal.  Just seems like a missed opportunity.  :dunno: 

The other thing is you only hear about zombies being terrible and straight up murdering people. Think it would be big for America to have a positive role model doing his thing out there, showing off that $137m 3 point stroke. 

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Wait, who's the 6th NBA player? Just looking at PER this team has 3 guys carrying the load (Wall, Beal, Porter) and Gortat/Morris are below average but at least respectable NBA players. And everyone else is a fucking travesty. Using Hollinger's description of guys in the 9-11 PER range: "fringe roster player" and that's our entire bench!

Kelly Oubre is young and still making some mistakes, but he's definitely an NBA player.  His defensive game shows promise, and if he can develop his 3 point shot, he'll have a long career. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Re Westbrook, i read there have been multiple seasons where MVP didn't start in the all star game.  I think Steve Nash is most recent.

Westbrook won't be winning the MVP, though.  Not unless his team ends up in the top four in the West.  Personally, I think the MVP is Harden's to lose.  His team is better than Westbrook's and he's putting up similar stats on better efficiency.  Durant won't win because he joined Curry's team.  Curry won't win because he's no longer the best player on his own team.  LeBron always has a shot, but I think they'll go with the fresh face this year and select Harden.

So were close to midseason,

Two biggest and pleasant surprizes for me thus far have been the impressive play of Utah and Houston.

Most painful, dissapointing team for me has been my Pistons, which have been suffering from some key injuries. I like to think of them thus far as failure to launch.

Still plenty of season hopefully I can see a reversal of fortunes for Motown yet.

Another observation, I dont think Isiah Thomas got named as AllStar starter for E.C. guards, imo he should have.

Ok, high comedy is the Wizards arriving to the arena ALL-IN-BLACK for game #45 of the endless NBA regular season to indicate they're on a revenge mission against the Celtics because of some ridiculous beef. 

Of course Bradley Beal is down for a funeral! 

On 1/22/2017 at 9:01 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

So were close to midseason,

Two biggest and pleasant surprizes for me thus far have been the impressive play of Utah and Houston.

Other things that have stood out for me is how good Giannis has been, and how Jabari Parker has been a great contributor as well. In addition to that of course, Joel Embiid, who's been sensational.

The T-Wolves are picking up a bit as well of late, led by Towns and Wiggins.

10 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Of course Bradley Beal is down for a funeral! 

I was at that game, one of my friends was certain there was going to be a fight and we needed to see it.  Beal was on fire, he must have been pissed the funeral was cancelled.

But on the plus side, the Wizards beat two decent teams in a back-to-back, that's pretty hard for an angry zombie with only 5 competent teammates.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I was at that game, one of my friends was certain there was going to be a fight and we needed to see it.  Beal was on fire, he must have been pissed the funeral was cancelled.

But on the plus side, the Wizards beat two decent teams in a back-to-back, that's pretty hard for an angry zombie with only 5 competent teammates.

That's cool you went. Sounds like the funeral was Beal's idea so he had to make sure someone was getting buried.

I'm starting to be less skeptical - they're only 1.5 games behind the Celtics for the #3 spot now which is nuts considering how shitty the start was. And apparently Otto freaking Porter is the most efficient scorer in the NBA right now. Basically when the big 3 is on the floor they're really good but during the stretches where any of them sits, shit deteriorates fast. @Atlanta will be another good measuring stick in two nights. 

24 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

That's cool you went. Sounds like the funeral was Beal's idea so he had to make sure someone was getting buried.

I'm starting to be less skeptical - they're only 1.5 games behind the Celtics for the #3 spot now which is nuts considering how shitty the start was. And apparently Otto freaking Porter is the most efficient scorer in the NBA right now. Basically when the big 3 is on the floor they're really good but during the stretches where any of them sits, shit deteriorates fast. @Atlanta will be another good measuring stick in two nights.

So I'll admit that most of the NBA I watch is the playoffs, but I noticed something interesting.  The Wizards bench is horrible, so if they put in 5 bench players it is a nightmare.  In the Celtics game, there was never a point when all of the starters were out, instead it was either 1-2 starters holding things down while the others got some rest.  This meant that there was a lot less time available with the true starters together, but it also meant that the dropoff with the bench was much less noticeable. 

I realize this isn't exactly rocket science or anything, but do other teams do this a lot?  In the playoffs I feel like usually the starters play together, and then the bench guys come in for a few to try and give them a rest, but the idea is that the starters have great chemistry with each other. 

I think the regular ideal is to have a 2nd unit that can give starters a break while not giving away the game. It adds up over 82 games. Sometimes young guys that aren't even that good get solid regular season minutes just to give them development and experience. 

In the playoffs a lot of player rotation usually gets cut out in favor of situational substitions. The best teams always have a solid bench that holds it together. But weve seen years in the playoffs where guys like Kobe and such will just play the entire game without being subbed.

Why i think it will be difficult for Wizards to maintain this level of play in the long run  if they can't let too many starters rest. 

In college, its definitely just subbing in a guy or two and meshing them together.  That's really because going legit 10 deep on a college roster is essentially unheard of.  :dunno: 

In other news, saw the roster for the Rising Stars Challenge. 

Sign me up!  This sounds much more entertaining than the All Star Game.

Archived