NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

3 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Griz have the Wolves again tomorrow night.  Hope we are more competitive than that game last week. :blink:   

Don't forget, Wiggins didn't even play :P. That said, I'm sure it will be a lot more competitive. 

Pre-tipoff test of your general knowledge: how many NBA players can you name?

Eastern Conference: http://www.sporcle.com/games/PistonPowered/2016-17-nba-opening-night-rosters

Western Conference: http://www.sporcle.com/games/PistonPowered/2016-17-nba-opening-night-rosters-western-conference

It's pretty brutal! I managed 127/244 in the East and 140/245 in the West...guess I don't know the league as well as I thought.

ST

I was just making a list of the, IMO, 5 best players at each position.

PG:

• Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Lillard and Irving. John Wall and Kemba Walker just outside the cut.

SG:

• Harden, Thompson, Butler, De Rozan and struggling to find 5. Wade? Redick?

SF:

• Durant, LeBron, Leonard, George and struggling to find 5. Carmelo?

PF:

• Davis, Towns, Griffin, Aldridge, Love. I could have put Davis and Towns under center as well.

Center:

• Cousins, DeAndre Jordan, Adams, Drummond, Whiteside. Maybe Gasol deserves to be in here. Maybe Dwight.

7 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

SG:

• Harden, Thompson, Butler, De Rozan and struggling to find 5. Wade? Redick?

SF:

• Durant, LeBron, Leonard, George and struggling to find 5. Carmelo?

Center:

• Cousins, DeAndre Jordan, Adams, Drummond, Whiteside. Maybe Gasol deserves to be in here. Maybe Dwight.

SG: McCollum, Beal or maybe Avery Bradley

SF: Crowder or Iguodala? I'm not a big fan of Carmelo.

Center: I'll take KAT over any of those guys except maybe Cousins. And I think I'd go Horford over Whiteside.

Kind of crazy that the Cavs are raising their championship banner on the same night the Indians are playing at home for their own championship.  As a lifelong Cleveland sports fan, never thought I'd see a day like this.  The only thing that keeps me from believing we've slipped into some alternate universe is that the Browns still suck.

Spurs deserved that win. They totally outplayed the Warriors. That said, the Warriors will be fine. It's probably going to take them 10-15 games to figure out everyone's roles though.

Also, did anyone else notice in the third quarter that it seemed like 15 straight fouls went against the Dubs when they were starting to make a run? 

Also also, sounds like Kerr's coaching career is going to be a short one. His back issues are causing him mental lapses and horrific headaches. 

But seriously, who didn't see the Warriors dropping game one of the season? That seemed like the most obvious bet of the year. I think they'll be fine long-term, and that this isn't a Lakers 2012 season, but them having jitters at first while trying to figure out how they'd flow in real games is totally expected.

LeBron starting strong also seemed like it'd be pretty likely to happen; I agree with Bill Simmons' column on this one. It doesn't matter that he's already brought Cleveland to the promised land, he's a competitive guy and getting relegated to "the field" in the offseason by everyone talking up the Warriors (who he already beat!) is going to drive him all season long.

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well, that blew. The Warriors really need a big man in the middle. They just got crushed on the boards.

I've been saying it the whole offseason, but Bogut is really good.  I don't think they seriously downgraded the roster by getting KD, which is why I never thought the move would happen when rumors started last year. Yeah, he's a great scorer, but for him to score he has to take shots away from Klay Thompson and Steph, which means they aren't improving in efficiency much. I still think they're really good and could win the title, but I don't think they're as good as last year, and I think they definitely left some glaring holes in their lineup.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

But seriously, who didn't see the Warriors dropping game one of the season? That seemed like the most obvious bet of the year. I think they'll be fine long-term, and that this isn't a Lakers 2012 season, but them having jitters at first while trying to figure out how they'd flow in real games is totally expected.

LeBron starting strong also seemed like it'd be pretty likely to happen; I agree with Bill Simmons' column on this one. It doesn't matter that he's already brought Cleveland to the promised land, he's a competitive guy and getting relegated to "the field" in the offseason by everyone talking up the Warriors (who he already beat!) is going to drive him all season long.

I also think that LeBron and the rest of the Cavs are going to play a lot looser and more carefree this year, which will benefit them all.  LeBron finally has the monkey off his back and brought his title to Cleveland, and so this year there's no pressure.  If he doesn't win it all this year, no big deal.  If he does, it's just another feather in a cap loaded with them.  The same is true for the rest of the team.  They made their statement last year and they're going to be immortalized as gods in Cleveland forever for bringing the city its first title in over fifty years.  Anything they add to that is just gravy.  I also don't think there is going to be any locker room drama or any similar nonsense now that they've won.  The Warriors, not the Cavs, are going to be the team hearing all the hot takes this season.

Archived